Equinox In Wet Salt Sand. By Neil Jones.

3 hours ago, Cabo Chris said:

Our Caribbean travel group have 8 units on order!  We're hoping the NOX is good enough to replace our Excaliburs.  Especially since it seems to behave so well in wet salt sand in the video.  I would like to see it performing waist deep in saltwater.  But things are sure looking good.  I have already designed a customized NOX travel bag for myself to carry 2 detectors and 2 sets of waterproof headphones- Oh speaking of which again, ML told me to order water phones now!  Last time I inquired no dealer had a clue about the waterproof headphone availability and why I called ML.  Mine are on order So I can test NOX underwater as soon as possible.  

I did everything possible to obtain an Equinox this month for our Jan 16th trip.  7 days in the sea for many hours daily would be a great test, and I expect the NOX to shine!  If not this trip will test next months trip, or when released.  

As nice as the Equinox looks and hopefully will be for all our needs, it would be even better were it a folding design.  Imagine just folding an Equinox up and sticking it in your backpack!!!  The worst thing possibly about the Equinox will be... everyone will have or want one and there will be less treasure to find!!!!   Kidding obviously!           

Chris, I have a folding mechanism ready to install on my Equinox. I did it first on my f75 and it's awesome. It's a $40 part and takes an hour to install. Only adds 5 oz. to detector weight. 

23 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I don’t but then I don’t post videos. Welcome to the forum Tom!

Thanks for the welcome, Steve!  I'm a long-time lurker and admirer of your reviews and analysis.  Regarding the wind and microphones, I'm no pro about this myself, but I continue to be amazed how much sound on videos is overwhelmed by wind noise.  I'd think people would at least try to shield the mike with their body to reduce the problem.  Have the wind at your back!

Also try a little masking tape or, yes, a sock.

6 часов назад, relicmeister сказал:

Крис, у меня есть складной механизм, готовый к установке на моем Equinox. Я сделал это сначала на своем f75, и это потрясающе. Это часть за 40 долларов и требуется час для установки. Добавляет только 5 унций. к весу детектора. 

You could not show a folding mechanism photo?

7 hours ago, relicmeister said:

Chris, I have a folding mechanism ready to install on my Equinox. I did it first on my f75 and it's awesome. It's a $40 part and takes an hour to install. Only adds 5 oz. to detector weight. 

Hello

Is your folding mechanism something which can be bought ready made or is it something you have developed yourself.

A bit more information and photographs would be greatly appreciated.

39 minutes ago, midalake said:

OK That video!  Well let me tell ya! That coin would have blown my ears off on my GT. I need stability in salt and MOVING SALT WATER!

Dave

And an Excal II and a CTX should bang on it as hard as well, I would expect no less from these specialized or top of the line Minelab Multi frequency detectors.  But is the demonstrated performance coming at the same cost and/or with the same overall flexibility, though?  That is the question folks should be asking themselves about the Equinox.  Did Minelab come up with the proper balance of features, performance, cost?  Balance means that the Equinox SHOULD be outperformed in some respects by other detectors in Minelab’s product line.  So if the Equinox is not the end all and be all needed for a specific set of conditions, not surprising that folks ma stick with their GTs, Excals, or CTX.  In my case, I am expecting improved mineralized dirt performance vs. any other vlf out there be it Multi frequency or not.  I still don’t expect it to outperform my GPX.  My GPX doesn’t like rain...so the Equinox might come out at that point.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

And an Excal II and a CTX should bang on it as hard as well, I would expect no less from these specialized or top of the line Minelab Multi frequency detectors.  But is the demonstrated performance coming at the same cost and/or with the same overall flexibility, though?  That is the question folks should be asking themselves about the Equinox.  Did Minelab come up with the proper balance of features, performance, cost?  Balance means that the Equinox SHOULD be outperformed in some respects by other detectors in Minelab’s product line.  So if the Equinox is not the end all and be all needed for a specific set of conditions, not surprising that folks ma stick with their GTs, Excals, or CTX.  In my case, I am expecting improved mineralized dirt performance vs. any other vlf out there be it Multi frequency or not.  I still don’t expect it to outperform my GPX.  My GPX doesn’t like rain...so the Equinox might come out at that point.

To to help one confused person and to clarify. If you know your detector as much as I do. The Excal and GT will both loose performance if you have moving water[salt water] past your coil [as in a wave coming up and back out the beach].  Yesterday there were several targets I came back to because I thought I heard something. When the water was out a CLEAR faint signal would repeat. So if the NOX is going to have any salt, it will need to be stable both with some black sand around and with moving salt water. On most days the beach I hunt I can be over waist deep and have 15' feet of wet sand to the water standing in the same spot. Anyone who does not understand your Excal and GT looses performance with a wave coming and going does not know their machine very well.  Dave

• Like 2

I think there is a place for Excalibur, E-TRAC, CTX, and Equinox to co-exist. Different detectors, different strengths and weaknesses. From http://www.detectorprospector.com/metal-detecting/minelab-multi-iq-technology-details-explained.htm

“How does Multi-IQ compare to BBS/FBS?

Multi-IQ uses a different group of fundamental frequencies than BBS/FBS to generate a wide-band multi-frequency transmission signal that is more sensitive to high frequency targets and slightly less sensitive to low frequency targets. Multi-IQ uses the latest high-speed processors and advanced digital filtering techniques for a much faster recovery speed than BBS/FBS technologies. Multi-IQ copes with saltwater and beach conditions almost as well as BBS/FBS, however BBS/FBS still have an advantage for finding high conductive silver coins in all conditions.” (Emphasis added)

• Like 1