Deus Works Well On Saltwater Beach?

steveg

1 hour ago, BeachHunter said:

My Deus with the HF Elliptical Coil works very well for me at the beach, even on the wet sand.

So I’ll be using the Equinox to compliment the Deus and vice versa.

Wow, BeachHunter.  For me anyway, that seems rather counter-intuitive.  I wouldn't have expected a high-frequency coil or machine to be able to maintain stability AND deliver depth to any substantial degree, in a salty wet-sand environment.  You are getting stable operation AND good depth?

Steve

The Hf Coil is new to me but the few times I have used it at the beach it was stable on both the dry and wet sand in the dry beach mode. Your mileage may vary due to locale. Depth? Was as it always is for my area wet or dry.

Very, very interesting, BeachHunter...

That is, like I said, pretty counter-intuitive to me...

Steve

7 hours ago, steveg said:

Very, very interesting, BeachHunter...

That is, like I said, pretty counter-intuitive to me...

Steve

I’m new to the Deus so I may be doing something wrong but I was under the impression I was in the stock dry beach mode. While detecting the sand I wandered into the wet slope and the Hf Elliptical Coil was very stable and hit on what I thought was a deep repeatable target. 

As far as what frequency the stock dry beach mode was in, I don’t know. Best of luck and my apologies if I caused you concern.

1 hour ago, BeachHunter said:

I’m new to the Deus so I may be doing something wrong but I was under the impression I was in the stock dry beach mode. While detecting the sand I wandered into the wet slope and the Hf Elliptical Coil was very stable and hit on what I thought was a deep repeatable target. 

As far as what frequency the stock dry beach mode was in, I don’t know. Best of luck and my apologies if I caused you concern.

Beachunter - you seem a tad taken aback by all the questions, so let me frame this for you.  

I have owned a Deus for more than 3 years.  It took me well over a year, bootcamp class, extra handbooks, numerous forum visits, and hundreds of hours to get a handle on the nuances of the machine.  On the other hand, I was able to take it out of the box on stock settings and find $5 in clad on the first day I got the machine. 

People are asking you these questions because the Deus is notorious for not being the most stable machine in wet salt sand.  Typically, if you are hunting between dry and wet sand (actively being covered by surf, not just damp) typically requires you to manually shift ground balance to wet beach mode to shift to the lower salt ground phase readings (Deus does not seamlessly track between normal ground phase settings you use on dry sand and wet salt beach ground phase settings).  People are interested in how you have tweaked the machine to be successful in wet beach mode - it is kind of a big deal if you have successfully done it on a consistent basis.  The fact that you are using stock dry beach mode and the fact that you don't know the operating frequency with a coil that can be set anywhere between 13 and 80 khz (a HUGE range that can totally alter the machine's performance and what targets the machine can actually "see") yet are being successful is very counterintuitive to those who really know the Deus.  People aren't "concerned" as much as wondering how you are managing to pull that off, and as a result, you are going to have a lot of experienced Deus users asking you questions.  I have found the new HF coils to be quiet and stable overall compared to their low frequency predecessors.  I still have not cracked the true wet beach nut with the Deus and is one of the things that first attracted me to Minelab's first fast, yet relatively inexpensive, multi frequency machine. Had to get that last line in there because this is an Equinox forum after all.  lol.  HTH

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BeachHunter said:

BeachHunter --

NO reason to apologize!  And no, you didn't cause concern; as Chase said, it's just that your results differ from what would be expected, and what others have stated about the Deus, and so I was trying to clarify -- sort of like "how are you achieving that performance?!"

That's all; no issues at all, it's just that the results you are seemingly getting with the Deus in the wet salt sand are surprising, and counter-intuitive.

Steve

43 minutes ago, BeachHunter said:

I need more hours on my Deus. Thanks guys.

And if whatever you are doing is working for you, DO NOT CHANGE just because of what [us] so called experts are saying.  You may have discovered some quirk of the machine or something.  Just because we don’t understand why it’s working for you, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it.  But, yeah, get more hours, get comfortable and then try some “informed” tweaks.  Unfortunately, you may be spending too much time with your Equinox to get there.  Lol.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...