AA Battery Extender For Equinox?

I'm not worried about running time . I will use it till it runs out then recharge . I do have a 26800 mah power bank that i bought months back if i am out and need to charge it up at digs . But i will most likely be keeping an RNB equipped ET or Explorer with me too.

No go on the 4 AA power stick. With four new Duracell AA alkaline batteries the charging indicator light will cycle with a blip instead of a full pulsing light. It will neither charge the battery nor run the detector. The voltage is right so we are in my opinion just barely below the amperage threshold required for either action to take place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks, Steve.  Sorry it didn't work out, but that in itself is important info.  I think you are dead on regarding the amperage limit.  I have a number of power banks of varying capacities and amperage limits.  Will test the gamut once I get my Equinox to see what does and doesn't work to attempt to bound minimum power bank specs.  I see that the Minelabs spec say the charging cable is 1.5A.  Does it come with a wall wart or do you have to supply your own?  Regarding the AA bank, you might be able to at least recharge the WM08 or APT X headphones with it.  I'd give you a "Gold Cup" but I hit my limit on "reactions" today.  That's what happens when its raining outside.  Lol.

• Like 1

On a side note:

Does that ZEKE roll over as bad as the MONSTER--that drives me nuts! Looks like it is a shy top heavy there mate.

On the blinking light--i found out when the 7000 battery charger is blinking it just won't be charging as fast, but it will charge.

Looks good tho and,  Crikey,!  I think i am going to do good with her

That's good news--- course after I said that i looked closer at the picture and realized the coil is bigger than the 5"  and that would help stablity. I was going to tie a 2x4 across the 5" one day i was so tired of it falling over......

Life is tough ...out West!

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

A necro, but based on my reading, it looks like there is enough interest in using AA batteries to charge the Equinox for me to make a post.

One possibility is to make your own AA power bank. I made one using this:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2030

I've configured it to run off of 4 NiMH cells. so it's delivering more than 2 amps of current. This should be more than enough for the Equinox, based on my online research. I use this with LSD cells to serve as en emergency charger for my cellphone. I also designed it to be able to handle higher current loads (hence the 4 AA cells), such as charging my PS Vita while I'm playing it.  Below are two pics of the power bank I made with this Adafruit PowerBoost. It's not the most space efficient, but I didn't design it to be that way.

20190414_213859.jpg

20190414_213935.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter
On 1/28/2018 at 6:09 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

No go on the 4 AA power stick. With four new Duracell AA alkaline batteries the charging indicator light will cycle with a blip instead of a full pulsing light. It will neither charge the battery nor run the detector. The voltage is right so we are in my opinion just barely below the amperage threshold required for either action to take place.

Will pack work with Nox using the lithium AA batteries.  They are rated at1.5 volts nominal voltage.

http://data.energizer.com/pdfs/lithiuml91l92_appman.pdf

27 minutes ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

Will pack work with Nox using the lithium AA batteries.  They are rated at1.5 volts nominal voltage.

http://data.energizer.com/pdfs/lithiuml91l92_appman.pdf

Based on my understanding of the device, the answer is no. It's not an issue of the AA alkalines not being able to delivery the current, but rather the device (charger) limiting the output to just 800mah of current (the typical USB mini cell phone charge is at least 1 amp, often as high as 2 amps).

For the guys looking for extra battery life for the Equinox, I have copied a post from the MLO forum where my good friend Tony Hunt here in the UK is financing the production of a new RNB double life lithium battery for the Equinox, see his comments below.

He intends to ship this battery worldwide.

=============================================================================

Extra battery life for the Equinox.

There is something very exciting coming from RNB concerning extra battery life for the NOX guys. I cannot divulge too much at present but its imminent and will be available throughout the UK and Europe from myself at www.detecting-innovations.co.uk Think small and water resistant and double life lithium battery.
  • Like 2