Did They Pre Test The 600?

Wonder how many Equinox 600 testers were out there? The reason I ask is that I found the unnecessarily crippled 600 non-ferrous tone option setting instructions confusing.   While reduced adjustability on recovery and iron bias settings makes sense because they affect detector capability, I just think the tone setting restrictions seem like an arbitrary “penalty”  for 600 users, promote user interface confusion, and are just going to frustrate the 600 users.

It was late when I got home home last night so I didn't read through the whole manual. But, isn't the 600 the same as the 800 just without the prospecting mode? Why would the non ferrous tone settings be any different between the two? Hopefully. I will get a chance to read more today.

Dean

On 2/2/2018 at 8:24 AM, bado1 said:

It was late when I got home home last night so I didn't read through the whole manual. But, isn't the 600 the same as the 800 just without the prospecting mode? Why would the non ferrous tone settings be any different between the two? Hopefully. I will get a chance to read more today.

Dean

Nope.  There are several other differences besides lack of Gold Mode and setting restrictions that became apparent when reading the pre released quick start guide and now the manual including:

No quick save setting button for instant recall of your favorite mode and associated custom settings.

Reduced range and increments of adjustment for recovery speed and iron bias along with slightly different default settings for the above parameters in the various modes between the 600 and 800.

Auto noise cancel only vs. Auto and Manual on the 800.

Restricted settings for threshold pitch, non-ferrous tone breaks, non-ferrous tone pitch, and 50-tone non-ferrous tone gap setting.

600 only allows single frequency operation at 5, 10 , 15 khz while 800 allows single frequency operation at 5, 10, 15, 20, 40 khz.  Both detectors use all five frequencies during Multi IQ (simultaneous multi frequency ops).

Wireless audio hardware (headphones and receiver) not included in the box.

There may be even more less obvious differences.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Wonder how many Equinox 600 testers were out there? The reason I ask is that I found the unnecessarily crippled 600 non-ferrous tone option setting instructions confusing.   While reduced adjustability on recovery and iron bias settings makes sense because they affect detector capability, I just think the tone setting restrictions seem like an arbitrary “penalty”  for 600 users, promote user interface confusion, and are just going to frustrate the 600 users.

I agree, while I could get along well with the tones (pitch) as set on the 600, not having the ability to adjust the tone break points would be a downer for me.  At the least they should be adjustable up to the 5 tone setting.  Best to leave the 50 tones options off the table for the 600.

• Like 1

Chase, if the Equinox 600 had all the features of the Equinox 800 it would be an Equinox 800. I guess I am surprised you would call the Equinox 600 the “unnecessarily crippled 600”. What a horrible characterization for an incredibly great detector.

Two detectors, one with less features for less money. That is the way it works with everything in retail. Is the White’s VX3 an unnecessarily crippled V3i? Is the Fisher F70 an unnecessarily crippled F75? Products are differentiated by the features they have or that they lack. People evaluate those features and decide how much they are willing to spend extra to get those features. You are being offered options and choices.

I think the Equinox 600 is a killer deal and I could use it and do just fine. It will find near anything the Equinox 800 will for $250 less. Tone options are just that, but at the end of the day people saving $250 are doing it because they are not willing to pay for the very same options you are decrying as critical.

Anyway, you say you don’t want an Equinox 600 because of the features it lacks. You are getting the 800 instead. So now you have decided to complain about the Equinox 600 because, well, because for less money you get less features? Or is it just that you personally would have left those features in and left others out?

All I can say is If you don’t like what the Equinox 600 offers, don’t get one, and you aren’t. The most feature packed detector ever offered for $649 is “unnecessarily crippled”? Where is the better value for the money? What does that say about the competition?

This information has been available for months, and now it is a huge issue? Color me confused, but I just don’t get it.

• Like 3

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Folks have choices.

Good on Minelab to offer 2 models.

The 600 model has some performance loss seems like for prospecting, but for most detectorists, the 600 model has less chrome vs 800 model, hence it costs less.

I can see some possible confusion existing in the future.

When you talk about the Equinox you possess be sure to designate your thread/post with whichever model you are talking about or asking about.

2 minutes ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

Folks have choices.

Good on Minelab to offer 2 models.

The 600 model has some performance loss seems like for prospecting, but for most detectorists, the 600 model has less chrome vs 800 model, hence it costs less.

I can see some possible confusion existing in the future.

When you talk about the Equinox you possess be sure to designate your thread/post with whichever model you are talking about or asking about.

My take is that if you don't need the prospecting modes the 600 as Steve has repeatedly pointed is a screaming deal.   Prospecting mode per the manual uses a more standard type threshold for enhanced ability to hear small targets in bad ground.

I'm buying a 600, already paid for it.  I have zero interest in gold nuggets or microjewelry.  The adjustments that the 600 lacks are unimportant to me.

I'll apply the $200+ savings toward the big coil and go deeper than your stock 800.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Chase, if the Equinox 600 had all the features of the Equinox 800 it would be an Equinox 800. I guess I am surprised you would call the Equinox 600 the “unnecessarily crippled 600”. What a horrible characterization for an incredibly great detector.

Folks,  please read my post more carefully.  Of course there should be differences between the 600 and 800.  I even said in my post that I agreed and understood with respect to the more restrictive performance settings of recovery and iron bias on the 600.  By crippled I was referring SOLELY to the non-ferrous tone adjustment settings which do not exist on the 600 and make things like the 50-tone gap adjustment different and, frankly, confusing from a user interface perspective while these differences have no direct impact on capability.

My post has NOTHING to do with the other omitted performance features on the 600.  Of COURSE it’s a great deal for many detectorists that don’t need those features and I am glad ML offered the choice.  You are preaching to the choir on that one.

My point was that the tone setting manual instructions are great if you have an 800 but have created questions in my mind if you have the 600.  Asterisks are great and all, but without a 600 sitting in front of me cannot make heads or tales of the settings restrictions.  Was wondering if they had some actual users validate that the instruction manual setting instructions make sense for 600 users when you can only adjust the non-ferrous settings, especially tone gap for 50 tones.  In fact for the 600 I would agree with a previous suggestion to eliminate 50 tone from the 600 to further differentiate it and make the settings simpler.  Sometimes companies make mistakes and just assume that as long as the more capable or all encompassing model is tested then that envelops the lesser model.  I can tell you from experience that is sometimes a flawed approach, especially from a user interface perspective.  Hence, the subject line for the thread.

Bayard

I think you made a smart move in don’t buy more than you need. That extra money like you said can go for another coil.

The thing is if you find out you want more in a detector than the 600 offers then sell it. That extra big coil you got for the 600 will work great on the 800 too.

The Best To You!

Chuck