Petrified Wood?

Found this large piece on my property in east-central Ohio. It looks much like petrified wood but not quite as slick as many specimens I have seen. It's also not very common to find in my part of Ohio (Licking County). Is there any way to test to see if it is indeed silicified or petrified wood?

IMG_2152.JPG

IMG_2153.JPG

IMG_2154.JPG

IMG_2155.JPG

• Like 1

Look like petrified wood I have found in Southern Utah. very much the same look and color, not the same mineralized colorization as what is found in AZ but still a nice specimen.

• Like 3

It appears to be petrified wood. A lot of petrified wood in Alaska is jet black inside but weathers to a beautiful tan wood like appearance on the outside and it just looks like wood. This one has the right appearance but it is very hard to identify things via pictures on the internet. If you have access to a rock saw, slicing an end off might reveal the actual grain/rings in the wood, which is a dead giveaway. Rock layers tend to be flat, but petrified wood has rings just like in a cut log.

• Like 4

Good chance that is wood. Should be quite heavy and like Steve said, cut a chunk off. If then it is all

solid black, you don't see the grain of wood, soak it in Clorox for a week or however long it takes. Sometimes

soaking does nothing but usually it will work. Here is an example that was all black. There are small crystals also

wood3~1.JPG

wood2~1.JPG

• Like 9

Here is a Piece of a log, I found last year! Was Lucky enough to get the truck close enough to load it.......Found in a small town in central Idaho, where they were grading for a new business park. You can see the bark, every layer is a different type and color of rock. Its like 4 in 1. Loose pieces made great Christmas gifts this year! :rolleyes: Cheers, Ig

100_0321.JPG

100_0319.JPG

100_0318.JPG

100_0320.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Bob(AK) said:

looks like jasper

Bob there is a 2ft.wide jasper seam in the vicinity....bout 100yds away! Ig

This one came out of my yard in San Diego last year during a retaining wall demo. I handled it a few times saving rock from the spoil pile, knew it was unusually heavy and set it aside. I went back to it after the project was complete and cleaned it. Tree rings visible on one side. Cuts and edges are fairly clean...almost looks chopped. Pretty cool! I have definitely become more observant since detecting ( looking down and around).

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2018 at 7:06 PM, kiwijw said:

like a magpie, over the years I ended up with buckets full of jaspers & opalised jaspers. :rolleyes:

So interesting.  I had never heard of this phenomenon (we don't have magpies in Michigan), but then I watched The Detectorists on You Tube after hearing about it on this forum.  A magpie actually became a character of sorts on the show by making off with a great find... I think it was a gold coin or something.