Why Would You Want The Equinox?

Why do you want the Equinox?

Maybe I should say why I want the Equinox?

For me it is the accumulation of years of detecting and knowing, that in most cases new technology brings new benefits to the hobby.  For the past 20 years I’ve seen a huge leap in technology.   Both the computer industry (actually had a computer business for 10 years) and of course metal detectors have excelled at a phenomenal rate.   Faster CPU’s allow more data to be processed and analyzed, for both.   Like most treasure hunters I’m looking for the so called edge that allows me to excel in the hobby.  The presumed hunted out sites come alive with additional treasures.  This adds more excitement and rewards as time is spent learning a new machine.  Then, all of a sudden you believe in the detector you’re using and the finds seem to come with little if any effort on your part.  Amazing, yes, humans have the ability to excel if they believe in something and detecting is no exception.  Now I’d like to bring in a particular machine.  The V3i when running three frequencies opened up many a site where I live.  My buddy, who first purchased the V3i whipped me at every site when it came to finding silver, so his nickname became Fred Silverman, hence the phrase.  We spent many hours comparing targets and the majority of the time my machine didn’t give as good an audio or ID than his.  I had the best detector that could be bought “not mentioning the brand”, but that didn’t make a difference.  Then I bought a V3i and sure enough it made a difference for me as well.  Loved the machine, but for me it was too heavy to hunt long at a time and having neck problems prevented me from keeping the machine very long so I had to sell.  Bought a Deus, super light weight, but even it couldn’t compete with my friends V3i, multi-frequency.  We did side by side comparisons, over several months, but even the Deus in my area couldn’t compete, so I sold.  Coming full circle, the Equinox has what I’m looking for:

Multi-Frequency like the V3i

Light weight like the Deus

Extremely fast like the Deus

Adjustability like the V3i and Deus

Multi-tone like the Deus and V3i

Better price point, cheaper than both

Then I must add all the other features wireless and waterproof.

Just how I feel

• Like 2

For me is a combo of all the following...

New technology, fast recovery, adjustable recovery speed, noise cancel, lightweight, waterproof, better ID at depth, multi frequency or single, adjustable tone break, adjustable tone pitch, notch capability. Weighs less than 3 lbs built-in rechargeable battery, charge on the fly,  adjustable backlight.   That should do it for now :)  oh, it's Minelab!!
  • Like 1

I’ll make it short and maybe sweet.

The Equinox is not like any I have had in the past and yet should carry me in the future beyond my detecting days.

That’s what I expect out of the Equinox and I’ll settle for nothing less .

Chuck

As my skills in the hobby have improved over the last few years, I have been seriously looking at multi-frequency detectors as a way to enhance certain areas.  With the announcement of the Equinox I believe that it may be the best option for me.  It is an all terrain unit that appears to have an easy to use interface at a rather reasonable price point.  I'm excited about how this machine will perform but still curious about accessory prices.

8 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

I’ll make it short and maybe sweet.

The Equinox is not like any I have had in the past and yet should carry me in the future beyond my detecting days.

That’s what I expect out of the Equinox and I’ll settle for nothing less .

Chuck

That's kind of how I feel, being 60.

Game changing cake is:  having the advantages of multifrequency WITH fast recovery.  Killer combo.  Now a detectorist can have it all (or at least mostly) at an insane price point.

The icing:

Relatively light weight (still 1lb more than the <2lb Deus so I will have to get used to that)

Dunkable.

Straight forward user interface

Single and high frequency operation (Deus will still stick around though with 50 to 80 khz capability)

Manual and Automatic Noise Cancelling

5 million different wireless options PLUS waterproof wired audio

Small coil options

• Like 1

For water hunters Chase ........ just having the option to change coils and headphones is a big plus.   A good many are hard wired dive machines which we use as waders.  No box to open........ or flood.    Comes with a straight shaft not S shaft and can easily be used as a travel machine.   Like the CTX we will again have the TID screen with its information and light for hunting in the dark........ and it has that screen protector.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

For water hunters Chase ........ just having the option to change coils and headphones is a big plus.   A good many are hard wired dive machines which we use as waders.  No box to open........ or flood.    Comes with a straight shaft not S shaft and can easily be used as a travel machine.   Like the CTX we will again have the TID screen with its information and light for hunting in the dark........ and it has that screen protector.

Little confused (as I am usually).  Got the impression from the way you worded your post I said something contradictory?  Were you just commenting because I put interchangeable coils and WP headphones on the icing vs. cake list? Lol.