Important Tip - Global Vs Local Settings

On 7/2/2018 at 6:22 PM, relicmeister said:

I'm wondering what the reasoning is for the default GB setting of 0 in park and field modes? To me it would make more sense for the default to be GB tracking. 

Tracking in a field is a bit of a nuisance, especially the very precise tracking of a Minelab. Any kind of harvested, plowed or worked field has ups and downs in the terrain even if you try and keep your swing level. So the machine is continually seeing more and less mineral. And your tracking is trying to keep up.

Best result for me at least is perform a GB on the crest of the ground. If your in a field where you expect good stuff, GB next to each target you intend to dig. Not only will this add depth, it might give you a more trustworthy ID from one target to the next.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I have to bump this as it is extremely important for people who are comparing Equinox modes to understand the different modes have different ground balance settings. If you ground balance in one mode and then start comparing other modes without ground balancing them you will not be comparing apples to apples.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• The topic was pinned
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a thought on this topic, I often will check an iffy signal by moving off a foot or two and reground balancing.  It has brought several vague targets into clarity.  Of course if one is on top of GB it does nothing, but conditions can and do change. 

• Like 3

Good stuff.  The age-old dilemma - make it easy with tracking or make it accurate with monitoring the GB and adjusting as required.

Dave Johnson, after having designed auto tracking systems for Tesoro and Whites - kind of swore off them at First Texas and went with continuous monitoring with updating to current reading on demand - so called “ground grab”.

With time and software marching on, maybe even FT will come around to offering autotrack in future machines.  The issues of course are the one cited above plus the problem of “tracking into” low level targets like gold nuggets.

• Like 1

Which is why I think the user should be offered all the options. Let me decide what ground balance method I want to use and when I want to use it. There is a time for tracking, and a time for fixed. I do not see either as inherently superior to the other. Like everything detecting “it just depends”.

Hello Steve Herschbach! Why haven't you done individual settings for the user of the Equinox? I would like to see in the new firmware separate block for user settings. Greetings to you from Russia

Welcome to the forum!

4 minutes ago, GVOL said:

Why didn't you select a setting for the user of the Equinox?

I don’t understand the question.

As far as the rest, Equinox development is done at this time except for bug fixes. Contact Minelab directly with suggestions for next generation product.

• The topic was unpinned