Avoid Getting Lost

2 hours ago, Bob(AK) said:

I only use the Inreach for sending and receiving messages, costs $15 a month. You can suspend service if you won't be using it for a period of time for instance winter

I was reading further, and it looks like they charge for simple pin drops, that being the main "other" function I'd use it for outside of navigation. I think ultimately, I want something for an iPad. I intend to do a lot of typing/note taking. However, I am worried about an iPads ability to ALWAYS transmit a signal. 

I am a big fan of Backcountry navigator PRO on my phone. Does all the waypoints and tracks etc and is free. I find it easier to see and navigate on the larger phone screen plus you can download the land ownership as an overlay

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Redz said:

I am a big fan of Backcountry navigator PRO on my phone. Does all the waypoints and tracks etc and is free. I find it easier to see and navigate on the larger phone screen plus you can download the land ownership as an overlay

WOW! OK... Looking into it now. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Redz said:

So I went to the app store, typed in "Backcountry Navigator PRO" and didn't get that specifically. Lots of stuff to buy called "Topo Maps"... Is there another name for it? Obviously the land ownership overlay is a HUGE tool I would like to use.

I misspoke, the backcountry navigator is a 12 dollar one time purchase, and is under backcountry navigator topo gps. It shows up as pro when installed. You can download the imagery or topo files or both. Getting the land ownership overlay can be googled. FYI I am just a user, have no relationship with them. 

I still think Garmin has a unit that will do everything you require.  I use the Garmin Montana 680t.  It's a little pricey but there is a lot it can do.  Do your research.  Do you want to download images, mining claim corners... etc?  Some do better than others.  Do you want to quickly download images from Birdsey (similar to what google maps shows?).   There are many options.  How big of a screen do you want?  Really take your time.  But always bring spare batteries and a compass just in case.  Technology is great when it works.  When it doesn't, have backups.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andyy said:

I still think Garmin has a unit that will do everything you require.  I use the Garmin Montana 680t.  It's a little pricey but there is a lot it can do.  Do your research.  Do you want to download images, mining claim corners... etc?  Some do better than others.  Do you want to quickly download images from Birdsey (similar to what google maps shows?).   There are many options.  How big of a screen do you want?  Really take your time.  But always bring spare batteries and a compass just in case.  Technology is great when it works.  When it doesn't, have backups.

Thanks man.. I do appreciate your input. I can almost GUARANTEE you that I will be owning a Garmin in the future. So you know, I'm pretty green to all the technology surrounding the professional prospecting business. I'm a pretty quick study, but who knows. My fervor towards this project is picking up steam daily, but there is indeed a learning curve that I have no choice but to be at the mercy of...