Xchange 2 Compatibility With Latest GPZ Update

July 2017, is the latest update for the GPZ.  However, this update made the Xchange 2 software program no longer compatible with the 7000.  I find this to be very frustrating as I can no longer save my find or way points, as my detector’s GPS memory is full, nor do I have a way of downloading this data.  At this point, the only solution I know of is to delete, which is counter productive to having an on board data log.  According to Minelab https://www.minelab.com/usa/customer-care/product-notices?article=313853 the new compatible version of Xchange 2 is supposed to be available within the next few months.  This statement is from July 2017, I believe its been more than a few months.  Minelab, the innovative company they are, should of have had this compatible before the release in July.  Please get this fixed Minelab!

Has anyone heard of when it will be compatible or know of a work around?

From the Minelab link above:

Important Notes:
1) …

2) This update is currently NOT COMPATIBLE with XChange 2 and therefore will make XChange 2 inoperable with the GPZ 7000 detector. A new compatible version of XChange 2 will be available within the next few months, at which time full compatibility will be restored. Any data you have stored on XChange 2 will not be lost when you carry out the GPZ update and when this new version of XChange 2 becomes available.

3) …

Brian

• Like 3

I agree. But it is what it is.  I believe the only way around is to go back to the old version and then it will work. 

It may be cumbersome but maybe...

1) download the old software. 

2) import all of your finds onto exchange 2 which should save them???

3) download the newest software again and away you go?  

Smarter minds will advise if this is doable :wink:

Anything saved when running the newer firmware can't be accessed when downgrading to the older firmware. The only way right now to have a functional GPZ interface with XChange is stay with the older firmware.

I am frustrated also and will be posting soon on how to hack the GPZ to dump data into some other system and cut XChange out of the loop. I will also show how to get existing data out of XChange into something else. This is obviously not a priority for Minelab and although I have been a proponent of and avid user of XChange up to now I do believe it might be time for me to move on. I am not satisfied with the current deadlock and need to have a different game plan for the upcoming season. Even if Minelab updates XChange to work with the latest version of the firmware, if it is not upgraded to also include an export/import function then I am still considering abandoning XChange. That is just a basic functionality I assumed would be added in time, but if simply getting XChange to work with the latest version of GPZ firmware is taking this long, then hoping for an import/export function may be nothing more than wishful thinking on my part. A shame really, as I thought the system had great potential and could have become the "glue" for an ecosystem of Minelab product that could all use and benefit from XChange.

Anyway, back to  the hack. I have already done it personally and computer savvy people can gain enough clues to figure it out themselves. Hacks already exist for the CTX 3030 that can be applied to the GPZ 7000. Anyone interested can find details at Access and Export XChange Data and Direct GPS Track Data Extraction. Like I said, I have done this already for the GPZ but need to boil the process down to be as simple and foolproof as possible before publishing the methodology.

What I would be shooting for is the ability to go ahead and use the GPZ built in GPS system, but then dump the data directly from the GPZ to either Google earth kml files of Garmin compatible format. Either can easily be converted to the other so I just need to decide what works best from a generic standpoint.

• Like 4

I don't have a metal detector that uses XChange but I did look through the "program". It appears to be simple stupid XML with a custom header. It shouldn't be too hard to convert the data to something useful like GPX or KML with a little work in a text program.

If Steve can figure out how to get the data out of the machine I'd be happy to help create a converter app to make that data useful.

• Like 2

I have imported both into Google Earth and Garmin Basecamp. As long as the data gets exported to a standard format, people should be able to pick and choose what application they want to import into by simply using the import function on those applications.

You could probably write a safer, easier app that what I have come up with, which is more a manual process, so stay tuned. I have already exported from the old GPZ firmware directly, but obviously the format has changed somehow (probably to save the new patch mode settings) and so I need to check and compensate for that.

• Like 3

Brian; thank you for starting this.

Steve; I look forward to trying your procedures.

Clay; thank you for the offer to help in this effort. 

Have a great day,
Chet