What Was The First " Smart " Detector?

I'm wondering from those of you using detectors much longer than I have what would you say was the first 'smart' detector?

Part of this question will be a definition of smart.  I think of smart as being a detector that can do more than just 'respond' to a signal.  It would do some processing.  Certainly smart devices now have chips with algorithms. Would you define smart as a detector with a coin meter?  Just wondering.  Many definitions of smart devices now say it is a connected device.

I'm not very 'smart' so that is why I am asking the question.

Mitchel

• Like 1

I`d think like Fred those early discriminators. But I guess the 1st smart MD was one with a CPU, if we are to use todays "smart" label.

Of interest perhaps the below came up in a Google search

MD.JPG.8ef0a53f1a32029a9fdf424ea4b9aacf.JPG

• Like 3

I'd say the White's Eagle was the 1st smart detector that wow'ed me.

Now I mean smart as in digital ID with VDI readout.  I think it was mid 1980's and around $600.

I did have some meter ID machines in the 70's, but the Eagle was the 1st one that was smarter than me, hence my definition of "SMART"

• Like 5

Gerry

I didn’t think the Eagle was out too long when White’s came out with Eagle 2. I bought my Eagle 2 in 91 and it still works. At that time if you had a Eagle you could send it into White’s for a fee they would install a chip making it a Eagle 2. I think this was the first time and last that White’s done something like that.

The Eagle and Eagle 2 was a true digital smart detector. Like then and now a detector it is not for everyone unless you’re willing to spend the time to learn it’s capability.

I can’t remember the year but it was in the 70’s that White’s came out with the dial the more you turned it to the right the more trash you cut out. The bad part there went gold rings and nickels if turn to far.

I was a dealer back then for White’s. I didn’t stay one because it took my time I wanted to be detecting . Back in the 60’s everything was coming up silver.

Chuck

• Like 6

Yeah, I am going with White's 1987 Eagle, replaced almost immediately by the Eagle II in 1988. There are other candidates no doubt but this was the first detector I remember that screamed digital processing. It introduced many detecting features we now consider standard. The Eagle went through several versions finally leading to the White's Spectrum XLT, a real classic in my mind.

Minelab fans will no doubt be amused by the "30% More Depth" statement since they no doubt thought Minelab had a trademark on that!

whites-eagle-2-1988-catalog-metal-detector.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Seeing the picture bring back memories long past.

my father in law had a XLT and. I found it so easy to program it for him and at the same time I was still swinging my Eagle 2. The neat thing about the Eagle you didn’t have to go into the system to make a change. It was all up front.

Chuck

• Like 1

I do believe White’s was the leader in detectors back when. I just wonder why that don’t hold true today.

Some May disagree with me on the above statement I made but the truth hurts.

I am a great lover of White’s detectors and will always have a soft spot in my heart for them.

Chuck

• Like 5