X-Terra 70 & X-Terra 705?

Are these almost identical machines?

Just wondering, a friend of mine has one that might be for sale.  He indicates they are almost identical, but why?

The 70 was discontinued in 2007.  All thoughts and replies are welcome.

Almost identical. The 705 has an upgraded processor, which nobody would probably notice if they did not know about it. Minelab added a ground balance tracking offset, which allows you to bias the tracking slightly positive if desired. There is also a fourth saved pattern (a saved preset discrimination pattern) to the three already available, an LCD backlight and a sizing pinpoint mode. Fairly minor stuff but improvements nonetheless.

Download the Minelab X-Terra 705 Instruction Manual

Understanding Your X-Terra by Randy Horton

X-Terra 70 & 705 On Gold Nuggets

minelab-x-terra-305-505-705-comparison-chart-1.jpg

• Like 1

thanks so much

I guess the main function I'm concerned with is recovery speed.  Since I hunt high trash areas regularly, recovery is critical.  To slow and I will miss a lot of goodies.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a 70 in 2007 but didn't use it and sold in 2008 . It was only in 2011 when i bought the 705 that i found where its best suited . And thats on dry beaches , its a real killer on stone beaches or fluffy sand . I feel that it wasn't that slow but being slower than machines like the Deus and F75 made it better on beaches . The Deus and F75 are a bit jumpy on beaches . 

The Terra's are a bargain if searching dry beaches , they pay for themselves quickly . 

I didn't like their build quality much and sold each one well within their warranty then bought another . Each machine made a massive profit . £9454 and 14 Gold rings overall till mid last year when i sold my last 705 .

Will be interesting to see what the Equinox does .

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:54 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

The X-Terra lineup is not noted for a fast recovery speed. I would not call it slow, but it sure is not fast either. Coming from a F75 you would not be impressed in that regard.

I've found it nearly impossible to ever like a machine after I have the ones that are better.  Does that make sense?

I would not be happy with a slower than F75 machine.

Sometimes slower is faster ! I could run rings around the F75 and Deus on beaches . Land is very different unless in the dry ploughed field or maybe shallow pasture. I never felt the Terra was good in hard ground , but their air tests are good and thats why they worked on my beaches so well.

• The title was changed to X-Terra 70 & X-Terra 705?