Equinox Battery Mah?

Cabo Chris

I would guess that Minelab will come out with a battery pack -- and based on the specs (how many mAh) of that pack, we'd then at least have a guess of what Minelab would consider a "good option" as to mAh rating for a charging pack.  Then, we could kind of "go from there."  I'd love for them to provide some specific info, but I doubt they will.  It would definitely be helpful, for anyone looking to get an appropriate charging pack (minimizing size/weight, but still having "enough" power for a full recharge).

Steve

I read on one of the UK forums that one of the testers over there bought a 16,000 mAhr USB power bank for his NOX.

Getting ready, I bought a RAVPower RP-PB19 rated at 16,750 mAhr.  Standard 5 volt output.  It has 2 USB ports, one rated for 2.4A and the second at 2.1A.  Check Amazon.  Not that expensive.  I weighed this power bank and it's about 0.65# on the wife's analog kitchen scale.  Comes with 2 USB cables, one long and one shorter.  You would use the USB cable that comes with the NOX.

I think I want the smallest/lightest battery bank that would give me at least a days extra detecting-  say 6 to 8 hours.  The bank may have to be bigger than I expect?  Large banks would be great for multiple days/charges in the field.  I also wonder about the Solar banks... do they really charge up that great?  I look forward in these NOX determinations.  Obviously most will be able to charge via 110/220V.  Having emergency power in the field would be prepared!  One may never need it, but when one does it's needed.  On the other hand some may rely on aux power regularly?    

The charge rate surprises me.  Considering the RNB battery (3000 mah) for an Xcal charges in about an hour....... so that tells me we are working possibly with fewer batteries and higher mah ones.   Must be a pretty good drain rate to the coil.   Also, the slower charging hours would reduce HEAT while charging.   Big advantage on lith...... the charger checks EACH cell to ensure they are charged equally.  If for some reason your battery goes .... first thing id try is NOT using the charger and slow charge from another source.   Sometimes these smart chargers wont recognize a battery when it gets drained to low.

I have to ask the same question...How many rely on aux power regularly?

Personally, I have never had to go to aux power on a rechargeable system as I recharge before every session. Even while on multiple day camping/ detecting trips I charge that day's depleted battery back up to full in the truck at the end of the day. I have never run a fully charged battery out in a day of detecting on any machine and I hunt hard (all day long with a hour or so break for lunch). I do take an aux battery just in case of a faulty battery. Do you guys hunt more than 12 hours at a stretch or do you not recharge after every session? Not sure I understand the need for aux power other than total failure (break down) of the main battery. Thanks.

Dean

Just like the CTX or GPZ or my phone - I charge the Equinox every night. I have never detected long enough in a day yet to have it go dead. If you only detect a few hours a day you could go several days between a charge but I think it’s best for myself to be in the habit of putting it on the charger after every use, so as to never get caught short.

I may look at using a battery pack as a counterweight for the 15” x 12” coil, but then I will want a heavy charger brick because the main goal will be to counterweight the coil. The charging capability would be a bonus.

10 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Just like the CTX or GPZ or my phone - I charge the Equinox every night. I have never detected long enough in a day yet to have it go dead. If you only detect a few hours a day you could go several days between a charge but I think it’s best for myself to be in the habit of putting it on the charger after every use, so as to never get caught short.

I may look at using a battery pack as a counterweight for the 15” x 12” coil, but then I will want a heavy charger brick because the main goal will be to counterweight the coil. The charging capability would be a bonus.

My experience as well.

Dean

Once I actually receive my unit, I'll probably draw up and 3d print some attachments that will allow me to balance the battery pack weight to compliment the Equinox. I'll buy a couple of packs off Amazon and have them as stand-bys. Charging on the fly will be great since I'm 100% positive there will come a time that I forgot to charge and want to go detecting. 

The packs I 3d printed and made for my XLT cost about $15, weighed half as much as a NiMH pack, and gave me ~44 hours of detecting time.

• Like 3

I bought already for backup power for the equinox a 9000 mAh charger that is about 21/2" x 31/4"  x 7/8" and weighing 7 oz 

so I hope to attach a slip-in holder to the underside of the equinox arm rest so I'm not tethered to the detector when I'm charging on the run, and I'm hoping that placing it there will offset any nose heaviness in the overall balance. 

Well that's the plan, and I can also use the charger on the Bluetooth headphones if they run low during an outing. 

If anyone fabricates such a recharger pack holder that fits in those "under-the-arm-cuff" slots on the Equinox, I'd be interested in buying one...

Steve