Why So Many People Not Sure Of The Equinox?

The only results that mean anything are side by side comparisons of two or more machines on the same target BEFORE it is dug. Any machine can follow any other machine after the fact and find things the first one missed due to differences in path taken, approach angle, soil moisture content, even the users attitude at the time. AND the most important variable - how well the user understands or "clicks" with the machine. So it usually takes a good deal of time to filter out the better machine. I have witnessed newer machines beat by BFO machines when the operator of the older machine really understood how to run and listen to it.

But, like most of you, I have an 800 on order and I can't hardly wait. !!!     :wub:

I just hope I can settle down and make intelligent comparisons.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2018 at 3:30 PM, FollowTheBeep said:

You must remember too that their are many detectorists that may only get out a few times a year for any real length of time and spend only a couple hours a week in parks or private residences.  Would those folks love to update with each new model?  Of course they would.  However, if it takes four years to cover the cost of a detector then the odds of them making more frequent purchases less likely.  

These are the folks that are irritated when a new unit comes on the market and touted by a company and the "experts" as being a great unit and a great value then find out a year and a half later that the company made tweaks an are putting out great unit #2 and the one you just purchased is being sold off by the "experts" so they can tout the next detector.  Of course they sold theirs for 90% of the original price but as soon as they begin pushing another one, yours is worth 40%.

This is all good for dealers and "experts" at the front of the line but it makes those of us that have to really weigh the benefits of a detector as reviewed by those who are not benefiting in any way from the review.  

I'm as excited about the Equinox as the next guy but committing the funds blindly is hard when the above scenario has played out several times in the past three years.

HH

FTB, I read your post and totally understand.  1st of all, I ask all customers to live within their means and I never sell a detector to someone who thinks they can do this for a living or to quit their job.  I've been very fortunate to get into the hobby because of my dad and my uncle back in the early 70's when I was 7 years old.  I would pick up and try to swing (usually drag it) my dads detector each time he'd take a break.  Then when I was about 10 I got my own and for two years I used a $59 All Metal Beeper and lived the life. 

Seeing the detectors you currently have and the kids, that extra play money is hard to come by.  I have no issues with your post and actually enjoy seeing it from your point.  Not all others will view it that way, but that is part of the fun of an open forum.

I'd like to make a recommendation that the EQ-600 would be a better fit than the 800 for your location, as not much successful gold nugget hunting takes place in the Dakotas and the cost of the 600 is $200 less.

The other option you have is the folks who jump on the bandwagon that are not detectorists.  Some folks hear the hype and think...Heck  I'll buy one of those and have fun...only to find out Success at metal detecting does not come easy.  There will be a few used units out there after about 3 months and you should be able to save a little more money.

Having a couple kids to detect with is the final goal and it really doesn't matter which models your family is using, as long as you all have fun.  One of the bad things about getting a new detector is the time it takes to learn it.  Many people never will spend the time to do it, so they never see the benefits.  If you have a detector you currently like and are accomplished with, then stick to it and keep those kids outdoors and having fun.

The reality is...this is a hobby and so if you are out there with the kids and having fun.  It could just as easily be a $49 unit doing you fine.  After all, in reality it is just dreams and adventure.. right.

• Like 3

There ya go Steve.... that may well be an answer to the question as well...... its designed to compete with the AT and Deus.   Neither are a salt water machine.   We also remember the issues with the AT ..... and even the CTX when introduced to water.   Some are just trying to sort out IF this machine will work for their style of hunting...... yet give them an opportunity to hunt in other areas occasionally.  For some it may not.   Some have already made the decision to get or not get the machine.   I have...... based on what ive been told by reliable people.  Information ...... for some they dont have enough.  It took time for the CTX to gain trust vs that kind of cash.   Many still wont take them in the salt water........ but ill bet ya they are on the pre order for this machine.   It takes a LOT of park change to afford a pricy detector...... i know been there.   Not so much for a beach hunter ..... even a blind squirrel will pay for his machine fairly quickly.

• Like 1

I truly wonder what percentage of detectorists are actually able to pay for their machines with their finds.  To me, as a working stiff and family man, I cannot find enough time off to be able to detect as much as I would like to or would have to to be able to "pay for my detector."  If I had the time due to being retred but on a VERY limited income or even unemployed, it seems that more import life expenses would take priority.  If payback time were a factor in my detector buying decision I would be just paying off my Tek Delta.  I only ever cash in clad and selling "collectable" finds is not an option and I do not find enough unreturnable jewelry to really cash in.  Also, thinking about my detector that way smacks of work and getting as far away from the stresses of work is a primary reason why I detect.  Lol.

• Like 5

I have preordered the EQ600 and it will be my first metal detector. It seems like a very exciting time to get into this hobby!  I can't wait for the exercise, being outdoors and the learning process that comes with this hobby. With all the new technology, I feel like a teenager getting his first car.....and it's a Vette!!!  

• Like 7

You have made a great choice!  I think this machine will be a really, really good one for you.

The two things you must have, to stick with and become proficient in this hobby, are patience and persistence.  If you have these, and a love for history, you'll likely find it a really fun way to spend your leisure time!

Welcome!

Steve

• Like 2