AA Battery Extender For Equinox?

I just ordered one of these as an experiment. In theory I can put regular AA batteries or rechargeable batteries in this power pack, and use it to run the Equinox as an external battery pack in case the internal battery goes dead. The question of course is how long will it power the Equinox depending on the batteries used?

I always have a ton of AA batteries around, both alkaline and rechargeable, so this seems like a cheap experiment. Report back later.

"This compact, portable USB power bank allows devices to be charged from 4 AA batteries while on the move. Ideal for smartphones, tablet computers and many other devices. • Powered by 4 AA batteries • Features a battery level indicator (green for alkaline and blue for rechargeable) • Power supply: 4 x AA batteries (not supplied) • Output voltage: 5Vdc • Output current: 800mA • Dimensions: 79 x 34 x 34mm • Weight: 40g"

EMERGENCY USB BATTERY POWERED POWER BANK

four-aa-battery-pack-usb-charger.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Steve

I really don’t see a problem with having to worry about the run time on the Equinox. My battery will go flat long before my Equinox plays out.

I do see this would be great if one forgot to put it on charge the night before.

Thanks for the show and tell.

Chuck

• Like 1

I have looked into one of those, too. The only downside seems to be the small output current... I wonder if it's sufficient for the Equinox.

Some phones need 1,5A upwards these days.

Looking forward to your report on this one :smile:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sinclair said:

I have looked into one of those, too. The only downside seems to be the small output current... I wonder if it's sufficient for the Equinox.

Yeah, that is the part I am curious about. If that proves to be the case I will use it for parts to make something that holds more AA batteries. It seems like all these are set up for 4 AA batteries max, and 8 would be better.

I hear you Chuck but being an old Alaskan I hope for the best and plan for the worst. The Equinox does get a genuine 12 hours on a charge so I am unlikely to need anything like this. The bottom line in this case is the insurance is too cheap to pass on - if it works.

• Like 3

I'm interested in the outcome of this experiment, Steve.  Some of the places we go in Montana are 50 miles from the nearest light pole.  We do have a generator, but Hubby likes to charge the RV batteries while I'm out playing in the dirt. :blink:

Being able to juice up some rechargeables and have them for backup power would be awesome. 

• Like 2

Looks like it will power the nox for a few hours. Looks like a fine option.  Will be using a 9000 mah charger as a backup 

I have a RAVPower 16750mAh External Battery Pack that I have for travel for phones, etc. I did use it once to charge the Equinox while on the road and it barely put a dent in the capacity of the power pack. I also have a couple smaller emergency packs. So I am in theory already set in that regard but the idea of using simple AA batteries was appealing. Just exploring options and saving you all money in the process!

herschbach-minelab-equinox-nugget-hunt.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I would just get one (or more) $10, 10000 mah portable power bank.  It's cheaper (when you account for the alkaline battery cost), less weight per mah, can give you the necessary current, and you are giving the environment a break.  (Each alkaline AA battery cell has about 2500 mah capacity).

E.g. Aibocn Power Bank 10,000mAh External Battery Charger with Backup Flashlight https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013HIR1Q2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_w2rAAbNKAEE5J

Not trying to burst a bubble (and I too am interested from an academic standpoint in what Steve finds out as to how much of a recharge he can get from the AA power bank gizmo).

All I am saying is that the state of Li Ion and Li Polymer technology has gotten to the point that using single use AA or even rechargeable AA batteries for applications where you are not constrained to using a legacy AA battery compartment is neither cost effective nor efficient from a weight, volume, energy, or power standpoint.  Heck, I use a Li Ion battery pack the size of a paperback book to jumpstart my car!

Time to overcome collective fears of being stuck in the middle of the desert with a dead Equinox battery and having nothing but a pocket full of AA spares you originally purchased for your AT Pro.  Just get one of these inexpensive rechargeable power banks to keep your depleted Equinox going and you can use its flashlight to get you back to your vehicle after detecting for 16 hours straight.  :rolleyes:

If you do have a boatload of spare AA's sitting around, though, because you got rid of your AT Max or whatever to get an Equinox.  Steve's little battery pack is a GREAT way to put them back to work for you in a pinch. :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I have a RAVPower 16750mAh External Battery Pack that I have for travel for phones, etc. I did use it once to charge the Equinox while on the road and it barely put a dent in the capacity of the power pack. I also have a couple smaller emergency packs. So I am in theory already set in that regard but the idea of using simple AA batteries was appealing. Just exploring options and saving you all money in the process!

Good clue as to how little battery capacity the Equinox needs to operate for a full day.  Bet the AA pack can get it fully charged.  Really want to know the outcome of the experiment.

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

I would just get one (or more) $10, 10000 mah portable power bank.  It's cheaper (when you account for the alkaline battery cost), less weight per mah, can give you the necessary current, and you are giving the environment a break.  (Each alkaline AA battery cell has about 2500 mah capacity).

E.g. Aibocn Power Bank 10,000mAh External Battery Charger with Backup Flashlight https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013HIR1Q2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_w2rAAbNKAEE5J

Not trying to burst a bubble (and I too am interested from an academic standpoint in what Steve finds out as to how much of a recharge he can get from the AA power bank gizmo).

All I am saying is that the state of Li Ion and Li Polymer technology has gotten to the point that using single use AA or even rechargeable AA batteries for applications where you are not constrained to using a legacy AA battery compartment is neither cost effective nor efficient from a weight, volume, energy, or power standpoint.  Heck, I use a Li Ion battery pack the size of a paperback book to jumpstart my car!

Time to overcome collective fears of being stuck in the middle of the desert with a dead Equinox battery and having nothing but a pocket full of AA spares you originally purchased for your AT Pro.  Just get one of these inexpensive rechargeable power banks to keep your depleted Equinox going and you can use its flashlight to get you back to your vehicle after detecting for 16 hours straight.  :rolleyes:

If you do have a boatload of spare AA's sitting around, though, because you got rid of your AT Max or whatever to get an Equinox.  Steve's little battery pack is a GREAT way to put them back to work for you in a pinch. :biggrin:

I do already have a boatload of rechargeables that I run my camera flashes on.  What would REALLY be great would be a way to use a solar panel to recharge.

• Like 2