Equinox Internal Photos

FlyFish

17 hours ago, DestinEngineer said:

This looks to be a very early prototype board. The charging/data port on this unit does appear to only have 2 wires attached which would just be for charging for this unit. I also see a long jumper wire and at least one hand soldiered component which I would hope wouldn't make it to final production status. There were probably board revisions to rectify those things.

Those foil cables seem to be double sided, so no worries there :happy:

On 3.1.2018 at 1:23 AM, relicmeister said:

I'm more disturbed than interested by these equinox guts photos. 

Wont be long after the first units get delivered before the Chinese knockoffs are   Also available, right?

... It'll be easier to simply buy a machine and reverse-engineer it ...

13 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

No super secret leaks here people, just the FCC filing regarding the Equinox. You can see all sorts of neat stuff at the full website:

https://fccid.io/Z4C-0022

The board used in the photos did not even need to be functional. It has to show antenna and communication chip locations.

Kewl, thanks!

I wonder if this thing is serviceable at all :unsure: - looks like the front bezel is glued on, or is it just clipped together?

On 4.1.2018 at 12:03 AM, DestinEngineer said:

Absolutely is!

70266952.jpg

If the SD card holds the firmware and the Equinox 600/800 Hardware is the same.. upgrade made easy! :ph34r:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sinclair said:

If the SD card holds the firmware and the Equinox 600/800 Hardware is the same.. upgrade made easy! :ph34r:

I'm almost positive they would hash something to prevent the cards just from being swapped. That's not to say it couldn't be done. Plus, once that case is cracked, the waterproof rating is shot. I can definitely see down the road a bit and someone getting a broken 800 and doing a card swap regardless of the waterproofing because they couldn't care less about it. They may just be doing it for inexpensive internal memory purposes and servicing might not even be an option at the factory.

3 hours ago, DestinEngineer said:

They may just be doing it for inexpensive internal memory purposes and servicing might not even be an option at the factory.

Well, there was some subtle irony in my comment :happy:

But if the machine isn't serviceable - who would stick a SD card in a slot which hasn't got any locking mechanism in a device which is used outdoors? Just imagine you drop the machine an that damn card pops out.. :ohmy:

I really hope the slot is meant for development puposes only.. like quick firmware changes while doing field-tests..

On 1/3/2018 at 7:44 AM, FlyFish said:

STM32F103VBH6 STMicroelectronics ARM Microcontrollers - MCU 32BIT Cortex M3 128K 20KB RAM 

Untitled-1.jpg

I'm actually a bit surprised that the EQX is running a low end off the shelf general purpose 32BIT Cortex M3 CPU.

ARM® Cortex® -M3 32-bit RISC core operating at a 72 MHz frequency, high-speed embedded memories (Flash memory up to 128 Kbytes and SRAM up to 20 Kbytes), and an extensive range of enhanced I/Os and peripherals connected to two APB buses. All devices offer two 12-bit ADCs, three general purpose 16-bit timers plus one PWM timer, as well as standard and advanced communication interfaces: up to two I2Cs and SPIs, three USARTs, an USB and a CAN.

These features make the STM32F103xx medium-density performance line microcontroller family suitable for a wide range of applications such as motor drives, application control, medical and handheld equipment, PC and gaming peripherals, GPS platforms, industrial applications, PLCs, inverters, printers, scanners, alarm systems, video intercoms, and HVACs.

I guess if the EQX sucks, we can always load Android on it smiling smiley

• Haha 1

On 1/5/2018 at 3:49 AM, Sinclair said:

I know that was tongue-in-cheek but some physical faceplate changes would also be needed to provide full functionality due to the differences between the two (Gold mode soft switch and User Profile membrane switch are missing on the 600).  These differences, though minor, are somewhat disappointing because I would have hoped there would indeed be a (paid) software-only-based upgrade patch from the 600 to the 800 and this seem to preclude that possibility.