"Iron Bias" What Is It?

15 minutes ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

Comparing the 800 model to 600 model, one will notice the different span of setting here on the 800 vs the 600 model.

So, question are these settings the (0-3) the same actually performance effect wise between the 2 models the same, or is the span with each model reflected different with the 800 model allowing for more fine tuning (more in between settings from highest to lowest)?

Or does the 800 model offer actually 5 additional settings (higher) here over the level 3 setting for actual effects the 600 model doesn't?

My guess would be that like with the Recovery Speed settings, it gives both a wider range higher and lower as well as finer in-between settings.  So 1=2, 2=4, 3=6 or something similar. 

My other guess is that the Iron Bias setting is a filter setting that allows some of the iron signal to bleed through even though it is being discriminated against.  When slow hunting for deep coins, for example, you might want to opt for a higher level of "bleed through" to get stronger signals on deep high conductors that have both a tendency to wrap and read as iron.  The opposite situation would be cherry picking in heavy iron where depth is not as important and you can adjust to make sure the iron gets fully disc'd out.  Just a guess, of course, but it's probably something along those lines.  This would be a very useful adjustment.  This is yet one more reason to choose the 800.  

15 minutes ago, Wayfarer said:

My guess would be that like with the Recovery Speed settings, it gives both a wider range higher and lower as well as finer in-between settings.  So 1=2, 2=4, 3=6 or something similar. 

My other guess is that the Iron Bias setting is a filter setting that allows some of the iron signal to bleed through even though it is being discriminated against.  When slow hunting for deep coins, for example, you might want to opt for a higher level of "bleed through" to get stronger signals on deep high conductors that have both a tendency to wrap and read as iron.  The opposite situation would be cherry picking in heavy iron where depth is not as important and you can adjust to make sure the iron gets fully disc'd out.  Just a guess, of course, but it's probably something along those lines.  This would be a very useful adjustment.  This is yet one more reason to choose the 800.  

At least as far as recovery speed adjustment is concerned, I am hoping all you are getting is fewer settings (less fine control) and not a compressed range because this would potentially mean that the 600 couldn’t achieve the recovery speed of the 800, which to me seems like unnecessary artificial crippling of 600 performance, though I suppose you could say the same about lack of Gold Mode and 20/40 kHz indivusl frequency selection, as well.

Detect Speed (Recovery Speed or Reactivity) ranges from 1 to 3 on the Equinox 600 and 1 to 8 on the Equinox 800.

Here are how the Detect Speed settings map one against the other:

600                    800

1                         2

2                         4

3                         6

All lack of function or adjustments on the Equinox 600 is intentional to create a simpler to operate, less expensive alternative to the Equinox 800. The settings on the 600 could be described as the most common likely settings. The additional range in settings as offered on the Equinox 800 are less likely to be used due to the extremity of the machine response at those levels, and as such they can be regarded as “Pro” settings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Detect Speed (Recovery Speed or Reactivity) ranges from 1 to 3 on the Equinox 600 and 1 to 8 on the Equinox 800.

Here are how the Detect Speed settings map one against the other:

600                    800

1                         2

2                         4

3                         6

All lack of function or adjustments on the Equinox 600 is intentional to create a simpler to operate, less expensive alternative to the Equinox 800. The settings on the 600 could be described as the most common likely settings. The additional range in settings as offered on the Equinox 800 are less likely to be used due to the extremity of the machine response at those levels, and as such they can be regarded as “Pro” settings.

Thanks, Steve.  This info is as valuable as the gold the Equinox will find.  The way this is laid out,  I conclude the 600 will be slower than 800 at its fastest setting and cannot be the throttled back as much as the 800 to trade recovery speed for depth.  Where 90% of users will typically set the machines, however, the recovery speed performance will be the same.  On the Deus I have never used either extreme recovery speed (0 or 5).  That being said, like having the additional options “just in case”, therefore, yet another reason I will be getting the 800 and one of the more significant performance differentiators that further justify the price delta.

• Like 2

Iron Bios could be similar to “balance” Gain?  like when setting the bios on an amp tube. I could be way off though.

Maybe something to do with the audio as in Iron Audio? The filters adjust the balance of what you hear from the target.