Alaska - Where Is The Best Place To Go This Summer?

rusty

I would like to go to Alaska this summer. When is the best month to go? Where is the best place to nugget shoot? I read about Chicken and Ganes Creek and am also a GPAA member. I will be driving my truck so traveling is no problem. This will be my first time there. 

Well, in general I tell visitors to shoot for June. Most places are thawed out by then and the weather is about as good as it gets. Generally the later in the year the worse the weather. We are talking weather though so you just never know.

Ganes Creek is no longer open to the public. The best options as similar regard pay-to-mine detecting places are AkAu in Nome and Paradise Valley in the Brooks Range.

For those driving I do think Chicken is a great option having done just that myself the last two summers. Easy for a first time visitor and tons of tips on this website.

For information on these and other paces you can go in Alaska see my Public Mining Sites in Alaska page. For more about Chicken see Steve's 2014 Alaska Gold Adventure

If money was no object probably my first choice for me personally at the moment would be AkAu in Nome just because I have only been to Nome a couple days and never spent any time prospecting there. However, it is a fly to Nome thing and so not a cheap date.