kiwijw

My Last Gold Of 2017 & First For 2018

On the 5th of Jan Mrs JW & I went on a bit of a walk to a spot that I hadnt been to for two years almost to the day when I took my eldest & youngest sons. I was running the 4500 with 14" Coiltek Elite coil & my eldest the SDC 2300 & youngest the good old GB2. He was the only one of us to find gold that day. He got 6 little bits of gold with the GB2. The first bit was the smallest ever bit of detected gold I had ever seen. My first time in here was with the friend that found that 4 grammer with his GBP in the above post. This time though he had his TDI & I was running my GP 3000 with Minelab Commander 11" mono. It was hard detecting.The gold wasn't flowing, that is for sure. I eventually  found a deepish nice slug in the bottom of a wash. I then put on the little coiltek 10 x 5 mono joey coil & scored a few smaller bits in shallower bed rock that the old boys had sluiced down to. My mate got nothing with his TDI. I cant recall what coil he had on it.

Any way. Here are a few pics. Mrs JW sitting in amongst the washed bed rock just to the right of center. In a direct line from her to my back pack you will see the white coil of the Zed. I was just scoping out that gully. I had taken the Gold Monster as well. This hill side has been ground washed pretty thoroughly by the old timers. This is where they brought the water down the top of the spurs in shallow drainage ditches, spilling the water either side of the spur washing the ground pretty much ever where. Just above Mrs JW you will see that line of greenery which is a little gully they opened up as is the one just below my pack. To the right of the picture these two gullies meet. There is absolutely no water in any of these gullies across the entire hill side. 

20180105_141104

This pic shows where the two little gullies meet at that dark rocky bank & the next pic just blows me away with the labour & effort the old timers put in at this junction.

20180105_141110

Check out the stacked rocks terraced up the bank side. The picture doesn't do it justice. There is a path heading down on the right side to the bottom of the dry gully that they would have walked up & down & possibly with a wheel barrow.

20180105_135316

I went all over these workings & washed bed rock with the Gold Monster first off. No gold but a heap of lead pellets. Man....where didnt they discharge these bloody things?? So out with the Zed. It was hard going but I finally got a signal that lived on down into the schist bed rock. This was looking promising.

20180105_162201

I broke out the GM to confirm ferrous or not & not won the moment. Oh yer baby....this has got to be gold now peeling out schist bed rock & the signal still there.

And it was. Ye Ha.

20180105_162210

It was a long time before I was on to another promising signal. Oh so faint but as I scraped down it improved slightly. Still not very convincing but it appeared to still be there after scraping into the schist. Again I used the GM to confirm ferrous or not & not won again. Could of course still be lead shot. Then with the Zed it was gone. Couldnt get a signal any where. WTF.....Back with the GM & located it & retrieved it with the GM

20180105_175038

I had detected this area with the GM & didnt get that signal. So initial signal got with the Zed then lost & recovered with the GM. That was odd, but happy to snag it. That Zed still blows me away. We decided to head on down but I detected as we went across these washed areas & gullies. Wasn't being too careful & the Zed scored another tiny bit similar to the one above. That was it though, just the three for the day. .32 .13 & .05 of a gram all to the Zed. Just on half a gram :rolleyes:

Next day was to a local spot for a quick late afternoon/evening detect as it is too hot during the day. Didn't take my camera but scored 6 bits for 1.87 grams. It was to some old workings where I had taken the Zed before but in the conservative setting when I got just over 5 grams in 12 pieces. So I was chuffed to get those. In fact I went back again yesterday & got two more for .68 of a gram.

On the 7th of jan headed of to some different workings. It was a stinkin hot day & I wasn't focusing too well in the heat. But I battled on. Finally got a sweet sounding signal.

20180107_174645

And it wasn't too shabby a bit of gold.

20180107_174658

Not far away from this one I managed another so two so far for the Zed

20180107_174649

Then it dried up for ages & the heat was rattling me. But I soldiered on & finally got another nice sounding hit. Very faint but it lived on down into the rotten schist bed rock.

20180107_180651

Peeling out the schist & starting to get on down bit I could have sworn it was going to be a decent bit of gold. Gold it was but not that decent. I couldnt believe it but gold none the less. I will take it.

20180107_180659

Called it quits after that one. So again just the three for a long HOT day. .82 .37 & .13 total of 1.34 grams.

Top row is my last day of 2017.  2nd row when Mrs JW came along with me up into the hills. 3rd row when I went to a local spot & didnt take the camera with me & the last row is the above 3. Total of 4.88 grams

20180108_190031

Cheers

Best of luck out there

JW

• Like 5

I am very envious of your days out! I guess it really helps to know what you're looking for, to me most of that old gravel and rock just looked like everything else around, I wouldn't know they're old mine workings and so on, oh so much to learn.  it's great to read your posts.  I wasn't able to go for the weekend this weekend to 12 Mile as I have a friend of my wife and her husband moving from Brisbane to Invercargill arriving on Thursday and they're staying with us for some time until their container arrives so today was required to get ready for the visitors.  I was hoping to go spend the weekend there this weekend.  My next time when I camp there i'll let you know and it would be good to meet up if you can and swing the detectors, I am sure i'll learn a lot from you. I love your little jetboat It would be a great way to get around.

• Thanks 1

My first gold of 2018, nothing like your motherlode but I'm proud of it.  Just a couple of hours on the sluice.

I saw on another forum some guy saying Queenstown has no gold left and has been cleaned out long ago.  I hope to prove him wrong, I maybe a complete amateur and not have the best equipment but I have determination, and that's got to help.  If i'm not wrong the same guy that said there was no gold left in Queenstown is in another thread saying how much gold is in the Arrow River showing the masses of gold hes got from there.  http://community.paydirt.co.nz/t/public-fossicking-area-collaboration-arrow-river/2025/3

I'm considering moving back there to be closer to the action, my house there in Fernhill is rented out but we'd like to send our daughter to high school there as the local rural school is just too small.

IMG_20190104.jpg

Do you think some of the larger bits in this pan the GM1000 would be capable of hitting on if they were a few inches from the coil? It could come in handy to find spots to sluice if it can.  I think all the people complaining about the GM1000 have got it all wrong saying its a bad detector, the saying you're only as good as your equipment doesn't work for them, your equipment is only as good as you! If they used it properly obviously they would do much better.  I think it's like me with my Gold Bug Pro, blaming the Gold Bug, I'm sure it's not its fault, it's me not knowing how to use it properly, combined with just not being in the right place at the right time.

• Like 2

Try your GM 1000 on a few of those bits. That will tell you. You will need a plastic scoop for waving your dirt with signal in it over the coil. Similar to the green one in this pic. Could even be a plastic garden trowel or a plastic tea/coffee mug. Other wise the GM 1000 will give a false reading on your hand. You will also need a decent pick for attacking the ground, similar to the one in the top right. A geologist pick isn't ideal as you really want a pick one end & a flat blade/hoe on the other. I also have a strong rear earth magnet drilled & screwed & siliconed into the end of the handle. This will pick up any ferrous items like old boot tacks, horse shoe nails & fragments, any rusty iron scale crap etc. Save you time trying to sort it out by isolating it in your hand or scoop. It just goes"click" straight on to the magnet when you get a signal & then drag/wave the magnet through the dirt.   

20180105_162201

Cheers

JW :smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ordered a magnet and a pick this morning! thanks for the tip!  I have some of those green scoops already, got them at dredgenz, only 7 bucks each or something like that, they seem good, I use them to feed my sluice.  I took you advice and ran my small gold under the GM, results in my other post in the Hard time detecting my first nugget.

The GM1000 came with a plastic scoop too but I prefer the green ones

• Like 1

JW,  You live the life my friend.  Speed boats, girls, gold and beautiful scenery.  Some very neat hand workings for sure.  Why the Monster in the bush and the Bug in the hand?

Keep the stories coming.

• Thanks 1

On 20/01/2018 at 12:03 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

JW,  You live the life my friend.  Speed boats, girls, gold and beautiful scenery.  Some very neat hand workings for sure.  Why the Monster in the bush and the Bug in the hand?

Keep the stories coming.

Hi there Gerry, Thank you. The life I live is the one I have chosen. I guess we are all responsible for our own destiny & mine is just unfolding as it is now. I took a huge emotional & financial hit when my first marriage of 14 years & four sons later went under. I was blessed to meet & marry my 2nd  Mrs JW. Now in to our 12th year of matrimonial bliss . My wants & needs are very simple & I don't want & need for much. Since we moved down to Queenstown from the Coromandel region of the North Island, in its own right a very beautiful place with its coastal ocean beaches with many of them being quite remote & unspoilt, even has gold up in its hills & streams but not as good as Central Otago. Most of my outside of work time is spent wandering the hills exploring & detecting for gold. I just love being "out there" up in the wilderness with often just me & not another soul to be seen. I like it like that. Mrs JW tags along on occasions but they are getting less. She used to swing a detector but lacks the patience.The jet boat is a very recent thing & again it just offers another form of freedom & being able to explore remote places when all to often it is just Mrs JW & I. Just like my 4x4 takes me to some amazing & remote places the jet boat is like 4 wheel driving on water & takes you place that you otherwise would not be able to get to. Well not with out a very long & difficult walk.

20171226_100425

Lake Ellery. Just stunning.

20171226_102845

A bit of video footage that Mrs JW took.

As to girls...Mrs JW is the only girl in my life. :smile: And as to the GB2 being in my hand & the GM in the "bushes" Mrs JW just caught a pic of me when I was using the GB2. As much as I like the GM I still have a very soft spot for the GB2. I love its little 6x3 robust bullet proof coil as I do get a bit of bump falsing with the GM. When I can "drive" to an area I always have both with me. If I hike into areas I always shoulder the Zed but take turns with either packing in the GB2 or the GM. If i aren't hiking too far I will pack in both. :rolleyes: 

Cheers.

Best of luck out there

JW :smile: