Garrett AT Gold Pros & Cons

Dakota

Works great.  It is Garrett's #1 selling VLF gold machine.

• Like 2

Dakota,  You use the coil that is best suited for the size of gold you wish to find and also for the terrain you are wanting to swing the detector.  Small 4.5" coil for tiny, small gold and really rough terrain. 5x8" for small two medium gold in semi rough terrain. Larger coil for medium and big gold in open terrain.

The Garrett AT Gold is a decent little prospecting detector that is also excellent for relic detecting, not to mention coin and jewelry detecting - and waterproof to ten feet. The coil it comes with is a bit smaller than normal to optimize its ability on smaller targets. For more ground coverage and extra depth on larger items a larger accessory coil is a good idea, but for the intended use the 5" x 8" DD coil is a great stock coil.

You asked for some cons. Really small display for old eyes, and I am not fond of the placement of the coil and headphone connectors. In one way they are protected by being recessed into the housing, but you need fingers like needle nose pliers to swap coils. And like a lot of detectors of similar design, the AT Gold is top heavy and likes to roll over, but now I am being picky! :rolleyes:

Great little detector though. Here is a shot of the AT Gold with the 5" sniper coil attached and a few nuggets I found with the detector...

garrett-at-gold-and-5-inch-sniper-coil.jpgherschbach-gold-nuggets-found-at-gold-garrett.jpggarrett-at-gold-old-new.jpg

• Like 2