So What Is Gold Mode Exactly?

You are one of the people I was curious about on what you would think Tom. I am quite aware that people are really tuned into certain detector responses and ways of doing things. Equinox does some things in familiar ways, and others things are not so familiar. The bottom line is the sheer horsepower is there for sure, and the trick in coming months will be for people to best figure out how to access that horsepower for their given situation.

The audio in Gold Mode can be varied by base pitch and the Detect Speed either elongates the signal or sharpens and accentuates it.  Personally for me it works best on deep targets or small targets - weak audio signals. It took me a bit to figure out what was different about the audio than what I am used to and it is the fast ramp to peak with trailing drop off that makes it different on larger targets. 

I would almost kill to get a 4" x 7" elliptical on the Equinox as some of what it is obviously capable of will be limited by coils initially. I don't think I have ever found sub-grain gold with a coil that large before (the Equinox stock 11" round DD coil) though some of that is a self-fulfilling issue in that most machines I would use to chase sub-grain gold usually have a 6" x 10" coil or smaller on them. The 6" coil is going to be a hottie, but despite whining and holding my breath until I turn blue I have yet to lay hands on one. In open terrain the 11" coil is going to cover ground better and punch deeper on larger items and given how hot it is on tiny stuff may still be the best overall choice. The 6" for me will be more for moving at a snail's pace kind of work.

You can't see it in the video but this is one of those times where the User Profile button is handy. The User Profile button is Equinox 800 only. It allows an exact copy of any one of the other modes to be stored separately for direct access at the push of a button. Normally it would take 6 button presses to cycle from Park 1 to Gold 1. In this case I set up Gold Mode 1 the way I wanted, then "long pressed" to User Profile button to store it. Then I went to Park 1 and got it set up. When shooting the video I show Park 1, then press the User Profile button and cut straight to Gold 1. You can hear the beep in the audio when I do it. Then a press of the Mode button takes me straight back to the starting point, in this case Park 1. Great for comparative work in two modes or quick access to a favorite group of settings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for the video Steve.  Another new one to metal detecting.  My grandson and granddaughter really enjoy digging the treasures from the ground.  Can't wait until the Equinox 800 arrives and I can put it through the paces here in Oklahoma.  As a broadcast engineer, I am fascinated with ML and the new Multi-IQ technology.  Really a game changer for the detector market.  Keep up the great work on teaching us the new gear.  I really appreciate the information.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum hawk. I am doing the best I can under various constraints to try and fill in information gaps as I see them and are allowed to discuss them. I have taken some heat in various quarters over it so I do appreciate a comment now and then from people like you that it has been worth the effort. Thanks!!

• Like 2

Steve - thanks for the tip on the user profile button.  That is a great feature.  When I am using a Deus I like to "interrogate" the target using both tone and pitch modes at different frequencies and this can easily be accomplished using the +/- buttons on the Deus remote.  Though not as flexible, having the user profile button will enable a similar approach with different "modes" of Multi IQ.

Regarding Gold Mode VCO, similar to but not as responsive as Gold Field on the Deus but I see it can be a useful tool for more than just nugget hunting.

I take it that VCO cannot be selected as an "audio tone" choice for any of the other search modes - only Gold Field?

Finally, after viewing your video, and listening to Lunk's discussion of how the detector was set up when he had the chance to swing it at the conference, it really sounds to me that he was NOT in gold mode.  He seems to be describing the Park or Field tone.  But you would know best having actually swung the Equinox.  I guess the only way to know for sure is to have Lunk weigh in on which of the tones most closely matched what he was hearing when he got to swing the Equinox.

10 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I have taken some heat in various quarters over it so I do appreciate a comment now and then from people like you that it has been worth the effort. Thanks!!

From the info I've seen so far Steve I could only imagine people thanking you rather than roasting you.  I really don't understand what makes some people tick. 

Anyway, it's a thanks from me :wink:

• Like 2

The video was very helpful. Its almost like 2 detectors in one. I look forward to learning them both. I am really enjoying the positive atmosphere of this forum. Some of the other websites are truly unbearable right now.

• Like 3

Thanks Steve for all your careful statements with restrictions on you , you just have a way to describe to the savvy technical members and people like me . I might get your hat problem ( a previous thread ) soon and change sizes up to control the swelling from my extra knowledge . I still can't say I have seen the exact multi frequencies in gold mode , I'm assuming the full spectrum 5kHz to 40 kHz . Well I'm going outside to practise some more with my make believe Equinox in this heat wave .

Cheers

goldrat

IMG_0486.thumb.JPG.6f5df017743eeb809f3deddf2189fcdd.JPG

• Haha 1