600 Vs. 800 Differences - More Than Just A Gold Prospecting Mode

I guess software since all 5 frequencies are transmitted when operating in Mult IQ, that must mean the 600 is capable of transmitting and receiving signals from the two upper frequencies but is just interlocked via the user interface and software from using 20 and 40 kHz in single frequency mode which is the Minelab marketing jargon you were referring to.

20 hours ago, FlyFish said:

3Fx3 and 5Fx5 - That this is a hardware or software feature

According to Minelab both the Equinox 600 and Equinox 800 employ the full frequency range. Your guess is as good as mine as to whether the differences are implemented in software or hardware. My guess is software.

From http://www.detectorprospector.com/metal-detecting/minelab-multi-iq-technology-details-explained.htm (emphasis added)

“* 20 kHz and 40 kHz are not available as single operating frequencies in EQUINOX 600. The Multi-IQ frequency range shown applies to both EQUINOX 600 and 800. This diagram is representative only. Actual sensitivity levels will depend upon target types and sizes, ground conditions and detector settings.“

minelab-equinox-multi-iq-metal-detector-technology-frequency-response-chart.jpg

The other Equinox 600 Versus Equinox 800 thread

Steve always has the better production values with the Minelab images at the ready.  Meanwhile, I'm typing responses on a manual typewriter the size of a phone keyboard, running the image off a mimeograph machine and snail mailing it to a friend who can fax that to someone who has a handheld scanner and can upload it to the site via their Windows for Workgroups 3.11 Pentium Desktop with a 14K modem.

• Haha 1

Hi Guys,

I´m new here, but I was also tried to investigate if performance for E600 and E800 is the same (as you wrote above) in Multi-IQ. I´ve contacted Minelab EU and US. From EU I got info that performance in Multi IQ is the same but from US I got this:

The 600 can run single frequencies of 5, 10. 15khz.  Multi IQ will run up to 3 frequencies, not necessarily the 5, 10. 15khz.  When in Multi IQ the detector chooses the frequencies based on mode and ground.

The 800 can run single frequencies of 5, 10, 15, 20, 40khz.  Multi IQ will run up to 5 frequencies, not necessarily the 5, 10, 15, 20, 40khz.  In the Gold Mode, you can only run single frequency.  No multi IQ available in Gold Mode.

I´ve ask also for freq. range for each detector, but no answer so far. Anyway maybe info in red text can help someone (PS: regarding last sentence I think this was changed and Gold mode has now Multi freq. also.).

If you have some more detailed info on this topic, please let me know.

Dwarf

1 hour ago, Dwarf said:

The 600 can run single frequencies of 5, 10. 15khz.  Multi IQ will run up to 3 frequencies, not necessarily the 5, 10. 15khz.  When in Multi IQ the detector chooses the frequencies based on mode and ground.

The 800 can run single frequencies of 5, 10, 15, 20, 40khz.  Multi IQ will run up to 5 frequencies, not necessarily the 5, 10, 15, 20, 40khz.  In the Gold Mode, you can only run single frequency.  No multi IQ available in Gold Mode.

For Equinox Wrong the notion of frequency.  

The device processes the harmonics of frequencies 5, 10, 15, 20, 40khz.   

Components of a complex multi-frequency pulse signal. (Frequency spectrum)

US08159225_4618268_29162189.jpg

MultiIQTra_5678182_29162099.jpg

7 hours ago, Dwarf said:

Hi Guys,

I´m new here, but I was also tried to investigate if performance for E600 and E800 is the same (as you wrote above) in Multi-IQ. I´ve contacted Minelab EU and US. From EU I got info that performance in Multi IQ is the same but from US I got this:

I´ve ask also for freq. range for each detector, but no answer so far. Anyway maybe info in red text can help someone (PS: regarding last sentence I think this was changed and Gold mode has now Multi freq. also.).

If you have some more detailed info on this topic, please let me know.

Dwarf

The MultiIQ information posted by Steve above is direct and the latest information from the Minelab (US) site - suggest you click on the link in his post which is a compendium of the various Minelab (US) blog posts that attempt to explain MultiIQ.  There are links also to the blog posts on the Minelab site as well as the quick start guide which has also been recently updated .  The information you received in red allegedly from Minelab US was provided by a source who is not well informed because it contains both incorrect and outdated inforation.  First of all, MultiIQ utilizes all 5 base frequencies (5,10, 15, 20, 40 khz)  in both the 600 and 800 (as stated in Steve's post which is info direct from Minelab).  Also, Minelab just recently updated both Gold Modes to use Multifrequency - MultiIQ as their default modes. 

As far as MultiIQ is concerned, how the five (5, 10, 15, 20, and 40 khz) base frequencies are manipulated in terms of  intensity/amplitude and time duration (time slices) is determined by which search mode you are in.  Of those modes, Park 1/2, Field 1/2, and Beach 1/2 appear to be the same between the two detectors.  As FlyFish was saying when you run those 5 frequencies simultaneously at varying amplitudes and time durations, you generate a number of harmonics due to the inter-frequency interferences that occur and the MultiIQ secret sauce involves how that complex stew of harmonics and base frequencies is analyzed for target generated field distortions for Target ID. 

The 600 has limitations in that there is no Gold mode, the number of individual frequency modes 3Fx3 for the 600 is 3 (5, 10, 15 khz) [15/5 = 3, hence 3FX3] vs. 5FX8 for the 800  is 5 (5, 10, 15, 20, 40 khz) [40/5 = 8, hence 5FX8], the number and range of adjustable recovery speed settings is narrower/fewer (3 vs. 8 steps), the number and range of iron bias settings is narrower/fewer (purpose not yet fully explained by Minelab, but 3 vs. 9 steps), and you cannot adjust the threshold tone, non-ferrous tone breaks, non-ferrous tone pitch, non-ferrous tone volume on the 600 like you can on the 800.  The 600 also lacks manual noise reduction mode (only auto) and the 600 is lacking the instant personal profile save button on the faceplate which saves the current machine settings for instant recall.

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my opinion the Equinox 600 once it hits the streets will be one of the best values available in a general purpose metal detector. The Equinox 800 has various options I desire, but the fact is there is very little an Equinox 800 will detect that an Equinox 600 would miss. Most people are going to go straight to the Equinox 800 but it is the Equinox 600 that is the real sleeper unit in my opinion. Just one year ago if I told people they would be able to buy a detector soon that is waterproof to 10 feet, that runs in both multifrequency or single frequency options, that weighs less than 3 pounds and which has built in wireless headphone capability, all for $649 people would have said I was completely nuts.

The other Equinox 600 Versus Equinox 800 thread

minelab-equinox-600-800-compared.jpg

minelab-equinox-600-800-specifications.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dwarf said:

Thank you guys for fast responce and info. In this case E600 is really great deal!!

It is a great deal.  For me the price difference is close enough to sway me to "have it all" with the 800 especially considering the cost of the wireless hardware that is included with the 800.