phrunt

Having A Hard Time Detecting That First Nugget

Thanks, I appreciate the support. Woke up this morning all recharged and ready to go out today and try again!

I am certain the area I've been in only has lots of tiny gold, with the odd bigger bit way too far down for a metal detector to find, well my detector anyway, I can't speak for these fancy PI machines, I've never used one.

I know once I find my first elusive nugget with the GBP I will start to enjoy it a lot more as I'll have faith in myself and the machine, until you do you seem to doubt everything's ability, including your own when you spend 50+ hours swinging and only find junk.  But what is reassuring is some of the junk I have found is as small or smaller than a small nugget and quite deep down.  Fortunately we have very mild soils here.

I'm finding my a52 sluice, pan and a shovel is a good provider of tiny gold and I get 20+ bits per bucket but it's also proof for me my detector has no hope in the area unless there is a stray nugget somewhere to be found but I imagine being a public prospecting area its been well hunted.  I think the most important thing for me now is to find some new ground.

Simon

• Like 1

small gold is a game of inches your small coil may only see a target at 2 inches or less. so what I suggest and what I do is  to pick an area where gold was found before , rake or dig away the overburden down to the bedrock checking  with the detector every six inches or so . use a crevice tool and get  the tip of the coil as close to the bedrock  cracks as possible .

good luck

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Steve has hit the nail fair & square on the head. That is exactly how it is. Well I know it was/is for me & as flakmagnet has said, I am sure most of the people in this forum do as well. To keep being dedicated it helps to have a love & a passion of the great outdoors & ALL it has to offer. For me personally, I just love being "out there" the gold being a bonus. I have more to say but I am off out for a "hunt".

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

• Like 2

You are truly hooked now, good on you. Tis a magic hobby.

• Like 1

yep, that's done the trick! I'm hooked :biggrin:

What I love about detecting is that the worst thing that happens is you have a great time outdoors...

Congratulations on your first find.

• Like 6

Yay, congratulations on your first detected nugget!! :biggrin:

• Thanks 1

I'm very pleased with my first find, and I agree, swinging my detector around being outdoors looking up at the mountains and walking along crystal clear creeks is hardly a punishment, this is my metal detector beginners playground, a public fossicking place called 12 Mile Delta marked on the photo

location1.jpg

and this is the creek I found my nugget!!!!

12-mile-delta-campground.jpg

and all of my sluiced gold of course

The great thing about detecting in New Zealand is the countryside is stunning, a joy to be in the outdoors.

• Like 7

WOW! Stunning scenery. I would consider the Gold you find just a bonus....

Beav

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1