Steve, Is There A Waterproof Plug For The Nox....

Dan(NM)

THANKS -- Steve and Chase. 

This clarifies things entirely!

Steve

• Like 1

Steve --

I'm discussing this waterproof issue on another forum with some posters, and what has come up is one point that I am not totally clear on.

The wireless headphones supplied with the 800 also appear to come with an accessory cable, so that you could connect the wireless phones directly, using this supplied cable, to either the WM08 jack, or to the jack on the control box itself.  The point of clarification needed is, will the jack on that accessory cable -- the end that plugs into the unit (or WM08) create a waterproof connection?  I thought it did, but in a picture I saw, it does not look like a screw-in connector, so I'm not sure.  IF you plugged in your wireless phones, using the supplied cable, directly to the unit, would that connection be waterproof (even though the headphones THEMSELVES are not)?

Steve

The Equinox is fully waterproof or totally submersible out of the box. It can be used in pouring down rain or dropped in the water while wading without fear. It has a built in waterproof speaker and built in wireless.

If the pod is submerged to a foot (for instance) you can no longer hear the external speaker and the wireless can’t transmit from underwater. So all we are talking about here is how to hear an Equinox when the pod is underwater. As long as the pod is at or above the surface the external speaker or wired/wireless headphones or WM08 may be used.

It should be obvious that the optional waterproof headphones come with a waterproof connection that mates to the waterproof connection on the detector pod. Now you can hear the detector while the pod is submerged. You can also stick your head underwater. Unlike some waterproof detectors you can adjust the volume of the headphones via the volume control on the detector. Some waterproof detectors have no volume control.

The waterproof headphones are optional and so if you want to use the Equinox and stick your head underwater, yes, you need an accessory item - the headphones. Minelab Part No. 3011-0372

minelab-equinox-waterproof-headphones-3011-0372-small.jpg

If you want to wade and stick the pod underwater but not stick your head underwater, you can get the optional Minelab 1/8” to 1/4” adapter cable. This cable has the same 1/8” waterproof fitting on one end and a standard dry land type 1/4” female jack on the other end. Attach the waterproof end the the detector. Keep the 1/4” end out of the water and dry. Like run it up your arm and attach to your shoulder. Now plug any 1/4” style metal detector headphones in and detect with the pod underwater.

minelab-equinox-1-8-4-eigth-quarter-headphone-adapter-details.jpg

That is it - all the options you have for sticking the pod underwater and hearing the detector.

The wireless headphones that come with the Equinox 800 are rechargeable. If they go dead while in the field, they come with a cable that has a standard male 1/8” stereo plug on each end. One end plugs into the headphone, the other end plugs into the Equinox directly or the WM08. The connection is not waterproof.

minelab-equinox-aptx-bluetooth-headphones-3011-0370.jpg

Is the connector on the non waterproof wired phones that come with the 600 also not waterproof?

Would have been nice to be able to use the wireless phones that came with the 800 in a manner such that you could have them wired to a submerged the control box without ruining the wired cord connector at the control box end even if you never intended to have the phones themselves (or your head) get dunked since wireless doesn’t work with the control box submerged.  If the 600 wired phones enable you to do this, that would be advantageous over the 800 setup.

12 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Thx.  Steve.  Probably taking a big chance anyway going deep enough to submerge the control box and thinking your head won't get wet.

Not at all. I wade quite often using chest waders and I have never fallen in yet. That said I figure for working in and around water that the submersible headphones are the way to go - one less thing to worry about.

• Thanks 1

Steve.......maybe i missed it...... but out of the box, IF they dont have those yellow phones i cant get in the water neck deep correct?   That waterproof cable/adapter isnt waterproof on one end.    My only option besides those yellows for deeper water submersion would be to modify that cable putting a CTX connector on it.   I do have the male CTX connector on all my phones so i can use them on both the CTX and Xcals.