Why So Many People Not Sure Of The Equinox?

Its good to see someone with your detecting experience and experience with every conceivable detector that is so enthusiastic about the equinox. 

• Like 1

Excellent and thoughtful post Gerry - thanks!

Like many people I used to hold off on new detectors. It is the Minelab PI detectors that changed that for me. From the SD2200D on I realized the waiting game was hurting me more than helping me. A pattern developed where each new Minelab was met by either skepticism or outright hostility. Then, one year after they hit the streets, the hostility subsided and the new model would be recognized as a new standard for performance. A similar pattern played out with BBS and FBS machines.

I realized waiting a year would not only cost me time with what history has proven are pretty safe bets, but get me closer also to the next introduction. I have seen people wait a year and a half to buy what is no longer a new model, only to get bent out of shape when a new improved version shows up 6 months later. The longer you wait, the better your chances of being caught in this situation. Long story short I just started jumping on each new Minelab the moment it was released. I have not regretted that yet.

What we are observing is not new however. It is normal in all sales channels that there will be early adopters, and those that wait for various reasons. Being an early adopter is not without risks, and waiting is not unwise for those with concerns. It really is more a personality type thing as people are sensitive to different levels of risk. There is a thread on the forum that discusses it, New Detectors & Early Adopters, that is an interesting read.

• Like 7

You must remember too that their are many detectorists that may only get out a few times a year for any real length of time and spend only a couple hours a week in parks or private residences.  Would those folks love to update with each new model?  Of course they would.  However, if it takes four years to cover the cost of a detector then the odds of them making more frequent purchases less likely.  

These are the folks that are irritated when a new unit comes on the market and touted by a company and the "experts" as being a great unit and a great value then find out a year and a half later that the company made tweaks an are putting out great unit #2 and the one you just purchased is being sold off by the "experts" so they can tout the next detector.  Of course they sold theirs for 90% of the original price but as soon as they begin pushing another one, yours is worth 40%.

This is all good for dealers and "experts" at the front of the line but it makes those of us that have to really weigh the benefits of a detector as reviewed by those who are not benefiting in any way from the review.  

I'm as excited about the Equinox as the next guy but committing the funds blindly is hard when the above scenario has played out several times in the past three years.

HH

• Like 5

I would be ecstatic if every 18 months a newer, better, more capable machine was introduced by Minelab or any other company. If it could get me more treasure, more rings, more old silver coins, neater relics then I'm all over it even if I have to spend $800-$1000 every 18 months to do it. I am the farthest thing from being brand loyal. I just don't get the angst and worry associated with an item costing $800. Some people are unhinged that ML would intro the EQ while still calling the CTX their top model. Why should they care? If the Nox allows you to swing 8 hours a day it's better than the 4-5 hours the CTX gets most folks due to the weight. 

I'm excited the nox is coming and I hope that really soon something even better comes out because it will benefit me doing what I love to do, which is detecting. If I could only detect a few times a year I think I'd find another hobby or just own an ACE 250 and call it a day. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Skate said:

I would be ecstatic if every 18 months a newer, better, more capable machine was introduced by Minelab or any other company. If it could get me more treasure, more rings, more old silver coins, neater relics then I'm all over it even if I have to spend $800-$1000 every 18 months to do it. I am the farthest thing from being brand loyal. I just don't get the angst and worry associated with an item costing $800. Some people are unhinged that ML would intro the EQ while still calling the CTX their top model. Why should they care? If the Nox allows you to swing 8 hours a day it's better than the 4-5 hours the CTX gets most folks due to the weight. 

I'm excited the nox is coming and I hope that really soon something even better comes out because it will benefit me doing what I love to do, which is detecting. If I could only detect a few times a year I think I'd find another hobby or just own an ACE 250 and call it a day. 

Exactly and totally how I believe.

You only live once, when it's over it's gone for ever.  Enjoy every moment as if it was your last.  I truly love this hobby and even my wife knows my passion for the sport.

• Like 3

The equinox will be the first detector I'm going to have from the moment of release. I knew from the time I first saw the detectival video that I would have one, even though I had to sell my Safari in order to have the funds early enough to be early on the preorder list. I'm looking forward to using the equinox while contributing to and following the user knowledge base, especially this forum. 

• Like 4

With all the speculation, it is refreshing to see Gerry tell it straight.  That is what I like about this forum, we are all detectorists.  Some have years of experience and many are new like me.  But we love the hunt.  It was 63 degrees today and I swung my Garrett Ace 400 in the yard to enjoy the weather and picked up my 5th silver from my yard, a 1943 Mercury Dime.  All during my hunt time, I was really concentrating on the conditions of the soil and thinking how great it would be when I get to swing my Equinox 800 over the same areas and what will it reveal.  Nothing like the thrill of the hunt.  Thanks for reminding us Gerry why we do it.  Mark

• Like 6

I have to agree with Gerry and Steve. I have become an early adopter ( especially of Minelab ) in the last few years. In the last 10 years I have purchased 5 Minelab units ( soon to be 6 with the Equinox ), 3 Nokta units, and a Garrett. All have found me nuggets and/or treasure. All are capable detectors. The Minelab units ( IMO) were/are the best...I still have three of them. As Gerry mentioned, each unit was/is better than the previous one.

I'm not sure I understand FTB's statement, " those who are not benefitting from the review". I understand that not everyone may be in the market for or need/want a new detector but everyone benefits from an honest review by the experts. ( I probably misunderstood the statement. If so, my apologies)

As to selling a detector for "40%" of it's original cost... knowledge comes with a price. I never buy a detector or coil expecting that it will "pay for itself" ( though a few have more than done so ) or keep one that I don't "jive" with until it does. This hobby is supposed to be enjoyable. You never know if something is better than what you have until you try it. Compared to hunting big game, deep sea fishing, boats, etc. this hobby is very inexpensive!

Anyway, I believe that the Equinox will be another winner for Minelab and am eagerly waiting for it's arrival.

Dean

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, hawk said:

With all the speculation, it is refreshing to see Gerry tell it straight.  That is what I like about this forum, we are all detectorists.  Some have years of experience and many are new like me.  But we love the hunt.  It was 63 degrees today and I swung my Garrett Ace 400 in the yard to enjoy the weather and picked up my 5th silver from my yard, a 1943 Mercury Dime.  All during my hunt time, I was really concentrating on the conditions of the soil and thinking how great it would be when I get to swing my Equinox 800 over the same areas and what will it reveal.  Nothing like the thrill of the hunt.  Thanks for reminding us Gerry why we do it.  Mark

That's awesome you get to hunt in your own yard. I live in a subdivision that is built on fill dirt on my spacious 6000 square foot lot. There is nothing of value in my dirt unless I lost it there. 

I've been cleaning out an old park near me once a week for the past month or so and will continue to do so (using my Deus) as I'm curious to see how the Nox will do. I'm digging every signal except for iron so I can see what I've missed when the Nox hits it. I can't wait, I feel like a kid at Christmas time just waiting. 

• Like 3