Hopefully Minelab Gets It Right

Judy

2 hours ago, Nuke em said:

Thats what Minelab need to think about . People might start shifting to other makes . I can wait but many who need to buy a new machine might not . The Equinox is supposed to be coming to take on the Garrett AT types . 

Are you thinking along the Garrett line ? If so that could be a sale lost to Minelab ?

I honestly do not think Minelab is going to lose sleep over defections because (1) most folks, Judy excepted, have a usable detector that can hold them over until ML actually issues the most buzzworthy detector in years, a detector thst specs wise easily blows away the AT Max and (2) Professional gold prospecting and munitions detection probably make up the vast majority of their sales, so a few hobbiest defectors to Garrett will not move the needle at all.  Minelab knows what they have.  That being said, they will likely do their best to meet officially advertised delivery dates but not at the expense of delivering a NRFPT product.  There really is no motivation for them to string potential buyers along.

• Like 3

The only detector companies losing sleep are the ones not named Minelab. According to all forum sites there are currently way more people who have pre-ordered (and paid for) an Equinox then they expect to have available production wise meaning they couldn't sell/deliver more nox's even if they wanted to. 

Not getting my nox by the end of January is not going to cause me to cancel my order or demand my money back. Sure I will be frustrated but Minelab will not lose me as a customer. I know that deep down Minelab doesn't care a lick about me and I'm okay with that. I don't want a relationship with Minelab, just a detector that makes detecting more fun than it already is. 

• Like 4

I would look at Garrett or Deus . As I say Minelab has run through my veins and truly NEVER review any other brands . I have 4 grandkids who I can let use it after I buy the Nox anyway . And thankfully now three of them love to come detecting . And whatever Grandma likes so do they . No not brainwashed . ?? 

I don't think this is a Minelab marketing ploy , they are smarter enough to know they are going to get the majority of the VLF market just from the response on prospecting forums and pre orders. Steve is spot on with his assessment Minelab must get it right from the first release , so take your time Minelab and get it right . I have never witnessed so many adults with the impatient waiting for Father Xmas attitude . I'll just keep finding gold with my SDC until my Equinox arrives  . And then look out for the box tick for a gold sovereign . " wonder if I can beat Steve to that box " !!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

goldrat

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Judy said:

I would look at Garrett or Deus . As I say Minelab has run through my veins and truly NEVER review any other brands . I have 4 grandkids who I can let use it after I buy the Nox anyway . And thankfully now three of them love to come detecting . And whatever Grandma likes so do they . No not brainwashed . ?? 

I would say judy you already scored the best treasure you could find, 3 grandkids who have come to love detecting because of you. That's worth more than all the gold the equinox could ever find you. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Judy said:

Just kind of scratching my head on this one.  Not sure why you would not just wait a few more weeks and let Minelab attempt to meet its first advertised deadline.  The detectors you are looking at either do not hold a candle to the Equinox in terms of technical capability (single frequency Garrett AT Max, I presume) or cost 1.5 times as much as still have some shortcomings vs. the Equinox (Deus - and I own one and love it, but know where it falls short vs. Equinox and where the Equinox falls short vs. Deus).  But without knowing what is attracting you to the Equinox in the first place and what you are hoping it can do for you, it is hard to make an alternative recommendation.  For example, why is another capable multi-frequency Minelab (e.g., Safari or E-Trac) not in the running?  Genuinely wishing you the best in whatever direction you decide to go, but would like to help you with some recommendations, if you wish because you seem to be very distraught about the Equinox release situation.

Ha ha Distraught is a bit of an over the top statement . I don't take it that seriously but I am a person who sees black and white only . Make the thing and advertise it then . Otherwise there are other motives of probably trying to stop people buying other brands . And yes I know all companies do it but I don't respect that type of hype from anyone . Thanks for reminding me of the E Trac as I didn't think about it . Lots of googling going to happen tonight . Anyway I can buy one in 6 months once the hype is over and I see  reviews about it . I don't think all the treasure will be gone by then . 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Judy said:

Ha ha Distraught is a bit of an over the top statement . I don't take it that seriously but I am a person who sees black and white only . Make the thing and advertise it then . Otherwise there are other motives of probably trying to stop people buying other brands . And yes I know all companies do it but I don't respect that type of hype from anyone . Thanks for reminding me of the E Trac as I didn't think about it . Lots of googling going to happen tonight . Anyway I can buy one in 6 months once the hype is over and I see  reviews about it . I don't think all the treasure will be gone by then . 

I can wait for my machine no problem . I have 2 Explorer's and an E.Trac which do all i need , though at a weight issue ! or at least a bit. But yesterday my E 11 found another Gold so i am happy .

But your right . Why announce a new machine when its so far from actual release unless its to damage sales of other makes and the sales of detectors from dealers ? And i know that to be true here and 1 or 2 dont sell Minelab so they must be seeing sales drop ? And what happens if there is a software issue that cannot be resolved and not saying there is but what if ? That will look very embarrassing to Minelab after promising a machine that will render all else or nearly all else obsolete . Smacks of arrogance .

I know Minelabs are brilliant and Minelab doesn't have to convince me of that but they do have to win orders elsewhere from people that have bought other makes whilst they have been sitting on their laurels for the last few years making Gold machines and looking like they have ignored the bulk of the relic hobby market . 

They brought out the CTX , a machine that really wasn't the best for sales here and in many Countries compared to previous models , you dont see many of them about in UK digs and rallies and even on the beaches they are rare , saw the first one for ages last week on my local beach. The CTX looked to blingy and made Minelab look like they were trying to hard to please , they only please the few . It does a good job but you have to go round to many houses to get to where your going with it , lighter and less complicated menu it would have sold far better.

Then came the Go Find , maybe it has a few interesting ideas but it was another failure here , never see them about . I know that maybe its for kids to a point but it could have been given a stronger stem and a coil cover then it would have sold very well as a backup or holiday machine. It is an almost machine ! I wonder what the 22  , 44 and 66 will have as improvements ?

I also look at the Gold Monster with doubt but cannot comment other than the stem which i dont like , if you are short unlike me and bought one you would see what i mean . Looks like a prospecting Go Find .

Judy , If your interested in the E.Trac you will find it hard to beat for most detecting . It has its drawbacks but they can be overcome to a point . If you buy one then buy the Gray Ghost headphones and an RNB battery pack and ditch the Minelab battery and pack , you wont look back . And if you want any help with it i will be glad to help . Bloody good machine , pity it isn't waterproof but its 99% the same as a CTX as a machine . The ET isn't a quick machine like the Equinox but the target info is still second to none and its an easy machine to understand . 

One thing the Equinox has going for it is that it is a replacement for the Terra's and being waterproof and multi freq and if that works as well as we might be led to be believed then it will take a massive slice of the market over the next 5 years .

But Minelab need to be a little more up front with us if they are going to announce a new machine but then drag out its release like this. If they said nothing till it was ready or nearly ready all this arguing on forums and Faceache would not be happening . 

• Like 1

Thanks Nuke em . That was very informative . The weight issue I will need to think about as dumb as it might seem that did make the Equinox attractive . I am 63 and got crook hands from neuropathy due to no B 12 so will look and feel the weight.  But it does sound like a good machine. I am still very active detecting atleast  once a fortnight and once a month do 3 days In a row . Lots to think about . In our retirement speed is not an issue ?  like it would have 20 yrs ago

Might still be best to wait for the Equinox. If you don't detect often and rest after a couple of hours then the ET should be fine. Depends on time between finds too. Gets to me after a while.

• Like 1