kiwijw

My Last Gold Of 2017 & First For 2018

Nice photos and great story as usual. My wife's been after me to back on the water. Boat has been sitting for two years. Went to start it up last weekend. . Rats got into the boat and made a real mess. Chewed through the power trim/tilt wires on the outboard. Made a nest out of my favorite hat etc.  I've got traps on there now but a lot more work to do before I can take it out. I guess nows a good time as it's Winter over on my side of the world. Thanks for posting 

strick  

• Thanks 1

JW,  Years ago when I first started selling detectors, I realized I needed to have good stories and photos.  This was before the internet became popular and way before GoPros.  If I shared with customers some of my stories of success it reeled them in much easier.

Now I realize it is not the detectors I sell...It is dreams and adventure.

Keep it up my friend...the stories, photos and adventures.  You are reeling us in with each one and we like it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great story! Thanks John!

That might be where my Gold Bug Pro may excel, I can run it straight under high voltage power lines with the Nel sharpshooter on and it doesn't blink an eye, you wouldn't even know they were there.

• Thanks 1

Fantastic Pics JW, its on my bucket list to do a tour of NZ beautiful place, looks like I might have to pack my detector :wink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just out of interest John, how deep were the bits of gold you found at that spot, and what weight do you think they were? just trying to work out in my head if it were me there with my GBP would I of had the same finds.  I seem to be able to get .3 of a gram at 3" to 4", .2 of a gram at 2.5", .5 of a gram at 4" to 5"

The great thing about the GBP is it doesn't seem to care at all about power lines.  Right under them it runs the same as if they weren't there.  I have these big high voltage ones that come off the windmill farm at Mossburn not too far from my house so went there to test it out and was able to run right under the lines with no problems at all.  My Garrett Euroace just went nuts under the powerlines as did the Teknetics T2 but the Goldbug Pro was perfect.

13 hours ago, Mop said:

Fantastic Pics JW, its on my bucket list to do a tour of NZ beautiful place, looks like I might have to pack my detector :wink:

Thanks Mop. You can fly direct to Queenstown from Melbourne. Look me up if you jump the ditch.

Good luck out there

JW  :smile:

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

Just out of interest John, how deep were the bits of gold you found at that spot, and what weight do you think they were? just trying to work out in my head if it were me there with my GBP would I of had the same finds.  I seem to be able to get .3 of a gram at 3" to 4", .2 of a gram at 2.5", .5 of a gram at 4" to 5"

The great thing about the GBP is it doesn't seem to care at all about power lines.  Right under them it runs the same as if they weren't there.  I have these big high voltage ones that come off the windmill farm at Mossburn not too far from my house so went there to test it out and was able to run right under the lines with no problems at all.  My Garrett Euroace just went nuts under the powerlines as did the Teknetics T2 but the Goldbug Pro was perfect.

Hi there Simon, nothing too shabby about the depth you are getting those at. You just have to walk over them out  in the field. Thats the hard part. In the workings of my above post a good friend of mine found a 4 gram nugget in these workings with a GBP. That was long after I had tried with my GP 3000, of which I did get a few but it was hard work due to the EMI. I am a sucker for running my detectors as hot as I can because our kiwi gold is on the small size & that is just what you have to do to stand a chance of pinging them. Any bigger gold will just leap out but they are few & far between. It is the tiny whisper signals that you have to target & focus on. With interest we both went back there at a later time. He had since got a Whites TDI & I still had my 3000. I still to this day cant understand why he didnt get a Minelab as gold was his living. But that is a different story. From memory I dont think either of us got any thing. He was able to detect right under the power lines but I just put that down to him dumbing down his detector so much that he wouldn't have got any gold any way.

The bits I got with the Zed were .29 .35 .23 & .11 of a gram. You can probably see in the pics the depths. They weren't deep. I would say between 1 inch to 4 inches at the most. Cant tell you which piece was at what depth now. The Gold Monster bits were .05 & .03 of a gram & just a couple of scrapes & they were out. What I didn't show was how many bloody shot gun pellets I got as well. Both with the Zed & the GM. Often with the Zed a pellet gives a double blip. Not so with the GM. They all sound just like gold & I have to dig them.

I only came on here quickly to have a look as I was charging up my batteries for the SDC 2300. Havnt used that in a long time but the 12 mile has heaps of iron stone & the 2300 is pretty good at ignoring those & not too bad on small shallow gold. I was going to head on out to you at 12 mile but on seeing your post realise now that you just did a day trip yesterday & didnt camp over night. So I will give that a miss now. May as well carry on now & continue this post with my 2018 gold finds. I have been try to nut out video editing so I could put together one clip showing our jet boating trips over my xmas break. I see you tube editor has been taken down & as I arent the sharpest tool, tool yes, but not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes that kind of stuff. So I have downloaded a free editing program. Just have to suss out how to do it all now. Detecting for gold is a lot easier :biggrin:. Stay tuned the jet boating may happen yet.

Ok...So from the 23rd of decembers last detecting day of 2017 & getting back from the West Coast, Mrs JW says to me (apparently on facebook little reminders pop up of what you did 12 months ago) "Oh, NZ Jet Boating is having that Jet Boat run up the Matukituki river tomorrow, shall we go?" Last year 12 months earlier we went along as spectators & Mrs JW put up some pics on facebook. Hence the reminder 12 months later. I agreed. So we packed a picnic etc off we went the next day. Ok....I will throw in some pics that Mrs JW took. She took some video too but that is what I ma trying to suss out & put it all on one clip. I did have the GO Pro on but thought it was on one touch operation, but it wasnt. I didnt activate the video :rolleyes: BUGGER. Would have had some cool footage in some of the skinny narrow bits of water. Grounded once on the way back down. No one helped but we got out of it. Had to get Mrs JW to sit on the bow to get the jet unit up off the bottom a bit. She wasn't that rapt but once done & we were off again realised it wasn't all that bad.

Waiting in line to launch.

20180102_094132

Launched & ready to go

20180102_101730

On the way up

20180102_102909

Our arrival at the top end for a picnic lunch before turning around & heading back down. Our little boat is the fourth one up (with the blue rope) from the blue one in the foreground.

20180102_110817

Was a brilliant day weather wise & river wise, just over 30 boats. 36 degrees Celsius. No better way to spend it than on the water. Getting too hot to go detecting.

20180102_114026

Was a way cool day. Had a blast.

Next day Mrs JW & I headed on down the Clutha river to some old gold workings that are only accessible by boat. I packed the GB2 & the Gold Monster.

Boat in the drink & just picking up Mrs JW.

20180103_110348

Our arrival at the old workings.

20180103_121919

Suck it in JW

20180103_123023(0)

Some of the workings.

20180103_132215

Down stream is a hydro dam so the river level is now about 30 meters higher than the original river back in the gold rush days. So these workings look to be old ancient river bed although the rocks arent that river rounded. Maybe a bit of glacial too.

Here is the extent of where they sluiced back to. You will notice those two horizontal stone walls above. They are water races the top one came from a creek to the right of the pic. The bottom one you will see terminating at the right down over the bank where it has cut into. 

20180103_133114

The bank material. This looks more like stream material. They had tunneled into this face as well. Prospecting deeper in.

20180103_13215120180103_132156

Remains of a hut. The two gable end walls.

20180103_133303

Hows this for stacked rock work, where as up the back it is just a tumble of mess.

20180103_135450

Formed steps going up the rock tailings

20180103_133450

End result on the gold front. ZILCH. But a pocket of lead shot.

to be continued.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looks like you found the gold in the paradise you live in. Thanks for the awesome photos!

• Thanks 1