Steve, Is There A Waterproof Plug For The Nox....

Dan(NM)

That screws into the headphone jack to make it waterproof without having to plug in waterproof headphones? It seems some guys on another forum are getting worked up about the Nox needing extra accessories to completely waterproof the machine if your not using wp headphones. Thanks!!

when you look at that threaded hole where the headphones go it does seem open to the elements. It seemed to me when I first saw it that it needed a screw in plug to seal that when not using headphones. I'll be interested to hear what the deal is too. 

There is a plug that is attached to the coil connection to help prevent loss. The audio jack is actually sealed internally so if you submerge Equinox and get water in the jack opening it can't get into the detector. However, moisture could corrode the metal contacts causing the headphone jack itself to fail eventually. Therefore a plug to keep water and sand out when not in use.

This plug has been visible in various videos for some time. Since I use the wireless this plug will always be in place unless I have waterproof phones attached.

minelab-equinox-audio-plug-detail.jpgminelab-equinox-audio-plug-installed.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Steve for the swift reply, I 'll pass the info, not the pic, along. That's  what I thought I had seen a while back, not being a water hunter, never given it much thought. The waterproof aspect isn't a concern for me being I don't water hunt here in the middle of the desert. It would seem that beach hunting covers a rather large audience according to the number of posts on all the forums. All is well once more !!!

• Like 1

So excited about this detector!  I wade and don’t go past neck/chest deep.  In the past I’ve not used waterproof headphones wading.  I do submerge the control box.  I’m unsure if the Bluetooth will work with the control box underwater.  Since the adapter only has one end that is waterproof, are the waterproof headphones my only option in this application?

Steve, your posts/explanations were the reason I decided to go ahead and order the equinox.  Was gonna wait a few months, great job getting relevant information out!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aproc123 said:

I’m unsure if the Bluetooth will work with the control box underwater

My CTX 3030 I could get the control box an inch or two underwater and the wireless would start to cut out. I have not verified this with Equinox but it is a safe bet to be similar. The normal option would be to use the waterproof headphones.

Deus gets me thinking however. They use an antenna extension wire to run the wireless coil signal above water. I wonder if a wire wrapped around the pod and run up arm and shoulder would be enough to carry the wireless signal above water? Don’t know but it might work.

• Like 2

Use the plug if you are in the salt water........ id also recommend an O ring.... salt water and fine sand has a way of getting everywhere not properly sealed.   Highly unlikely you will be using wireless if the box is very far under water unless like Steve said...... someone comes up with a wired solution.   Even then....... if you are a FULL TIME salt water beach person....if the speakers arent sealed you are talking a risk because over time salt mist will harm the phones/speakers.   It will eat up most leather muffs too.  We have this issue even with sealed ones we use.

Dew

• Like 1