Magnet For Removing Black Sands

I'm looking to get a plunger style magnet for removing black sands from concentrates when finish panning.   I've seen a couple which are labeled 8 lb and 16 lb respectively.  Often bigger/faster/stronger means better, but not always.  Any suggestions?  Does the choice matter if the material is dry (as in bone dry) or wet (as in submersed in water)?

Bigger is not better.   When you remove the black sands, you also pick up some gold.  I use a smaller, black one (I'll try to find a picture)

First get last concentrates to one side of pan. Then pick up some black sand and drop it on the other(clean) side of the pan.  Pick it up again(you'll see fine gold left)  Shake the gold back to the first side and drop the bland sand you are still holding on the magnet back on the clean side of the pan.  Pick it up again and shake any gold back to the first side. Do this until you don't see any gold being picked up in the process. Discard that black sand.  Now pick up some new black sand and repeat the process.  Might be hard to understand but I'm cleaning the black sand in my pan.

magnet.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnedoe said:

Here is a thread I put together you may find helpful.

Yes, those are excellent videos on the subject, in my non-expert opinion.  Thanks for your reply and filtering of the many pertinent YouTube videos.  I've watched the Mike Pung series twice in its entirity and the episodes 2 and 3 several times each.  What I really like about this series is that Mike tells the 'why', not just the 'how'.  Knowing why something works not only makes it easier to remember, but also leads to modifications and/or inovations in future experiences.

Yup... As your skill level increases you will be able to make certain shortcuts that will speed things up for you.

For instance you obviously won't have to classify to every mesh if your not in the very fine gold.

Gaining expertise in your panning will also speed things up dramatically.

• Like 1