What Are Aptx Low Latency Headphones?

martygene

The CTX-3030 using the WM10 is very much the same as the Equinox 800 using the WM8 and both allow the user to use their own preferred headphones, here in the UK we have a Minelab tester called Gordon Heritage who makes his own brand of headphones called GOGS and so as to utilise them on the WM10 wireless receiver he supplies them with a short screw on curly cable and a longer screw on curly cable to allow the user to use any other detector with his headphones.

Gordon owns and runs the (MLO) Minelab Owners Forum here in the UK and where there is plenty of information about his GOG's headphones.

When I am using my CTX-3030 I put the WM10 wireless receiver in my left shirt pocket and utilise the short curly cable and there is no dangling cables and I have used this setup for the past 5 years with the CTX without any problems and for me to use the same idea with the Equinox WM8 I will need a ¼" to a 1/8" adapter plug about £3 on ebay.

• Like 1

I would love to have a "short cord" option for my SunRay Pro Golds, which would make my way of doing it even better, but...

What I do is buy one of those arm bands that joggers use with their cell phones, called a Tune Belt.  The device slides inside, you slide it on your upper arm, and secure it with the adjustable Velcro strap.  I have used them for years while jogging, and I got one to use with my WM10.  Works great.  

https://www.tunebelt.com/sport-armband-ab84/

Steve

that info is good enough for me Steve. i'll use the supplied 800 headphones and hopefully that will be all that i need. now where the heck is my NOX?  

"The Equinox 800 comes with both aptX headphones and the WM08 module. The headphones are lightweight, decent sound quality, fit completely over my ears (but may not if you have large ears), and the lag is not enough to bother me even in the densest trash. It's there on a faster swing but more or less disappears when I focus on the target. For me the extra speed of the WM08 has not been worth needing to get yet another device involved in the process, so aptX is fine with me, and offers a countless array of third party options. I will test all my various Bluetooth phones (like Air Pods) very soon and report."

• Like 1

On 1/16/2018 at 5:46 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Both Equinox models can use standard Bluetooth headphones (there will be obvious lag), aptX Bluetooth (barely discernible lag), and the WM08 module (no apparent lag).

The Equinox 600 comes with basic wired headphones, 1/8" stereo, the same set that ships with the Gold Monster 1000. These are ok headphones but rest on top of the ear, so not my preferred solution.

The Equinox 800 comes with both aptX headphones and the WM08 module. The headphones are lightweight, decent sound quality, fit completely over my ears (but may not if you have large ears), and the lag is not enough to bother me even in the densest trash. It's there on a faster swing but more or less disappears when I focus on the target. For me the extra speed of the WM08 has not been worth needing to get yet another device involved in the process, so aptX is fine with me, and offers a countless array of third party options. I will test all my various Bluetooth phones (like Air Pods) very soon and report.

I

Thanks Steve and I am looking forward to seeing your  further testing on this.

I like to use sports earbuds in the Summer. I gets pretty hot and they help in that regard.

I am currently looking around for a decent pair of AptX "sports" earbuds that will be OK for a Equinox

2 hours ago, NSC said:

Thanks Steve and I am looking forward to seeing your  further testing on this.

I like to use sports earbuds in the Summer. I gets pretty hot and they help in that regard.

I am currently looking around for a decent pair of AptX "sports" earbuds that will be OK for a Equinox

I ordered these, have had them for a few days now and they're great (for music only so far).....only $30 from amazon....

Anker SoundBuds Slim+ Wireless Headphones Lightweight Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo Earbuds with AptX Superior Pure Sound IPX5 Waterproof Sports Headset with Metallic Housing & Built-in Mic 

Thank you kindly.

I did look at those but I prefer the type with wings that wrap around the ear, they hold on and do not move around.

Anker Soundbuds Curve aptX look to me  like what I have been using.

Heres to sweet tones :smile:

2 hours ago, NSC said:

Thank you kindly.

I did look at those but I prefer the type with wings that wrap around the ear, they hold on and do not move around.

Anker Soundbuds Curve aptX look to me  like what I have been using.

Heres to sweet tones :smile:

Those are the ones I have.  Just waiting for an APT X comoatble metal detector to testvthem out on.  Anyone know where I can get one? :rolleyes:

Please keep in mind: Supporting aptX doesn't mean it supports aptX Low Latency!

I doubt the Anker Soundbuds do.. in other words - I recommend to ask the manufacturer :rolleyes:

• Like 2

On 1/23/2018 at 12:12 AM, Sinclair said:

Please keep in mind: Supporting aptX doesn't mean it supports aptX Low Latency!

I doubt the Anker Soundbuds do.. in other words - I recommend to ask the manufacturer :rolleyes:

Thanks Sinclair :smile: for enlightening us.

..... I have a couple of questions if you know, please.

I presume the reason is the delay  (ie. AptX low latency has less delay  than plain old AptX  ??

* So does the transmitter and the receiver need to be "Apt-X Low Latency" ? 

* Do you know if the Low Latency chip that is required is the CSR8670 - or are there other low latency chips around also ?

Thank you and happy tectin:smile:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NSC said:

Thanks Sinclair :smile: for enlightening us.

..... I have a couple of questions if you know, please.

I presume the reason is the delay  (ie. AptX low latency has less delay  than plain old AptX  ??

* So does the transmitter and the receiver need to be "Apt-X Low Latency" ? 

* Do you know if the Low Latency chip that is required is the CSR8670 - or are there other low latency chips around also ?

Thank you and happy tectin:smile:

Yes, both the transmitter and the receiver need to support aptX Low Latency to take full advantage.

Different brands claim different latencies.. but aptX-LL  should be < 40ms by specification.

Here are some examples:

aptX_audio_delay.PNG

71OmB92EvIL._SY355_.jpg

By the way.. those Miccus SR-71 look exactly like the Minelabs and so do the FeinTech AKH 4-00...

Pretty sure, those are rebranded generic headphones..

As for the chipset - afaik the CSR8675 also supports aptX-LL, maybe some others too.

In the end of the day,  aptX might be fast enough for detecting.. we will soon know :smile:

• Like 2