Opinions Wanted On GPZ 7000

Lukedb

Ok to kick this off i have just purchased a gpz 7000 spent my time with a sd 2000, gpx 4000 and a gpx 5000 all good machines if you ask me! But tryin to get a steady rewiew on a zed and bloody hell there seems to be two sides to this argument, 

A. The people who are dealers and trying to sell and in that case the thing has been sent from the gods to find gold!! 

B. Those who cant afford one and use the trusty 5000 and rag it down it doesnt perform aswell bad in hot ground misses nuggets just garbage bla bla

What i want to know is a  unbiased opinion on this machine  from an average prospector like what most of us will be at how effective it is in a variety of ground conditions. Coming from north qld the gold can come in a variety of iron rock and minerialized ground. And also any tips people have come up with while using this machine? 

Hi Luke,  Welcome to the forum and congrats on the Z purchase - I think mine is awesome but...

I have only used an SDC, a gold monster and the Z so don't have much to compare it to. 

I do know that the Z 'sees' far deeper than what the SDC will and will also see gold (and junk) just as small as the SDC.  Unfortunately that is not comparing apples with apples though - everyone knows that is the case. 

Norvic and Madtuna on here can probably chime in with something more pertinent re: comparisons with 4500/5000s as I'm pretty sure they have used a great range of machines.

Tips and tricks - the search function here is very handy.  Jonathon Porter's posts, Steve H's posts and Phase Techs posts about the Z are all mandatory reading (I think).  The little Tags that are on the start of most threads can also highlight worthwhile threads. 

JP likes conservative settings whilst Steve H runs the machine hot - both of them describe their various methods and reasoning behind them in fairly good detail in previous threads. 

Don't be afraid to ask specific questions but always try and search the answer here first.  I've been following this forum for a fair while now and have asked my fair share of dumb questions and have never been made to feel a fool from the experts.

Hope you find what you need :wink:

• Like 1

I'd answer mate but I'm not an average prospector ......... :ohmy:

I've had it the 7 from day one. It is not a 4000 or 5000. Don't expect it to behave like it. It's loud and constantly talking to you. It's like being married for a long time. You need to hear the important stuff through the noise and that takes time and practice (and therapy for some)....

It is better now on salty ground with the new updates to the software. I still have my 5000 and use it on really salty ground (think really salty ground here in WA)

All the blokes swearing by the 5000 have not seen what it can do up close an personal. It's deadly on little stuff and deep stuff. The clencher for me was seeing a mate with his 7000 in laterite ground punch nearly 2.5 foot for a 1.5 grammer. The other mate had his 5000 and heard it half way down the hole. Tears were involved.

I can hear a nugget coming from a greater distance (if you know what I mean), the ZVT seems to extrude out from the coil in all directions much further than the classic PI machines therefore I feel I cover more ground (contentious).

Tip - start with factory settings. Don't get funky too quick, otherwise you will want to wrap it around a tree. Smash out a fair bit with factory settings. You will dig ground noise in the beginning, we all do, suck it up. Next, get your head around normal mode (basically flat out) and difficult mode. Always try normal mode first, decrease sensitivity all the way to 2 or 1 before you move to difficult mode. Normal is a beast (ground dependent of course).

As northeast says above - read JP and Steve

The 5000 was the best until the 7000 came along.  That's pretty much it from my point of view.

Cheers

BB

• Like 5

Simply put as BB said the 5000 was the best until the GPZ7000 came along,  and BBs TIP to start in factory settings is the go, don`t fiddle with settings until your happy and scoring in default. It is an easy machine to use and is a killer in our NQ AU ground, I too am a NQer. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/4/2018 at 3:03 AM, Bada Bing said:

I'd answer mate but I'm not an average prospector ......... :ohmy:

I've had it the 7 from day one. It is not a 4000 or 5000. Don't expect it to behave like it. It's loud and constantly talking to you. It's like being married for a long time. You need to hear the important stuff through the noise and that takes time and practice (and therapy for some)....

It is better now on salty ground with the new updates to the software. I still have my 5000 and use it on really salty ground (think really salty ground here in WA)

All the blokes swearing by the 5000 have not seen what it can do up close an personal. It's deadly on little stuff and deep stuff. The clencher for me was seeing a mate with his 7000 in laterite ground punch nearly 2.5 foot for a 1.5 grammer. The other mate had his 5000 and heard it half way down the hole. Tears were involved.

I can hear a nugget coming from a greater distance (if you know what I mean), the ZVT seems to extrude out from the coil in all directions much further than the classic PI machines therefore I feel I cover more ground (contentious).

Tip - start with factory settings. Don't get funky too quick, otherwise you will want to wrap it around a tree. Smash out a fair bit with factory settings. You will dig ground noise in the beginning, we all do, suck it up. Next, get your head around normal mode (basically flat out) and difficult mode. Always try normal mode first, decrease sensitivity all the way to 2 or 1 before you move to difficult mode. Normal is a beast (ground dependent of course).

As northeast says above - read JP and Steve

The 5000 was the best until the 7000 came along.  That's pretty much it from my point of view.

Cheers

BB

Very good post. It answered some of my questions. Thx