Auto Tracking - Why Only In Gold Mode?

orgone500

I think normally a time delay is built-in to gb tracking so that targets are not immediately taken as ground changes and blanked out. If it reacted immediately you might never hear a target. With the Deus I believe the delay is about 7 seconds if I remember right.

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Folks should remember.  Anytime a detector is engineered and a manufacturer sets up default settings /methods, usually they do what they do based on the wider view of the detector itself and the possible landscapes it will be used.  Is it always a perfect system here? No

So folks as they use their units in their detecting sites to include water, curiousity will inevitably kill the cat - you will experiment with settings.  And you may indeed find better settings/methods vs manuafacturer's  default settings.

2 hours ago, MineBlab said:

I think normally a time delay is built-in to gb tracking so that targets are not immediately taken as ground changes and blanked out. If it reacted immediately you might never hear a target. With the Deus I believe the delay is about 7 seconds if I remember right.

I don't know how it exactly works, for instance you can wiggle your coil across a target and coax out a good signal. But if you simply place your coil above a target it faints away. It is sort of a SAT Self Adjusting Threshold but only in the ground balance.

I prefer the tracking on my Minelabs to the Deus tracking,... not that the Deus didn't achieve a correct GB in tracking. Just that there was a real difference in depth between tracking and manual GB on the Deus. It seems they added a little too much stability on the Deus. You can run an X-terra in GB Tracking with an offset. So if for instance you're hunting a plowed field with hot variable ground on your X-terra,... you engage tracking and apply a little offset. Or you simply GB often.

Didn't notice the tracking offset in the Nox manual,... maybe they sped up the auto GB or gave it Ground Grab.

Should have a Noxy in my hands by the end of next week,... that will clarify a few things.

44 minutes ago, scoopjohnb said:

I prefer the tracking on my Minelabs to the Deus tracking,... not that the Deus didn't achieve a correct GB in tracking. Just that there was a real difference in depth between tracking and manual GB on the Deus. It seems they added a little too much stability on the Deus.

Apparently XP agreed with you, they added a Ground [Balance] Sensitivity setting as a new adjustable parameter in the Ground Balance menu as part of the Deus 4.1 update, just released. (Update 4.0 "improved" GB Tracking from 3.2).  Enough about Deus...almost.

I too am interested in how E'nox ground balance tracking compares to Deus.  I leave Deus mostly in Tracking, wonder if that will not be the case with E'nox, though as Steve says it depends on the soil conditions at the site.

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, scoopjohnb said:

Should have a Noxy in my hands by the end of next week,... that will clarify a few things.

That will definitely make a big difference for all of us. Big - really big - as in....... big.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Apparently XP agreed with you, they added a Ground [Balance] Sensitivity setting as a new adjustable parameter in the Ground Balance menu as part of the Deus 4.1 update, just released. (Update 4.0 "improved" GB Tracking from 3.2).  Enough about Deus...almost.

I too am interested in how E'nox ground balance tracking compares to Deus.  I leave Deus mostly in Tracking, wonder if that will not be the case with E'nox, though as Steve says it depends on the soil conditions at the site.

I actually once wrote them an e-mail about what I liked and didn’t like about the D.

They replied that I probably was a Minelab user. I compare the D to Microsoft Windows. Every windows user knows exactly what version they are running. Us Mac users just turn on the Puter!

• Haha 1

It wasn’t the e-mail, the D did enough damage on its own.

Ever since I wake up at night now and again with a cold sweat and shivers running down my spine. The doctor told me I had PTDD “Post Traumatic Deus Disorder”

He recommended an X-terra once a week, but warned me that although I would feel better in the longrun,..... I’d still stick out like a sore thumb at rallies.

Well I can’t tell you how high or low the answer scales on the professionality rating,... I guess it was like their GB tracking,.... in the ballpark :-)

No hard feelings though.

Anyway, we are getting off track here. This thread is about NOX tracking and manual GB.

I have been under the impression that modern Ground tracking has a feature that inhibits it from tracking to  legitimate targets.   Dave J. said in the engineering report on the MXT that it has that feature.  Perhaps not all manufacturers follow that philosophy.

Tom

That probably is the case,... I’ve never had a minelab track out a target it flashes an ID or tone at. I’m talking about the targets you just hear a slight raise in threshold whilst passing and need to get the coil sweet spot just wright to hit it.

Kind of hard to explain when you’re not a beach hunter,... during a swing you will hear the ground change and it’s a slight jump in the usual ground noise. On the CTX its a burp, just like the ID circuit is trying to process something, but it fals short. The X-terra likes to have its threshold just below audible and again its a faint burp, but nothing on the ID. The MXT is a real masterpiece with these targets, the 11” DD digs targets that my pinpointer has a hard time seeing up close and it diggs deep on medium range conductors.

If there is any wind out there or you can’t block out external noise,... you simply don’t hear them.

We need an apple retina display with an easy on the eyes green color that’s in tune with the All-metal side and changes to bright red on a target. But I’m probably asking too much.