Michigan Fireball This Morning , Jan 17,2018

Heard the news lately? Today a fireball exploded over SE Michigan and registered a 2.0 earthquake.

Now, since we know the rock exploded, how to find the meteorites on the ground ,if they made it that far?

I always heard that when the meteorite light goes out, the rock can still be 5 miles high?

So, how would you trace it to where the rocks fell to earth exactly?

It was seen in 6 states and Canada.

-Tom

• Like 2

Guest Tnsharpshooter
1 hour ago, tvanwho said:

Heard the news lately? Today a fireball exploded over SE Michigan and registered a 2.0 earthquake.

Now, since we know the rock exploded, how to find the meteorites on the ground ,if they made it that far?

I always heard that when the meteorite light goes out, the rock can still be 5 miles high?

It was seen in 6 states and Canada.

-Tom

I saw the story on tv.

See this link.

You might be able to narrow your search area by talking with someone from NWS.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/science-says-that-michigan-meteor-could-have-been-meatier/2018/01/17/a08d2b46-fbda-11e7-9b5d-bbf0da31214d_story.html?utm_term=.9fb39a760e90

5 hours ago, tvanwho said:

They usually show up on doppler radar:

https://www.meteorite-times.com/tag/doppler-radar-imagery/

• Like 2

Thanks Lunk.

I personally saw a huge green fireball soar over my truck some years back down by Streator, Illinois, on my way home from an Indiana gold hunting trip. I never heard any explosions ,just saw the light go out all of a sudden, had to pull over and sit in a Shell gas station for 30 minutes , anxiety got a hold of  me. Looked like a giant size Roman candle green ball of fire with a short tail.

I never heard anything on the news about that one. But I did make a mental note of where I was and what direction  the green ball of fire seemed to be heading  in. My landmark was the Mazon river bridge by Streator on i55 north, fireball heading northwest.. Not that it matters now.