What do you think of headphone amplifiers? 

I stumbled across these on ebay https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NUGGET-BOOSTER-Amplifier-suits-SD-GP-series-Minelab-Gold-Metal-Detectors/302622416001?hash=item4675b39c81:g:GoEAAOSw~QRaOL48

Although for $20 I can get a similar thing from China on Aliiexpress.

My hearing isn't ideal, I blame it on my teenage years and my cars sound system as a youngster! 

If it makes those hard to hear signals at the edge of being able to even detect worthwhile perhaps I do need one, has anyone used one? do they seem worthwhile?

Thanks

• Thanks 1

I have always used enhancers...I love Jonathan Porters dual speaker system. It can be used without the speakers...or with one speaker...or with headphones. I would not run my gpz without one. 

Way back when; I used DepthMaster headphones on my Gold Bug 2...and other detectors. 

I don't have damaged ears but at 67 they are a bit used...haha!

fred

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Amplifiers, when used correctly, are great. They are able to lift subtle responses that can be missed. I love the B&Z booster I have used for twelve years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Simon. Like the two good fellows above have said. I too have & have used JP's B&Z dual external booster/speaker combo for quite a few years now & would not be without one.. Prior to the B&Z when I had my GP 3000 I used a DeTacc signal booster & always through the headphones. I took a while to be comfortable using external speakers as I loved being locked in to my own world with the headphones. The headphones blocked out external sounds & it was just me & what the detector was telling me about the ground & of course the target signals. I tried external speakers but just didn't gell with them, but a few operators out there, that I "look" up to, insisted on there use over headphones. So one weekend I deliberately left my headphones at home & was forced to detect the whole weekend with the external speakers. I don't really know what it was but something just clicked  with me & I have never used headphones since. With the Zed & its wireless audio & no headphone or battery cable.....bliss. The SDC had a too short a cable on the headphones, even though it was a curly cable it was a damn pain. The headphone jack point was the small one, just like the Gold Monster, & so not compatible with the 1/4 inch plug that most boosters come with. It then required an adaptor to make it work. But due to our insanely mild ground the 2300 hasn't been a big fan of mine. With a booster through headphones you just need to be very careful of blasting your ears with a sudden LOUD close to surface signal. ie .22 or lead bullet. More so with a silent threshold detector like the GM 1000. With the PI machines you were always trying to maintain a very smooth even threshold background sound, & any interruption to that needed investigating. Especially those very very faint soft mellow whispers. They are the ones that give you a hard on, excuse the termanology :rolleyes:, & get you excited. They are also the ones where the signal booster comes into its own. So yes, a signal booster, in my book, is a must have item. Congrats too on your just over one gram of finds in the weekend. You are obviously getting it sussed. Well done. Cheers.

Good luck out there 

JW :smile:   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks John, yes, I'm really starting to have a ball doing my metal detecting, the Gm1000 was a great learning tool to just get my head around how it all worked, now I also really enjoy using the GBP.  Now that I'm starting to find Gold my wife is being far more encouraging, I think because she's seeing I am enjoying it more than she thought I would.  She thought it was embarrassing at first :biggrin: I've had quite a few tourists ask for a turn now though and they think it's great so perhaps that's calmed her embarrassment level and I tend to wander off and do it myself now, at the start I tried to get her involved getting her a GBP also but that didn't work. 

I think I'll invest in a headphone amplifier, not so much for the GM1000 as there is far less noise going on with it, the sounds are easier to hear, on the GBP there is so much going on noise wise it may help me there.  My hearing is fine, I can hear everything perfectly if there isn't too many noises at once, if i'm in a busy shop with lots of people talking and background music and someone talks to me I struggle to hear them properly.  The GBP takes both size headphones so that's handy.

I can't believe the depth you are getting on your 7000, incredible, our mild soil has to be helping with that, at least you know that deep it's unlikely to be rubbish.

I have only played with  the Gold Monster while helping my buddy Jeff.  I doubt anyone needs audio enhancement with that detector. 

We went out twice for only a few hours, in a well worked spot and found three little nuggets...if you call 1 grain a nugget...

At any rate, be careful if you use an enhancer with the Gold Monster 1000!

fred

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks fred, I was thinking more for my Gold Bug Pro and Teknetics T2

• Like 1

Thanks for bringing this topic up phrunt, I didn't even know these were available.

• Like 1

Nor did I, I just discovered them yesterday, it seems the pro's have been using them for years :biggrin:

• Like 1

I'm hoping to use the E800 underwater, and it seems like some amplifiers might help in that environment.  Does anyone know if they can be found in waterproof functionality?

Here's something that could use the bluetooth anyway...

https://thegadgetflow.com/portfolio/tayogo-amp-waterproof-headphones-music-player/

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By SittingElf
      Yesterday, I used my APTX LL headphones exclusively for the first time during a 90 minute hunt with my 600. + sign indicating paired LL was active and all working well. 

What I found though was that the Low Latency lag of 40ms is still quite noticeable, and slows down recovery of finds.  Maybe I'm oversensitive to lag, but there is clearly a difference between wired direct (or speaker), and APTX LL.  Having to backtrack for a signal that was just heard, and finding that exact spot again is a little frustrating when I'm used to instantly seeing the position of the coil when hearing the detector signal on wired HP's or on speaker. Waggling is also slightly different. The hands-free, wire-free benefit is certainly good and convenient, but for me, it just didn't feel right at 40ms lag.  At this point, I will probably NOT use LL headphones except when it is absolutely necessary for whatever reason. I think that the WM08 that will come with my 800 will likely be a much better solution, with a 17ms Lag vs 40ms with LL. Certainly, the LL's are a big step beyond 100ms BlueTooth, but still not "just right".

As for the LL Headphones...I own the ArchMage SoundClean9's ($45 at Amazon), and they are really nice, comfortable, and sound great. They have a 50 hour operational capacity following a full 4-hour  charge. They fit my big head, even over a Minelab baseball cap. There are a lot of "Pro's" about these headphones, but also a few cons that will be found in other headphones as well.

Hunting in high temperature, high humidity areas like Florida, I am concerned about the longevity and durability of the ear cushions as they are saturated by salty sweat while hunting in the field. I think the only real solution is pure rubber cushions, which would obviously not be as comfortable. Not sure if any manufacturer has a real solution for this problem.

The ArchMage headphones controls are well located, and they work well, but are not raised and palpable without knowing exactly where they are while wearing the headphones. Not that big a deal, but raised buttons would have been a better design.

I do really like the headphones, and may use them wired in cooler conditions when warranted, without APTX...just direct.

So...this is all just my own $.02. Others may differ...but most importantly, this is my 200th post on this forum, and now I'm SILVER!!! 😜
    • By sdbirder
      I'm a former XP Deus user and have been searching around for aptX LL headphones similar to my old Deus WS4 wireless backphones so that I can wear sunhats. I purchased the 66 AUDIO BTS Pro's last week and was pretty disappointed after syncing them up to the Equinox 800 and no aptX LL!!! I contacted their tech support and didn't hear anything for a couple of days. I boxed them up to return to Amazon and just as I was heading out the door to the UPS Store I received an email from them saying "We will send over a manual firmware update in 1-2 days to resolve the aptX-LL issue." Two days later (today) I got the firmware update. The update went smoothly on my PC, I synced up to the Equinox 800 and aptX LL now works GREAT!!! I tested them out around my garden and they're awesome. If anyone needs the firmware update file without having to wait four days send me a PM. These headphones sound great, loud, are comfortable and have some pretty impressive specs with a 40 hour battery and 100 foot range.
      https://www.66audio.com/bts-pro
      https://www.amazon.com/66-AUDIO-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B01M8M4R7K

• By MCH2
      Has anyone tried the Ausdom AH3 Apt-x low latency head phones.  I just got them for my Equinox 600 and they paired right up with low latency.  I then took them to a fairground that I have partially searched.  My coin count was way down while using them.  I will check them in my coin garden tomorrow.  Just wondering if anyone else has tried them and their opinion.
      Malcolm
    • By cdv
      Finally, they have arrived, now I can put the snorkel back on.....
      Extra long cable, 41" of straight cable from connector allowing you to Velcro under the arm and still have plenty of cable to the headphones. No cable having to dangle in front of your face! Loudness is good, preliminary garage tests show constant mid 70's decibels on a target with full volume on the machine settings. Fit is typical Koss yellows and can be improved with gel ear pads which will be on order shortly.
      Cliff

• By phrunt
      So now I've got a Gpx 4500 my phobia of headphones is really getting to me, I hate the things.  
      I want to hook up an external speaker to it, I have tried an external speaker I had laying around and unfortunately the amp on the battery doesn't kick in using it so I assume its to do with it having a stereo plug on it.  
      Kiwijw mentioned he thinks you need a mono plug for the amp to kick in, if this is the case I'll just cut the end off and add a mono plug but I wanted to be sure before doing this that's what kicks the amp in.
      I've also ordered what seems to be the popular speaker for the 4500

However it comes with a 3.5mm mono plug, so I'd need to change that to a 6.5mm plug (1/4")
      The problem I see is they're being advertised for GPX detectors looking like this

So they've put a stereo plug on that one, and advertising it for GPX 4500's
      Would that not mean the amp won't kick in and you'd need a booster? 
      Does anyone know for certain what makes the batteries amp kick in? 
      Even JP sells his one with the stereo plug, I'm puzzled
      https://outbackprospector.com.au/jonathan-porter-gold-prospecting-external-speaker/
      Thanks

• By Randy Dee
      On one of the earlier posts someone mentioned that they were using The Sennheiser CX 6.00BT wireless  APTX Low Latency in ear headset (Ear Buds) and he said that they were excellent with the Equinox.
      I followed his advice and bought a set and I am now waiting for delivery of them, does any one use this type of APTX Low Latency Ear Buds and if so how are you finding them.  I am almost completely deaf and have to use my hearing aids under the cupped headphones and as a result my ears tend to become sweated up and I am not sure if all of this dampness will be detrimental to my hearing aids and it is now becoming really hot here in the UK so went with the idea of using the Sennheiser CX 6.00 BT wireless Low Latency ear bud phones, I have also bought the Avantree Audition Pro Aptx Low Latencey wireless headphones and I have used them several times over the past 4 weeks and I am finding them much lighter and with better ear scope to allow me to keep my hearing aids in and with plenty of free space to prevent my hearing aids squealing and whistling, my Minelab ML80 wireless headphones do not have the same loose cup freedom fitting and tend to squeeze on my hearing aids and set them off whistling which is most annoying.
      Any feedback will be appreciated.
      Good Hunting
      Randy Dee