600 Vs. 800 Differences - More Than Just A Gold Prospecting Mode

I am glad that Minelab included a lower price point Equinox that helps deliver MOST of the goods for those detectorists on a limited budget.  But for those just shopping for a bargain, I cannot help but think that it may leave many a detectorist wanting for more once they realize that you may be leaving behind more than just a Gold Prospecting mode if you choose to invest in the economy machine and there is really no upgrade path even with the capability of software updates, other than ultimately purchasing the 800.   Be careful about just focusing in on the high frequency capability difference, and dismissing the difference as an unneeded capability just because you may not be a gold nugget prospector. There is more to the differences between the two than meets the eye. Part of the confusion lies in the fact that there is not hard and fast comparison between the two that I can find online, at least in relation to the capability (not just feature) differences between the two detectors. Also, even if you are not a gold prospector, high frequency capability is not something that should be of interest to the gold prospector, it enables capabilities that are also of interest to the relic hunter and even the coin shooter (more on that below).

The following comparative information is what I can ascertain from reviewing the Minelab 600/800 quick start guide and other online sources.  Please respond with corrections or to point out omissions or misinterpretations that I may have included in the discussion below.  I do not want to intentionally pass on misinformation.

Waterproof: Both will be waterproof and submersible to 3 meters.

Multi IQ: Both will incorporate the Multi IQ technology - the 800 will have the edge on the 600 because it will be able to simultaneously utilize the two higher frequencies of 20 and 40 khz as part of the Multi IQ scan signal whereas the 600 cannot, obviously, because it cannot transmit at those two higher frequencies. This is important not just for gold nugget prospectors but for those who are also relic hunters that detect small and mid-conductive targets like buttons and brass artifacts that will be more detectable when using the higher frequencies of the 800 in either discrete or Multi IQ mode. This is of less importance to coin shooters who focus primarily on high conductive silver coins (unless of course you are also into hammered coins or US nickels, both of which are considered mid-conductive targets). Furthermore, there is evidence based on recent experience with the new Deus HF coils, that doing general searching in the higher frequencies in areas with high iron concentrations and especially deep iron actually enhances the ability to unmask shallower mid AND high conductive targets such as buttons and silver coins. So, besides gold nugget prospecting, the HF frequencies also have a role in helping to unmask not-so-deep silver from iron, and that DOES matter to the coin shooter.

Reactivity/Recovery: It is not clear that there will be a difference in the ultimate high-end or low-end recovery speed of the 600 vs. 800 but from what I can tell, you will have less adjustability with the 600 with only 3 levels vs. 8 levels of adjustability with the 800. Coming from the Deus, having a finer control over reactivity/recovery which enables you to balance separation vs. depth is a distinct advantage. XP added another level of adjustability on reactivity/recovery in its latest software update to the Deus based on customer demand.

Preset Detect Modes and User Profiles: Obviously the "Gold" Detect Mode is absent from the 600, but as I said before, the high frequency capability does not just enhance gold mode detecting. There is an instant user profile settings save button on the faceplate of the 800, this button does not exist on the 600. Both detectors are capable of saving up to 2 different custom search mode profiles for each search mode setting (Park, Field, Beach, Gold (800 only)).

Non-Ferrous and Threshold Tone Selection: Only the 800 will provide the capability to customize Threshold Tone settings and Non-Ferrous Tone Volume, Pitch, and Tone breaks vs. the 600 which will only have a single default setting for these parameters. This is important to me because I have partial hearing loss and ability to adjust tone pitch and volume is critical. Adjustable tone breaks also enable me to better set up tones consistent with enabling my desired targets of interest to punch through the noise better.

Wireless Audio: Both detectors support wireless audio including the connection of up to FOUR wireless modules (which means that you can have 4 sets of ears listening to a single detector - not sure how this could be used outside of a learning environment, but it may open up some interesting possibilities. First one to actually dig the target wins...lol). The 800 will include a wireless headset and WM08 module. The 600 will come with a set of non-waterproof wired headphones.

Are the differences worth the $250 price differential? That is for each of us individually to decide (I know my answer) and of course for many, even if they wanted those capabilities, affordability is the key when resources are limited. I just wanted to point out that the differences between the two detectors is more than just a Gold Prospecting search mode. The way I think about those additional 800 capabilities is that it is like paying for an included additional accessory coil that is incompatible with the 600 (even if you were willing pay the extra $250 down the road after investing in the 600) because they consist of fundamental hardware and software differences and capabilities (extra faceplate buttons, additional transmit frequencies) between the two detectors that cannot be simply added on later with future software updates to the 600. So you are, in essence, kind of stuck with what you get and, for me, having that constraint is not worth the savings.

HTH and HH

welcome your comments, additions, and refutations.

"Chase"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Chase,

I'm pretty sure the 600 will be able to run 20 and 40 khz in multi - you just can't run them as individual frequencies like you can on the 800.  Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is what I've been understanding from a few threads posted on here.

Thanks - Mike.  

34 minutes ago, Mike Buck said:

Chase,

I'm pretty sure the 600 will be able to run 20 and 40 khz in multi - you just can't run them as individual frequencies like you can on the 800.  Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is what I've been understanding from a few threads posted on here.

Thanks - Mike.  

Thanks, Mike.

The Minelab site shows the 600 as having Multi IQ 3Fx3 whereas the 800 has Multi IQ 5Fx5.  Don't take my word for it, it is described in detail on the respective Minelab 600 and 800 product pages.  

"Chase"

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, vfp7 said:

IMHO
Apparently the hardware component of 600 and 800 should be the same ...

I agree. I wish that Minelab had made the 600 extensible in that the underlying hardware infrastructure and user interface was exactly the same as the 800, so you could start with the economy 600 and then unlock the 800 features with a paid upgrade down the road.  But with the faceplate "hard" keys, etc., it appears that upgrade avenue is, unfortunately, closed off,  for now.

Chase,

You have me wondering now, but the Multi IQ diagram taken from Minelab's site seems to imply my statement earlier that the 20 and 40 just aren't available as single frequency options on the 600, but will run in the multi frequency for it.  

Steve - Can you clarify for us?  I would like to get purchase the 600, but if it won't run the 20 and 40 in multi, that may change my mind.  Thanks!!!

image.png

• Like 1

I have a paid, pre ordered EQX 800 I'm waiting for, but I did consider getting a 600 before I paced my order. I decided I wanted the 20 KHz frequency and the full run of settings options. It wasn't worth it to me to save a couple hundred bucks and possibly regret the  selection down the road. 

• Like 1

Fabulous explanation of your thoughts on why the Equinox 800 is a better choice for you Chase, thanks! :smile:

There is this Equinox 600 Versus Equinox 800 and this Five Frequency Times Eight

From the second thread:

" However, both the Equinox 600 and Equinox 800 offer identical Multi-IQ modes covering the full frequency range. The Equinox 600 simply disallows direct access to the 20 khz and 40 kHz single frequency modes."

To clarify, the Multi-IQ modes on both the Equinox 600 and Equinox 800 are identical. In my opinion Multi-IQ is the true magic of Equinox, and the Equinox 600 is the bang for the buck in that it will perform every bit as well for most people as the Equinox 800.

The Equinox 800 offers a specialty mode by way of the Gold Mode that is optimised for finding very tiny items, think small gold nuggets or single post earrings. However, people are going to find that Multi-IQ offerings in other modes are quite capable of finding small items. Gold Mode is for people who need to push that small item finding capability to the limit.

I don't consider Gold Mode to be the big factor that differentiates the Equinox 600 from the Equinox 800. In my mind it is the advanced audio and discrimination functions as outlined in my first article above along with the extra control over the Detect Speed that make the Equinox 800 truly desirable for more advanced users. I can't imagine giving up the ability to fully customise all my tone breaks and tones as is offered in the Equinox 800.

I have to admit that when coming from detectors that costs many thousands of dollars I find the idea of "saving" $250 to not be even on my radar. I am many thousands of dollars ahead by selling the many machines my Equinox replaces. However, I do want people to understand that for raw horsepower, Equinox 600 will find virtually anything the Equinox 800 will find. There is no compromise on Multi-IQ going from one machine to the other. The advantage in Gold Mode is real, but it is like it is striving for that last 10% is all, not some magic blow you away oh my gosh I can't believe this sort of thing.

It is fairly obvious that because both machines offer so much capability for so little money that most people are going to just go for the Equinox 800 automatically. That being the case some savings on the purchase may be lost on resale because the Equinox 600 may not hold value as well as the Equinox 800.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Mike Buck said:

Chase,

You have me wondering now, but the Multi IQ diagram taken from Minelab's site seems to imply my statement earlier that the 20 and 40 just aren't available as single frequency options on the 600, but will run in the multi frequency for it.  

Steve - Can you clarify for us?  I would like to get purchase the 600, but if it won't run the 20 and 40 in multi, that may change my mind.  Thanks!!!

image.png

Mike,

I missed the note on that diagram.  I believe you have it correct and I am incorrect in assuming 20 and 40 are not available in multi IQ mode.  When Steve clears it up for us, then I will correct my post.  I was apparently confusing Minelab’s 3Fx3 and 5Fx5 lingo with Multi IQ but they apparently only apply to single frequency mode.  I blame the marketeers for ambiguously translating the engineering speak into marketing speak.  Lol.  My sincerest apologies and thanks for teaching me yet another thing I did no know about the equinox.

ps. Steve confirmed your understanding of how Multi IQ works for both the 600 and 800 while I was typing this reply. Thanks for hanging in there and setting me straight.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It is fairly obvious that because both machines offer so much capability for so little money that most people are going to just go for the Equinox 800 automatically. That being the case some savings on the purchase may be lost on resale because the Equinox 600 may not hold value as well as the Equinox 800.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the 600 is the bigger seller.  I suspect there are many more coin hunters than gold nugget and micro jewelry hunters.

As for prices of used machines, once the initial hysteria passes, a used 800 will eventually probably end up selling for no more than a brand new 600.  How many people will buy a used 800 for more than a new 600?  The extra features on the 800 are something the vast majority of users do not understand, appreciate, or need.  On the other hand, how low can the price of a used 600 go before it's a compelling deal as opposed to an AT Pro, AT Max, F75, etc.?

• Like 2