Equinox Battery Mah?

Cabo Chris

After I got my recharge unit from amazon I found that it fit perfectly in an old garmin gps storage sleeve. I got the idea of mounting it under the equinox arm but to fasten it there I will probably drill small holes in the plastic underarm (stand) and use 4" black zip ties to fasten the holder there. Then when I need to use it for recharging I just have to slip the charger in connect the cable and I'm off and running. I suppose anyone can design and offer something creative, but usually I come up with something of my own to solve the problem. Minor modifications that enhance detecting are especially fun. 

Once I have my unit in hand, I'll research a common, inexpensive battery pack from Amazon and then I will get input from Any Equinox owner that feels they need the pack and send out a couple of prototypes. I'll modify the design as needed and maybe make a bunch. I'm not looking to start a business or open my own store but if I can do something that makes a trip or day in the field more productive, I'll gladly do it. I had more pictures of my White's pack but I've no idea where they have gone.

Pack1.jpg

DestinEngineer --

I'd certainly be interested...

Steve

• Like 1

I think the key to a cool remote battery design is to make it fit under the armrest, which had slots added for mounting items. The other thing would be to not worry to much about being light weight. A secondary goal would be to balance the coil - I will do some counterweight experiments and report on what weight would best balance the stock coil. An even heavier battery/weight could be used with the 12" x 15" coil.

Any standard USB type battery backup will work. Here is my short play around with a RAVpower battery pack. I used rubber bands to hang it off the back of the rod. Never detected with it, I just wanted to see how it felt. It felt good!

minelab-equinox-external-battery-under-armrest.jpg

minelab-equinox-armrest-armcup-detail.jpg

• Like 3

With the tubular design of the handle, being able to slide or adjust the pack front to rear should be easy. Integrate some legs for resting it on the ground, make it so the battery pack can be exchanged easily for those legendary marathon detecting trips where there may not be a power outlet handy. Shouldn't be difficult and I'm positive I can print up something that will meet all those standards. Something like this may be a good starting point for a pack.

https://www.amazon.com/Poweradd-Slim-Ultra-compact-Portable-External/dp/B00MWU1GGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515092225&sr=8-1&keywords=round+battery+pack

• Like 1

DestinEngineer -- 

I sure wish we knew what an "appropriate" capacity (mAh) should be...it's one of those things where you'd want the pack to have all the capacity needed, AND YET, not be too big/heavy and take away from the advantage the machine provides of being "lightweight."

Steve implies that a little weight under the cuff there might actually help a bit with "balance," especially with the larger coil, so there's that...

Whatever the case, this is a great idea.

By the way, I have to assume you are a "beach hunter," in the Destin area?  I just had my first beach detecting experience -- and it was in Destin, this past October.  Seemed like LOTS of sand on the beach (we got there the day after Hurricane Nate made landfall).  It was fun, though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steveg said:

DestinEngineer -- 

I sure wish we knew what an "appropriate" capacity (mAh) should be...it's one of those things where you'd want the pack to have all the capacity needed, AND YET, not be too big/heavy and take away from the advantage the machine provides of being "lightweight."

Steve implies that a little weight under the cuff there might actually help a bit with "balance," especially with the larger coil, so there's that...

Whatever the case, this is a great idea.

By the way, I have to assume you are a "beach hunter," in the Destin area?  I just had my first beach detecting experience -- and it was in Destin, this past October.  Seemed like LOTS of sand on the beach (we got there the day after Hurricane Nate made landfall).  It was fun, though!

I take the kids out  and we do some detecting in the dry sand. They find it fascinating. We've not really found very much and stay out of the wet because my XLT can't handle it. When I was stationed in England and South Carolina, I found tons of stuff from Roman coins to musket balls and Civil War relics. I appreciate the history of it all. The Equinox will let me get in the surf and be a nice, worthy upgrade to my trusty White's. The kids got a couple of Teknetics Digiteks and they are itching to use them.

I'll wait and see what kind of battery and capacity vs weight would be suitable as an addon to the Equinox. I would want it to be readily available and inexpensive so everyone could afford a pack. I would probably never ask for more than my cost for the printed parts. I would rather get people out detecting than turn a meager profit.

As far as the beach goes, it's absolutely stunning here and white as sugar, but it swallows anything you drop and it SINKS deep. I just bought a SeaHunt Gamefish 30 and it's going to be insanely difficult this spring and summer to figure out if I want to fish or detect! Hit me up if you are back this way and maybe we can do a little of both.

DestinEngineer --

I will let you know, for sure.  We may be coming back again this fall.  I think the Equinox will be a welcome addition for you, given that it can do so many things, including hunt the wet salt!  And it's great that you are getting your kids involved!  The kids on the beach, when I was there this fall, were fascinated, and so I can imagine your kids being really excited!

As for the packs -- it's very kind of you, but I'd be more than glad to include a little bit in there for your time and effort.  It would be a great "accessory."

Steve

19 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I think the key to a cool remote battery design is to make it fit under the armrest, which had slots added for mounting items. The other thing would be to not worry to much about being light weight. A secondary goal would be to balance the coil - I will do some counterweight experiments and report on what weight would best balance the stock coil. An even heavier battery/weight could be used with the 12" x 15" coil.

Any standard USB type battery backup will work. Here is my short play around with a RAVpower battery pack. I used rubber bands to hang it off the back of the rod. Never detected with it, I just wanted to see how it felt. It felt good!

minelab-equinox-external-battery-under-armrest.jpg

minelab-equinox-armrest-armcup-detail.jpg

Steve, in your NOX photo is that the actual NOX magnet connect charging wire?  How solid is the magnetic connection?  Comes off easy or strong enough to use in the field?