Why Would You Want The Equinox?

No..... you didnt say a thing wrong or contradictory.   I was just adding some of the things we water hunters see as upgrades that others may not consider.  Some of them we have to modify currently raising the price of the machines.

• Like 1

Got it.  The thread was "Why would you want the Equinox" and not being a big water hunter put down what was important to me in response to Mark's original post.  I think dedicated water hunters like you are going to have a blast with it and with the price point, not a big investment gambled if it doesn't earn it's "salt" as someone on here said. HH.

Why do i want the Equinox ? 

Well , apart from being waterproof and lightweight i dont need it ! But i do have to lighten the load on my back and shoulders a bit . I dont think it will increase my finds rate , i find lots of coinage anyway and in the next few years i think the cashless society will kill coin hunting on the beaches . I suppose thats when i really need the Equinox , for in water detecting . I will also use it as a replacement for my last Deus and use it on land when i do digs again .

The machine that matters most to me is the next machine . The one that replaces my ET and Explorer's . Till then , they are staying in my inventory . 

• Like 2

Having been fascinated with metal detecting since an early age, it wasn’t until I was in my forties that I finally arrived at getting my first metal detector.  As with most people, I reviewed for what seemed to be months on what to purchase, and decided on an AT PRO.  For me at the time it was the “best bang for my buck”, and would handle all of our fine beaches in Nebraska.  Last year I was contemplating a new machine as I wanted to have some of the newer technologies.  The more I researched, I liked allot of the characteristics of the CTX 3030 and some of the characteristics of the XP Deus.  The only thing that kept me from a 3030 was price and weight…  I ended up buying a NEL Thunder for my AT PRO instead.  Since the breaking news of the Equinox 800, I have been anxious about getting my hands on this machine, as I know it is what I was looking for last year.

• Like 4

Why I want Equinox 

multi-freq. or separate-frequency.                                            

Depth with accurate ID

fast and adjustable recovery

adjustable tone breaks

ground balance tracking

wireless headphones 

waterproof, durability, lightweight 

to unmask good colonial targets in iron-strewn sites and all other terrain and to do more fresh water detecting. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MrHusker said:

Having been fascinated with metal detecting since an early age, it wasn’t until I was in my forties that I finally arrived at getting my first metal detector.  As with most people, I reviewed for what seemed to be months on what to purchase, and decided on an AT PRO.  For me at the time it was the “best bang for my buck”, and would handle all of our fine beaches in Nebraska.  Last year I was contemplating a new machine as I wanted to have some of the newer technologies.  The more I researched, I liked allot of the characteristics of the CTX 3030 and some of the characteristics of the XP Deus.  The only thing that kept me from a 3030 was price and weight…  I ended up buying a NEL Thunder for my AT PRO instead.  Since the breaking news of the Equinox 800, I have been anxious about getting my hands on this machine, as I know it is what I was looking for last year.

Interesting, MrHusker!

I have a similar story to you, in that I had been fascinated with "digging in the dirt" and "finding stuff" (be it interesting rocks, whatever), since I was really young.  And, at the same time, I had also developed a fascination with coins (my dad had a wheat cent collection that was fascinating to me).  And so, at age 12 or so, when I first saw my grandfather's blue-box White's GoldMaster collecting dust in the basement, shortly after he died, I just had to try it out!  I had no idea what I was doing, no manual, no idea what the knobs were for, but I DID find a few neat things in the yard, before the batteries died!  Since I couldn't afford to keep buying batteries, I sort of wandered off into other things I was interested in (golf, baseball, hunting, fishing...)  BUT -- that planted the seed, and the fascination never went away.  It was the place where my "interest in finding stuff in the ground," and my interest in coins, intersected...and it stayed with me all these years!

As a result of that initial "seed" being planted, I ended up picking up an old Bounty Hunter unit, about 10 years ago.  I dabbled with it for a couple of years a time or two here and there, but that was about it.  However, one day, I happened to dig a simple, lowly Memorial penny; it was the first time I had dug a coin -- and that was it.  I was hooked!  Fast forward ten years, and here we are!  My only regret is that back in the early '80s when I was that 12-year old boy, living in Pennsylvania, that I didn't pursue the hobby immediately.  I can only imagine what all I would have found, had I started back then!

Anyway, so, why do I want an Equinox?  Mainly to hopefully "fill in the gaps" and do the specific jobs that my CTX isn't quite as good at (hunting in heavily-iron-laden old home sites, picking through the very trashy sections of public parks, etc.) -- in other words, allowing me to better and more effectively fulfill that apparently inborn instinct to "find coins and other cool stuff in the ground!"

Steve

• Like 2

I would still like one but I keep reading that people are putting a deposit on one and I had wanted to pay for mine in full 2 months ago and again 2 weeks ago and just get told "we will call when we know something  as Minelab hasn't told us anything yet ." This is a same response from two different people . So is Australia on the lucky last list or what . 

• Like 1

I hunt mainly heavily hunted public parks and saltwater beaches. The Equinox looks like it will give me an advantage in both places. Deeper accurate id in the parks with good separation and good depth with id on the beaches. Being waterproof, I am looking forward to trying it in waist deep water at low tide, where I would not take my Whites Pulsescan. Beginning to look like the Equinox will be very good for small gold on the beach, too. It may make my pulse detector stay home from the beach- we will see....

• Like 2

With the V3i and MXT, I'm covered for urban park/school/old house hunting.  But I spend a lot of time in the Idaho backcountry, hiking, jeeping, exploring, and didn't really have a detector I could bring along for when I come across a possible detecting spot, like swimming holes, campsites, old homesites, or just any interesting site.  For backpacking, weight and breakdown size are important, as is being waterproof so I can check around natural hot springs and other freshwater swimming areas.  Waterproof also means I can hose it down at the end of the day from riding around in the back of my Jeep getting covered in dust.  And when I'm down on the river, like when I'm rafting, trying a little nuggetshooting, or just messing around, I can have a detector that can get wet.  

• Like 3