Where Do You Find Most Of Your Rings?

Skate

Here's today's finds at a local park. I was only hunting for gold rings. 

image1 (3).jpeg

• Like 2

That is a lot of tabs, Skate.   A lot of large pull tabs.   

Why do you think that you need to be digging square tabs to find a gold ring?    How many types of gold rings are likely to give the same ID as a large square pull tab?   Who would wear a large pull tab type of ring?   What activities would cause someone who wears a large pull tab type of ring to be lost?   Are any of those activities taking place where you dug all those square pull tabs?   Does that activity take place often enough that there is a good chance of a ring being lost, and, most importantly, lost and not recovered?

I'm trying to be helpful.  If you are going to go out and dig pull tabs at least understand why to dig them and where to dig them. 

I cannot over emphasis  the importance of those books titles I posted if you really want to be successful at this.  You hunt gold with your mind and recover it with a metal detector.  

HH

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:41 AM, Mike Hillis said:

I highly recommend this book by Clive Clynick.  http://www.clivesgoldpage.com/

“DFX Gold Methods: Finding Gold Jewelry with the White’s DFX “E” Series TM Metal Detector”

While he writes to the DFX, the information is valuable for the inland jewelry hunter no matter what machine you use.

There is also this one, which is very good but I like the DFX one better...

Gold and Silver: Understanding Beach, Shore and Inland Metal Detecting Sites”

This is better than just telling you where to look as it puts you in the right mentality for gold hunting.

HH
Mike

Shoot.....almost forget this one......

The Gold Jewelry Hunter’s Handbook: Finding Lost Gold at Beach, Park and Shoreline Metal Detecting Sites

Remembering a lot of your posted finds over many years I can see you had a definite edge. Thanks for the link Mike

6 hours ago, Mike Hillis said:

That is a lot of tabs, Skate.   A lot of large pull tabs.   

Why do you think that you need to be digging square tabs to find a gold ring?    How many types of gold rings are likely to give the same ID as a large square pull tab?   Who would wear a large pull tab type of ring?   What activities would cause someone who wears a large pull tab type of ring to be lost?   Are any of those activities taking place where you dug all those square pull tabs?   Does that activity take place often enough that there is a good chance of a ring being lost, and, most importantly, lost and not recovered?

I'm trying to be helpful.  If you are going to go out and dig pull tabs at least understand why to dig them and where to dig them. 

I cannot over emphasis  the importance of those books titles I posted if you really want to be successful at this.  You hunt gold with your mind and recover it with a metal detector.  

HH

Mike

All these were dug in a 130 year old park in the open grass area near a baseball backstop and what i would describe as the throwing lanes. I'm using my Deus with the 9.5 HF coil at 14.4 for my frequency. I used my gold 14k wedding ring as my base (TID at 65) and a bunch of my wife's gold jewelry that I had bought for her over the past 30 years (TID's from 48-75). Nickels ring at 58-59 in this setup so I was digging signals in this range of 48-75 and discriminating them based on sound. After 10-15 of a certain type of pulltab I could tell what it was so I stopped digging those and concentrated on a range of 58-68 and dug most of the rest. 

I know you're trying to help and I greatly appreciate it. I dug way more rings period when I had my etrac which i sold to get my CTX which I sold because it spent 3 out of the 6 months I owned it at minelabs repair facility. I've read Clives books and own nearly all of them. I hunt where he says to hunt and i've had a lot of success at the beach especially with my Excal just not in the parks.

My huge number of pulltabs is likely a combination of myself and my detector and the fact the park is loaded with tabs. I'm hopeful the Equinox will help eliminate a lot of useless digging. Only time will tell. 

4 hours ago, Skate said:

All these were dug in a 130 year old park in the open grass area near a baseball backstop and what i would describe as the throwing lanes.

I also hunt at a very old park (115 years). I've never seen so many pull tabs and shredded aluminum cans. I'm prone to digging nearly everything there because I always feel like eventually, I'll find that old silver. Best of luck to you.

• Like 1

Thanks Hibby

I dug a Miller beer twist cap yesterday at a depth just beyond the length of my MI6 pinpointer. I thought it was surely going to be a standing liberty quarter at that depth. It made no sense at that depth as i've found a silver dimes in that same park at 4". It's another reason why i dig almost everything. 

• Like 3

Just at the low tide mark . We only detect beaches at night so don't go into the water with those hungry sharks at  feeding time .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The only nice ring I've found in a park was in the grassy area behind a basketball hoop.  I usually only coin hunt in the parks anyway.  Way too much aluminum trash in the parks around Melbourne.  I have way better luck finding jewelry at the beach.

• 1 month later...

Just found my first gold ring a week ago at a swimming lake park that is closed for the winter.  Have found many silver rings mostly around side walks, 1 right beside a set of bleachers behind a high school, 1 silver ring in the end zone of a football field, 1 ring next to a fence that overlooked a football field. Hope that helps.