Petrified Wood?

I just came across this very recent academic paper that goes into many different forms of replacement mineralization of petrified wood, beyond the more recognized polymorphs of silica: opal-A, opal-C, chalcedony, and quartz.

http://www.mdpi.com/2076-3263/8/3/85/htm

Even if the article is too technical and nerdy for most to read, it is cool to look at some pics of alternative finds you might come across in your prospecting. 

I'd love to come across one of those petrified pine cones!

Are those in Fig. 12 (Iron carbonate) similar to the ones mentioned from Alaska?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

• 3 months later...

Very late to the conversation, just joined the forums.  That looks almost identical to the petrified wood on the Kenai, AK.  Pretty common but younger and less mineralized than that of AZ.  While you might not be known for petrified wood in Ohio, Ohio and Pennsylvania have a lot of coal,  this type of petrified wood seems to be found near coal seams, often times we find pieces that look half coal/half petrified, rarer to find mineralized stuff up here.

• 1 year later...

Couple of things you can try:

Hand polish the flat end with emery paper then soak as Bob pointed out to see if you can find banding.  Usually just a hand polish and wetting will work but soaking might work better because its so dark. 

Second is find a friend with a mason saw and have a slab cut for a fresh look inside, if the cuts to rough a hand polish and wetting should reveal any banding.

Here is different pic. of larger piece after simply washing.  Finger shown for scale.  Very fragile, as you can see pieces in lower part of picture are fragments of where i am pointing (fragments approx. 6-8 in in length).   Soaking in bleach, will also get a mason blade.

Thanks again!

wood 3.jpg

• Like 1