Sweep Speed Target Depth

I don't normally ask questions but one has me very curious.

Concerning the Equinox:

Does the machine loose depth if sweep speed is reduced or is there a sweet spot speed?

Most all VLF machines I've had looses quite a bit of depth as sweep speed is slowed.

Steve has been pretty firm in his thoughts about "Depth".  I don't feel its an issue.  Sweep speed has been somewhat covered and the bottom line has been consistently that the EQ is a very fast machine when it comes to target separation.  As to a sweet spot in the video's that have been released its not hard to figure out where it is.  As with a DD construction its pretty consistent that its in the middle of the coil somewhat forward of the shaft and I'll bet there is a second one aft like any DD.  Having watched the video's and the way they are sweeping then I feel your thoughts on slowing the sweep, using the sweet spot should lead to deeper finds.  The separation of targets is the thing one needs as well as higher reliability of target information but a fast sweep will muttle those signals in target dense environments.  The Russian video is pretty good.  Check it out.   Also Steve has some things to say in his Mercury Dime Teaser thread *a few pages back in this forum*.

My thoughts.

You have to remember that Recovery Speed / Reactivity / Detect Speed trades speed for depth. In general, the higher the Detect Speed, the faster you can sweep but there is a depth loss at high Detect Speed settings. Conversely, a slow Detect Speed gives enhances deep targets and prefers a slower sweep speed. In areas with sparse targets where you want max depth, run a low Detect Speed and slow down. As trash gets denser, increase the Detect Speed to get better "see between" capability that reduces target masking effects. Higher detect speeds also tolerate faster sweep speeds.

Recovery Speed, Recovery Delay, And Reactivity

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

You have to remember that Recovery Speed / Reactivity / Detect Speed trades speed for depth. In general, the higher the Detect Speed, the faster you can sweep but there is a depth loss at high Detect Speed settings. Conversely, a slow Detect Speed gives enhances deep targets and prefers a slower sweep speed. In areas with sparse targets where you want max depth, run a low Detect Speed and slow down. As trash gets denser, increase the Detect Speed to get better "see between" capability that reduces target masking effects. Higher detect speeds also tolerate faster sweep speeds.

Recovery Speed, Recovery Delay, And Reactivity

Sounds like the machine will basically run very similar to my Deus when it comes to speed/depth etc.

Good to know, thanks

Most of the MLs will amaze you how slow they can be sweep..... lot may have to do with fast or deep setting available.   The MLs must have great filtering...... but they lacked the recovery speed.  Its also going to depend on the area/minerals and ground phase.   Machines will very here in different states depends on where you are as to depth.   I think Clive said...... even when a machine runs smooth it may not be getting depth.   should get good depth here in Fl..... looking to see how it handles coil flip in the water.