"Iron Bias" What Is It?

Good catch Chase. I have attached below the OLD (4901-0248-1)  and NEW (4901-0248-2) "Getting Started Guide". Note however that the Iron Bias icon was already on the OLD version of the guide's picture of the Equinox, but it was not underlined, maybe because it had not been enabled yet on the early machines??? But like Steve said, we will soon find out about it.

4901-0248-1 GSG, EQUINOX 600 800 EN_WEB.pdf

4901-0248-2 GSG, EQUINOX 600 800 EN_WEB.PDF

• Like 1

I looked at both and "Iron Bias" is new, as well as the icon under the advanced (800) column.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tyran said:

Good catch Chase. I have attached below the OLD (4901-0248-1)  and NEW (4901-0248-2) "Getting Started Guide". Note however that the Iron Bias icon was already on the OLD version of the guide's picture of the Equinox, but it was not underlined, maybe because it had not been enabled yet on the early machines??? But like Steve said, we will soon find out about it.

4901-0248-1 GSG, EQUINOX 600 800 EN_WEB.pdf

4901-0248-2 GSG, EQUINOX 600 800 EN_WEB.PDF

The Iron Bias icon is a variation on the recovery speed icon  - recovery speed becomes iron bias when you add the underline just as the Reject/Accept icon becomes tone break with the underline.  So the underline makes it a new icon.

26 minutes ago, tsunamiscott said:

I looked at both and "Iron Bias" is new, as well as the icon under the advanced (800) column.

Correct as explained above.

Here is what Gordon Heritage, one of the testers, has to say about iron bias. It agrees with my understanding of the control. He posts as ironhearted_gog on the Minelab Owners Forum.

The control is quite subtle from what I have seen so far - not some magic weapon. Turning it all the way up does not eliminate flat tin steel, hardened steel bolts, or other problematic items that trouble VLF detectors.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Here is what Gordon Heritage, one of the testers, has to say about iron bias. It agrees with my understanding of the control. He posts as ironhearted_gog on the Minelab Owners Forum.

The control is quite subtle from what I have seen so far - not some magic weapon. Turning it all the way up does not eliminate flat tin steel, hardened steel bolts, or other problematic items that trouble VLF detectors.

I am on that forum and its where i find things out . There is a section in the restricted area that goes into a bit more depth . 

I haven't read it properly so cant go into detail . I think i will be using my Explorers till i have sussed all the settings .

In a way if detectors get to perfect it will get boring in the field if all the surprise goes . 

I dont expect perfection , just lightweight / waterproof and have a combination of Terra and ET with a touch of Deus .

There is unlikely to be any real improvement on VLF machines in depth and i think its all about gimmicks and different ways to capture peoples imagination these days . The Equinox might be simple to many but i might have to study the machine before i get out there with it. I am too used to the easy menus and functions of the ET and Explorer's LOL .

• Like 4

My recommendation is for experienced detectorists in to toss preconceptions out the door with Equinox, including mode names and suggested uses. That's all fine for most people but what Equinox needs is a team of really curious people to simply accept it as a new item and figure it out from scratch. Preconceptions formed with other detectors will likely just get in the way, and for those most comfortable with old ways of doing things a potential turn off.

Gordon is a really sharp cookie and Minelab is lucky he has been involved in this.

• Like 5

I think it's probably similar to the silencer adjustment on a Deus. Sensitivity to iron independent of disc setting. Would also be related to reactivity and maybe swing speed. If I'm right then overall detecting depth would be adversely affected by too high a setting.

Or not.

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

My recommendation is for experienced detectorists in to toss preconceptions out the door with Equinox, including mode names and suggested uses. That's all fine for most people but what Equinox needs is a team of really curious people to simply accept it as a new item and figure it out from scratch. Preconceptions formed with other detectors will likely just get in the way, and for those most comfortable with old ways of doing things a potential turn off.

Gordon is a really sharp cookie and Minelab is lucky he has been involved in this.

I agree 100%, it's actually quite fun to learn on my own.  Sometimes you discover a first........

59 minutes ago, MineBlab said:

I think it's probably similar to the silencer adjustment on a Deus. Sensitivity to iron independent of disc setting. Would also be related to reactivity and maybe swing speed. If I'm right then overall detecting depth would be adversely affected by too high a setting.

Or not.

I agree, I like using the Silencer on my Deus. It can be very useful.

• Like 1