Equinox Multi-IQ Technologies ( Part 3 )

cdv

This "Part 3" is really, really good stuff.  I can't wait for Part 4.  Kudos to Minelab for providing us this info, and I look forward to more -- from them, and from everyone here once the machines are in the hands of the many talented detectorists that frequent the forum.

Gee, I wonder if a couple of people with the initials S.H. and J.P. had anything to do with the improvements to the gold mode (addition of Multi-IQ to that mode)?  ;)  And I wonder if these "last-minute changes" are part of the perceived "slight delay" in targeted release, from the initial target of late Dec., to the official date of later in January.  If so, while Minelab was making potentially significant last-minute improvements to the 800, the forums were ablaze with anger and tantrums and conspiracy theories...  LOL!

Steve

• Like 3

Steve..... now it takes me back to those nuggets..... dare i assume they were found using multi freq?   IF thats the case ive got to believe even for salt water we could be looking at some WOW factors out there...... things we just couldnt find before.    In beach mode.... when it says LOW combo of freqs..... vs VERY low for mode 2...... is that something like the combined freqs might equal 5khz for low and 3 khz for VERY low since you have to deal with the salt?

Ill take my hat off to you testers and ML .......you guys are putting together what seems to be a great all around machine for an ungodly price.   Really seems all of you are talking the same language on this one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Just think if they had already printed the manual.  They couldn't make these changes!  The contents of the box would not conform to the manual and this would set themselves up for 'bait and switch' returns and replacements.

Will we be able to use Park 1 instead of Gold 2?  Beach 2 instead of Gold 1??  :rolleyes:

I'll let you know when I get mine.

Mitchel

Mitchel

Your post got me to postulating in my brain several scenarios to compare modes.  The main one is my local fresh water swimming holes. Will the Equinox in any of it various modes be able to hit the deeper hard pan where many targets lay that have been unreachable to me with any of my current detectors?  In my mind, Park 1 and 5 kHz single freq may have the best chance, perhaps Field 1 as well.  While giving up sensitivity to small gold perhaps one or the other will get just a bit deeper on old silver and large gold bands than what I have been able to reach in the past.

I will be finding out.

Tom

Tom,

From everything that I read from the engineers we are being given a new set of tools to work on the same old problem.  We have to find good targets in noisy ground and trash.

The algorithms they allude to in multi-IQ have to stand on the shoulders of previous models from ML and others.  They know their market pretty well I'd say.  The newer, faster chips allow for many target ID advances.  I would think that one of them would be to take the fainter signal and enhance it for lack of better understanding.  Their signal transmit has obviously undergone changes.  Will this combination 'learn' as it goes?  Probably.

The second part of the problem of ignoring everything but good targets (ground balance/noise cancel) is receiving good attention also.  Notching rather than all metal mode may be the choice because of still more algorithms and its speed.  (My 3030 is always all metal.  That doesn't mean I dig everything!)

All of this is 'assumed' based upon the tester information provided so far.  Some is from Steve, JP and Brandon and some is from others with their videos.  They probably had the hardware for this detector about a year ago.  Since that time they have been giving it lessons.  The testers they have now will take the engineered parts and pieces and make it sing more clearly before we get our hands on it.

Will the end result be just another VLF with a different shirt on?  It doesn't seem so.

Mitchel

• Like 2

Mitchel

With the Equinox Minelab as you say has looked at and addressed many of the weaknesses  of current technology . The fact that the various operating modes have presets for best operation in differing ground conditions is one of the reasons why ML is a leader in the industry.  I have no doubt this if nothing else will make it a winner.

Tom

• Like 1

I agree, the processing of signals are starting to remind me of my PI.  Interesting concept.

5 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

In beach mode.... when it says LOW combo of freqs..... vs VERY low for mode 2...... is that something like the combined freqs might equal 5khz for low and 3 khz for VERY low since you have to deal with the salt?

I'm thinking lower weighted is a combination of something like, 15kHz and 5kHz, and very low weighted as, 10kHz and 5kHz.

3 hours ago, Jackpine said:

In my mind, Park 1 and 5 kHz single freq may have the best chance, perhaps Field 1 as well.

From what Minelab is saying, the single frequencies don't have a significant advantage over Multi-IQ. You may get more depth, but lose accuracy using only 1 frequency.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, tsunamiscott said:

I'm thinking lower weighted is a combination of something like, 15kHz and 5kHz, and very low weighted as, 10kHz and 5kHz.

From what Minelab is saying, the single frequencies don't have a significant advantage over Multi-IQ. You may get more depth, but lose accuracy using only 1 frequency.

I get what ML says and what Steve H has also pointed out in many posts.    In my case when hunting fresh water I dig iron foil bouncers which may be tiny gold items or deep rings.  ID accuracy doesn't come into play.  What I need is more depth than current single freakers.  Currently I am using the 705 with the 7.5 kHz 9" concentric and a Coiltek cable extension for fresh water hunting.  All metal disc mostly but also using the Prospecting mode at times.

The true all metal prospecting mode makes it a tough act to follow. 

1 hour ago, tsunamiscott said:

TS........ i dont remember ML saying they used the single freqs and combined them.   Multi..... couple or bunch.  They really havent said which .... or better yet HOW MANY maybe combined/transmitted like they did with BBS/FBS.