Just Counted All My Clad Coins

Its really amazing just how much clad adds up when you do not count it for a long time back when I was living in Ohio I had a 1 1/2 gallon plastic jug I would throw all my clad coins in after I would detect,when I moved to Arizona I had forgot about it well I opened a box that I had packed and brought back to AZ with me and low and behold I find the plastic jug with all my clad coins from Ohio keep in mind the only place I ever detected while in Ohio was my own yard and under my house in the crawl space, well I counted all the clad that was in that jug excluding all the pennies so just quarters,dimes and nickels were all I counted there was $293.00 in just clad coins not counting the pennies there is probably another $50 in pennies give or take it was like a savings account that doesn't collect interest there was at least 2 1/2 years of clad in that jug a lot of the pennies I am going to throw away because they are literally disintegrating but it just amazed me just how much it adds up  

• Like 7

I put all of my detecting clad, and pocket change into a glass container, and every Memorial Day weekend I cash it in donate it at the Tonopah Station :rolleyes:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It always amazes me when I stop and look at how much stuff I dig. Tens of thousands of items per year. As just accidental by-product clad pays for a lot of my detectors.

i had never really thought about it until I counted this,would be a good way to save up for the Equinox or a PI detector think I will just start another plastic jug and forget about it,but by the time I save enough for a PI machine that way I would probably be in a pine box and six feet under

• Haha 1

I've only been detecting since 2014 but I've got a 5 gallon bucket that is overflowing with clad coins that I plan to cash in at some point. I've been wondering how much is in there lol 

strick 

• Like 5

I let the common coins pile up for years. Last time I cashed out was spring 2013 so it might be time for spring cleaning again. Here is the 2013 result - 38 pounds of coins. Screen and wash with a sieve to get out the large chunks of dirt and small trash that sneaks into the pile. After that I put them in a five gallon bucket with water and soap and stir/agitate vigorously, adding clean water until it stays clean. Then dump, dry, and pick out obvious corroded coins that won't pass a Coinstar machine. Just most of them - Coinstar will sort the rest. Then take to a Coinstar machine, and cash in for an Amazon card (for example) as the fee is waived if you get a gift card instead of cash. And you get a neat printout showing you not only the value but how it all broke down. Over 4000 recovered coins.

herschbach-38-pounds-coins-found-metal-detecting.jpgherschbach-coins-cashed-in.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

the 1 1/2 gallon jug I had was only about 3/4s full so I couldn't imagine what would be in a 5 gallon bucket full