Equinox And Monty's Nail Board

johnedoe

I know the Equinox is not out yet but during all the testing did anybody run it over Monty's nail board.

Just curious .... and will be interested in how it does when it gets into peoples hands.

Good one Steve.  The only real test is in the field or surf.  No matter how much you simulate to see what a detector can and cannot do, there is no substitute for real conditions.  I have watched the "speed" videos that popped up after Dr Tones did his video from Detectival.  The other detectors may be very responsive but they are not the new technology of Multi IQ.  Air testing to learn a detectors tone response is good, but beyond that, get out and hunt!!!  Mark

• Like 3

MichiganRelicHunter posted a link to this test video on Tom’s site yesterday.. Definitely an eye opener that shows how the nail board test is of limited value for evaluating a detector. Real world detecting is much more complex with different soil conditions and as this video shows how targets at different depths changes everything...  I will be adding this test to my coin garden and nail board testing.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Yeah, that is an excellent test. It shows one way the Equinox will excel over the BBS and FBS detectors. The real grudge match will of course be Equinox and Deus.

You are exact right.  The Deus is an extremely fast machine and will be the top contender for the lead spot.

I have personally used the Deus for 2 years and have observed many of it's strong and weak hunting points.

To me the Equinox is like having simultaneous multifrequency on the Deus, if recovery speed is actually in the same ballpark as the Deus which it appears to be.  With the Deus HF coils, you can still push the Deus above the maximum frequency of the Equinox which may afford some advantages in specific situations and of course the Deus is more compact to travel with and still only 67% the weight of the Equinox.  To compete, Deus needs to come up with its own version of Mult IQ and really Minelab has cornered the market on that innovation both in terms of patents AND optimizing the feature.

It is going to be fun to watch. Despite what people think I don't have a horse in the race. Once the Equinox ships I plan on sitting back and the chips can land where they may. Lots of great detectors out there and whatever people decide is best for them sure does not bother me at all. I'm just looking forward to being able to go detecting for no other reason than to find stuff again. :smile:

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

MichiganRelicHunter posted a link to this test video on Tom’s site yesterday.. Definitely an eye opener that shows how the nail board test is of limited value for evaluating a detector.

I don't think it's a limited value test, it's just one test, one data set that tells a story, but it's only one chapter of the story.   Like troubleshooting or testing most anything, one test doesn't suffice, BUT I will say that for a serious relic hunter you wouldn't want a detector that does poorly on the NBT. 

Some detecting manufacturers have adopted the NBT as one of the hundreds of tests they perform to build/test/tune their machines. 

• Like 7