So What Is Gold Mode Exactly?

Hi goldrat,

Too hot for me! As an old Alaskan I was worried how I would handle the heat, but I found I am good up to 100F with care. Anything above that and I am hugging the air conditioner!

All the modes have a multifrequency (MF) option now, and it is my understanding that all the modes on both the Equinox 600 and Equinox 800 are employing all the frequencies. It is what is done with the data after it is received and how it is processed that makes all the difference in the world. This is the "weighting" Minelab refers to. In other words, certain frequencies are emphasized and other less so depending on the task at hand. Maybe a certain frequency gets ignored entirely in post processing. I expect Minelab will reveal a little more about all this but at the end of the day nobody should ever expect much more than some generalities. I am sure the exact processing methodology is one of the closest kept secrets at Minelab.

All I know is that multifrequency is where the real power resides in Equinox. The signal frequency modes all act like a lesser subset of the full power of Multi-IQ. That is not a bad thing as sometimes less is more when dealing with certain pesky ground conditions or electrical interference.

For instance, it may be that Gold Mode in MF mode is too powerful for a certain patch of mineralized ground and hot rocks. 20 khz is a milder subset that may very well give smoother operation on that ground. Or perhaps there is salt/alkali ground to deal with. Gold Mode may not be the ticket there. Park Mode may work better or in extreme cases Beach Mode. The base mode chosen has an underlying set of parameters locked in that you start from, but then you have frequency options, sensitivity, and even recovery speed all acting in conjunction to modify each mode. What you end up with is a detector that is deceptively simple out of the box for those who just want to get going fast, yet has so much detail to explore in setting combinations that somebody like me is in detector heaven. Those that are fearless and willing to take the time to learn all the options of Equinox inside and out are going to be in for a fun ride!

Thanks for the thanks! :smile:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Now, If we could only get a BigFoot coil for the Equinox. Then I could sell my three DFX's like I did with the V3i. I've about given up on getting a BigFoot for my Racer 2 and Impact. :smile:

Steve - I actually found my first nugget with an Eagle II SL 90.5 with a GoldFoot coil. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom Slick said:

Now, If we could only get a BigFoot coil for the Equinox. Then I could sell my three DFX's like I did with the V3i. I've about given up on getting a BigFoot for my Racer 2 and Impact. :smile:

Steve - I actually found my first nugget with an Eagle II SL 90.5 with a GoldFoot coil. 

I am actually surprised NokMak did not tackle the Bigfoot or at least a Cleansweep knockoff. I figured if anyone would it would be them, but despite some lobbying on my part no hint of it being in the works. Too bad because I would get a Racer 2 with a Bigfoot type coil in a heartbeat. As it is the Bigfoot is giving me a reason to keep one of the few VLFs that stayed put once Equinox arrived on my doorstep. Right now it has a shiny new V3i hooked up to it, but I don't have about an hour on the machine since Equinox takes every available minute I have and then some.

2 hours ago, Mountain Mike said:

I went back and read part 3 again to make sure I fully understand how all the modes are setup. The only thing I seem to be missing is what is the difference between gold mode 1 and 2 ? 

Neither Steve nor Minelab have listed any explicit differences between Gold 1 and 2 defaults, so it is very possible in that case there is no diiference whatsover.  The default settings could be the same but you are free to save two different custom gold mode profiles, one in each slot.  Then again there could be slight differences in the Multi IQ secret sauce between Gold 1 and 2, but I am sticking with the no difference theory.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/27/2018 at 3:35 AM, Chase Goldman said:

Neither Steve nor Minelab have listed any explicit differences between Gold 1 and 2 defaults, so it is very possible in that case there is no diiference whatsover.  The default settings could be the same but you are free to save two different custom gold mode profiles, one in each slot.  Then again there could be slight differences in the Multi IQ secret sauce between Gold 1 and 2, but I am sticking with the no difference theory.

this may help, however her in Oz. everything I hear sounds the same in either gold mode!! and I just returned from an outing, after  noise cancelling and ground balance in gold 1 and everything was screaming at me.. am so green and frustrated..

• 10 months later...

Hello Steve!

So if the only gold you are looking for is gold rings and pendants, then the Equinox 600 is sufficient?  and for gold nuggets, pickers and small gold studded earrings, the Equinox 800 would be the better choice! Correct?

Ty..

On 1/20/2022 at 6:12 AM, DOOGY-MD said:

Hello Steve!

So if the only gold you are looking for is gold rings and pendants, then the Equinox 600 is sufficient?  and for gold nuggets, pickers and small gold studded earrings, the Equinox 800 would be the better choice! Correct?

Ty..

The 600 and 800 are same detector, and will do just as well for most people and uses. Gold Mode adds some edge for nuggets, but I could use a 600 and field mode and not come up very short by comparison. If a person can afford it I’d always say get the 800, just for all the extra options. But I genuinely also think a good 600 operator will miss very, very little by comparison, if the two machines are run head to head. The 600 is probably the best bang for the buck value on the market today, though the new Nokta Legend might change that. Jury is out on that one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1