Equinox At 5 Khz For Hoard And Relic Hunting

Randy Dee

The Equinox fitted with the 15 x 12 inch elliptical Double-D coil will provide maximum depth using the 5kHz Frequency.   This frequency is ideal for hoard hunting in the UK and for relic hunting in USA.

21 minutes ago, Randy Dee said:

The Equinox fitted with the 15 x 12 inch elliptical Double-D coil will provide maximum depth using the 5kHz Frequency.   This frequency is ideal for hoard hunting in the UK and for relic hunting in USA.

How do you know this to be true? Have you used the Equinox and large coil and compared 5 khz to Multi-IQ? I am not disputing 5 khz and a big coil are not a good idea, but I am not sure how you could know that 5 khz alone will outperform Multi-IQ.

5 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

How do you know this to be true? Have you used the Equinox and large coil and compared 5 khz to Multi-IQ?

OK Steve I haven't detected with the Equinox but have many years of detecting knowledge under my belt using a multitude of makes and models of detectors and it is a well known fact that the larger the coil and the lower the frequency the greater the achievable detection depth.  This theory may not work in the highly mineralised soils in the states but it certainly works well on the UK soils.

And I maybe should have chosen a different word;   The Equinox fitted with the 15 x 12 inch elliptical Double-D coil "Should" provide maximum depth using the 5kHz Frequency.

• Like 1

Opps, sorry Randy, hope it does not feel like I am picking on you! You are going by the past, and that has been true in the past, I agree. The old idea is that single frequencies always have more punch than multifrequency. The problem is - that's not really the case with Multi-IQ. Not only are you unlikely to see more depth in 5 kHz only, but your target id accuracy will drop off because you are no longer doing target comparisons at multiple frequencies.

That said, I also have not compared the Equinox at 5 khz running the large coil against the same configuration while running Multi-IQ on your ground, so I admit that in the end I do not know either and you may very well prove to be right. :smile: The point I am making is the old rules no longer apply with Multi-IQ, so be careful about applying past assumptions. My best advice to anyone getting an Equinox is to try and start with a fresh mind. It really is new and different and past assumptions no longer hold. We all have to start over, and honestly that's part of the fun.

Until recently I would have said a multifrequency machine can't possibly compete with a single frequency gold prospecting machine. I am not able to prove that true any longer with Equinox.

• Like 7

Steve

If you use one more superlative to describe the Equinox I'm heading out to Reno ASAP and steal your machine.:rolleyes:

:ph34r::ph34r:

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, D&P-OR said:

Steve-----In regards your last paragraph.-----Are you finding gold (nuggies) with the Equinox 800?-----How does it compare with the GM1000?

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/5002-600-vs-800-differences-more-than-just-a-gold-prospecting-mode/?do=findComment&comment=52305

I am pushing as hard as I can guys or is it more like pulling hard on the leash? It is walking a tightrope and the other testers are wisely keeping their mouths shut for fear of saying the wrong thing. I may end up looking like a loose cannon, and there might be repercussions regarding that, but with Equinox I am throwing caution at least a little to the wind because you all want to know things and I am dying to tell you. Let’s not derail this thread and leave it for low frequency discussion but I promise I am trying hard to get to the point where I can say more regarding Equinox and Gold Mode.

There is a dealer meeting coming up in like 10 days where Minelab will spill the beans to the dealer network. Everyone knows dealers leak like a sieve, so Minelab has to know that the ability to keep this stuff under wraps is fading fast. I expect in a couple weeks the lid will be totally off.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

OK, you are going by the past, and that has been true in the past, I agree. You are going with the old idea that single frequencies always have more punch than multifrequency. The problem is - that's not really the case with Multi-IQ. Not only are you unlikely to see more depth in 5 kHz only, but your target id accuracy will drop off because you are no longer doing target comparisons at multiple frequencies.

That said, I also have not compared the Equinox at 5 khz running the large coil against the same configuration while running Multi-IQ on your ground, so I admit that in the end I do not know either and you may very well prove to be right. :smile: The point i am making is the old rules no longer apply with Multi-IQ, so be careful about applying past assumptions. My best advice to anyone getting an Equinox is to try and start with a fresh mind. It really is new and different and past assumptions no longer hold. We all have to start over, and honestly that's part of the fun.

Precisely!  Randy is most likely correct in his assertion because that would be the conventional wisdom that comes from years of MD community experience with single frequency detectors.  But as Steve says, we do not know what surprises await with Multi IQ, especially after it gets into the hands of thousands of detectorists that could flip conventional wisdom on its head.  My apologies for yet again using Deus examples on a ML forum (and Hf in an LF thread), but as I have discussed in other threads, widespread use of the Deus HF coils were starting to tell us things we did not think applied using conventional MD wisdom.  Namely, that you could be bypassing high conductive targets because they were not being picked up at 14khz but were being picked up at 28khz and above.  Totally against conventional wisdom.  While we still don’t fully understand why (there are theories based on sound science) we nevertheless recognized it was consistently happening and changed up our approach.  Problem is, just going to 28 kHz or above was not necessarily the right answer because then you could be sacrificing deep silver, so you would have to make a decision to grid with different frequencies or painstakingly interrogate each target with multiple frequencies to unmask goodies.  I anticipate that Multi IQ combined with the greatly increased recovery speed will eliminate the need for such machinations for the most part and that is what has got me excited about the Equinox 800.  But as Steve said, unconventional thinking may apply.

• Like 6

I have not found 5kHz to be my go to frequency selection on my Impact, matter of fact it's super susceptible to EMI, and my least used frequency.  For my challenging relic hunting sites I've found 20kHz to be where it's at, but multi-freq will be a game changer IMO. 

• Like 1

It is true that the lower the frequency, the more EMI a person tends to encounter. I have spent a lot of time with the Impact, Deus, DFX, V3i, and now Equinox playing around with frequency stuff, and every one of them tends to run into more EMI at lower frequencies, like Deus 4 kHz for instance. It just depends on the machine also. The F75 at 13 kHz was an EMI monster, but that is mostly because of the highly sensitive high gain circuit. The 19 kHz machines on the other hand tend to be almost totally immune to EMI in most places. The bottom line is choosing a specific single frequency can be a great aid in certain situations where the small degree of adjustment available on most single frequency detectors is just not enough.