Steve, Is There A Waterproof Plug For The Nox....

Dan(NM)

The rubber dongle that attaches the plug when not in use is also a soft plastic that acts as a wide sealing washer against the large shiny flat metal surface. Along with the o ring at the bottom it actually is a double seal. And as I noted even if water got past, it can’t get into the guts of the detector.

4F8B87F4-95A9-494E-80A6-0C456E542EF1.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Steve,

To clarify, if we just wish to attach, say, a regular pair of SunRay Pro Golds to the WM08, without worrying about it being waterproof, the purchase of a "regular" or "standard" 1/8 stereo male to 1/4 stereo female adapter (i.e. not the proprietary screw-in fitting) WOULD work?  Is that correct?  I am confused (maybe I'm dense, not sure!) as to why you'd need a waterproof fitting on the WM08...the WM08 itself isn't waterproof, is it?

Steve

Yes, any 1/8” to 1/4” stereo adapter should work as long as the 1/8” end is small enough to fit down into the hole and seat properly - again, note that o-ring at the bottom of the 10 mm hole. It could push an overlarge end up and out just enough to keep some jacks from fully clicking in and seating properly.

The Minelab adapter creates a waterproof junction and is a good option for people who wade and submerge the detector pod. Just keep the 1/4” end high and dry (shoulder mount?) and any headphones can be plugged in.

minelab-equinox-1-8-4-eigth-quarter-headphone-adapter-details.jpg

• Like 1

Steve --

So, to clarify, the WM08 itself IS waterproof -- such that it can be submerged along with the detector AS LONG AS the 1/4" end of that Minelab "corded" adapter is above water level?  Interesting...I didn't realize the WM08 was waterproof.

Chase --

I am not sure what you mean, when you say that a plug-type adapter might suffer from more interference than the Minelab accessory adapter with the cord?  Why is that?

I have no problem buying the Minelab adapter -- EXCEPT that it makes for an even LONGER cord to deal with, when you include the headphone cord.  I understand (assuming the WMO8 is waterproof) why having the long cord adapter makes sense; as Steve said -- as long as the 1/4" end was "above water," you could submerge the WM08 and the 1/8" end.  And thus, that long cord -- waterproof at the 1/8" end, makes sense.  BUT, if not wading, and if you place the WM08 in, say, your shirt pocket, having such a long cord to deal with will be a bit of a pain (instead of it being a benefit, when trying to run waterproof).  You already have a long headphone cord -- much longer than it needs to be to plug into the wireless module.  So, using the Minelab corded adapter, you also have the additional length of the Minelab cable to deal with.  This, overall, makes for a VERY long length of cable from the WM08 to the headphones themselves.  Not an insurmountable or "no-go" type of issue, but certainly not ideal for someone who'd rather have a SHORTER attachment cable from the headphones to the WM08, rather than a longer one...

Steve

8 minutes ago, steveg said:

So, to clarify, the WM08 itself IS waterproof -- such that it can be submerged along with the detector AS LONG AS the 1/4" end of that Minelab "corded" adapter is above water level?  Interesting...I didn't realize the WM08 was waterproof.

No, the WM08 IS NOT waterproof. I was referring to using the Minelab adapter with the detector when the detector pod is submerged - says so right in the post.

The WM08 and the detector have the same waterproof fitting only so that the same headphones and adapters will work on both.

AHH.

NOW I got it.  Sorry for being "dense" here, Steve.  Yes, I see where you said "when they wade and submerge the detector pod."

My bad.

And I now understand the purpose of the "waterproof" threaded fitting on the WM08 -- so as to allow folks with a set of waterproof headphones to attach them through the WM08, if they wished to, without having to have a different set of phones to do so...

I got it now (bowing out of the thread red-faced...  :blush:  )  LOL!

Steve

EDITED TO ADD -- Steve -- please feel free to do some deleting of that part of my post mistakenly talking about the WM08 being waterproof, if you feel it would run the risk of confusing someone in the future, who might read my post and not your reply...

• Like 2

Steveg,

To answer your other question, integrated plug adapters adapting a large plug to a small receptical are typically wide diameter to accommodate the larger plug.  The pigtail wire moves the larger plug adapter barrel receptical back away from where you are plugging it in so less chance of interference with that recessed receptical on the WM08/Equinox.  HTH.