mn90403

What Do You Do When You Get Your Equinox 800?

Steve,

I'm going to be getting my Equinox next week.  I assume it will not be fully charged.  That will be the first thing I do is charge it for a few hours.

What should I do while I'm 'waiting?'

I know there is the Quick Start Guide .  I know there are the Beach 1 and Beach 2 modes.  Is that where I should 'walk' it before I try to make it run?

Do you recommend people have a test garden of just go for it?

Mitchel

minelab-equinox-quick-start-short.jpg

The very first thing I would not do is go to the very worst place you can think of for the maiden voyage. Do a little bench testing with coins or whatever to get familiar with target id numbers and controls, then go detecting. The presets are actually very good, needing little more than adjusting the sensitivity. My first outings I like sand boxes or beaches - easy digging - to get familiar with machines and targets by digging everything.

It is a new machine and I hope people give it the time it deserves but I know how it goes. There are many things about a detector I either like or do not like, and so for some people Equinox will fit like a glove. For others it may be a jarring experience if the machine is far different than what they have used or are comfortable with. Those are the people who I hope will give it a fair go.

All I can say is I hope you enjoy the machine as much as I do Mitchel! It’s going to be an interesting couple weeks, and I am as curious if not more so than people to hear the reactions.

minelab-equinox-quick-start.jpg

• Like 6

Good question Mitchel.

I will charge her up.

And while charging get my test targets in order.

I will likely do several 360 degree meticulous looks at detector rotating many different ways.

I will likely do a mix of testing and actually sweeping in a few sites.  Sites actually I may not find a thing in.  Loaded with iron though. I need to hear the detector's response on the different shapes/sizes of iron. So I need a baseline.  Freshly buried coin testing too, to see what gives.  As well as coins buried a while, and will sweep this one place with more modern coinage, won't dig these, but will be watching how Equinox reacts.  Will also try to booby trap a dime and nickel to see how detector reacts/ responds to super duper imo challenged scenario.  To give me something to go on when in the wild detecting.  I actually don't expect to find much at all my first week with Equinox.  But do expect to gather some great Intel on detector performance.  My nighttime hours when not detecting, likely run Equinox on pack indoors and play with menu settings to get the navigation nailed down.  I will be very busy with detector.  The mighty Deus will be brought out for some comparisons too.  I will share my experiences, my concerns, give the detector what it truly deserves- a fair and honest report.  

• Like 3

I won’t be able to control myself.. I’ll probably be out in my test garden within the first ten minutes...  

Bryan

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I guess I have a ritual when it comes to a new detector, right or wrong it’s just what I typically do.

Prior to receiving a new machine I usually study, not just read the manual.  Sometimes it might be a couple times before I have a fairly clear understanding as to what each function/setting does.

When it arrives, of course I assemble and install new batteries if it’s not a rechargeable unit, else plug in and charge according to recommendations.

Next will be the test bench where I’ll check several different coins and jewelry items, just to see what each sounds like along with their TID.

Then off to the test garden, which is very exciting for me because of the age factor on the buried items.  10+ years has revealed a lot of important information from the many detectors used in this area.   Some have done well and others just outright failed to perform even close.  I might add, even the most expensive machines were not the top performers which was quite shocking at times. 

Please note: the test garden, even though it’s been undisturbed for 10+ years, it’s not a full proof way of testing, but it will give a good indication of what might be expected on an actual site.

• Like 3

After it charges up, I'll be off to the beach with a nail, a pull tab, a bottle cap, some gold/silver jewelry and some coins in my pocket.

• Like 5

Probably just gonna enjoy that new detector smell for a few minutes.

Charge it 

test garden

put my socks back on after it blows them off

brag to the wife about money well spent

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Norm S
      For almost 5 weeks I had been hitting a park for about 2 hours a days and raking in the clad and a few rings. I averaged $3.50 - $4.50 everyday and found a little over $150 in that park alone. The last 3 hunts I went through to clean up on targets I had passed over when I was collecting 9 to 15 quarters in each hunt. I finally got it down to finding only 50 cents during the last hunt so I started looking for a new place. I hit a few places with littles success and a cpl where I found 5 cents or less. 
      Well I found this place I had been eyeing for two years and it was finally open so I hit it about 5 days is a row and collected $40+ in clad plus a rubber duckie..lol On the 6th day I went back and it was locked up again so I couldn't hunt and moved on to places I knew were hunted heavily if not hunted out. So for the past week I been struggling to find $1 in clad on each hunt and a cpl times nothing at all. 
      Yesterday morning I drove past my new honey hole and the gates were unlocked so I drove in. It was already getting hot about 86 degrees when I got there but I decided to hunt anyway. I started where I left off and as soon as I put my detector to the ground while adjusting the head phones I had a 30 signal dug my 1st quarter before I even swung my coil once. In 1 hour and 15 minutes I walked out of there with $5.72 in clad. I went back this morning and in one hour I found $4.75 in clad. I also found a way to get in without going through the main gate. Yes I have permission to hunt there. The beauty of this site is I am the only one that has hunted it..
      I have about 50% of the place hunted and I think maybe I have at least one more week to get it pretty well hunted out. 
      I still hit a bottle cap or two but I can usually tell what it is even with a flattened bottle cap. I can't explain it but they give off a different or even multi tone even though the target id is 29 - 30. There is a lot of trash there but the Equinox ignores 95% of it unless a bottle cap or tab. 
    • By NSC
      Hi,
      Miners Den retail stores are having a sale on both the 600 & 800
      http://www.minersden.com.au/minelab-equinox-800-multi-iq-with-11-inch-dd-smart-coil
    • By Happa54
      Hey Everyone...I hope you all had a great weekend hunt.
      At present time, I'm chasing buffs & V nics. I did enough silver and wheats since last year and I want to focus on different things one category at a time.
      This morning I was able to spend approx 3 hours at a 3-4 acre 1920's park until they took over the field for soccer. Got 6 nics and other goodies. 
      There were just as many quarter signals as there were dimes and pennies signals. Tells me that it isn't getting hunted much, if any... right?
      In my quest for nics, I'm blocking out everything except 12/13 and 18+ and I have been doing well with the nics this way. If a silver gets in the way, then it's icing on the cake. 
      What prompted me to write is this morning I dug a nic with an erratic signal and it got me wondering. It rang up as a weak 12/13. Threw it in AM and a 16 pops up, then a 14, but then drops back down to 12/13.  Threw it in 10khz and the numbers didn't move much. I decided to dig which I normally would not do if it isn't a steady 12/13. But I did anyways, then out comes a bent, slightly cut Jefferson. There was nothing else in the hole after a 2nd sweep of the coil. This now makes me wonder if I need to open up the numbers a little more... like maybe 11 - 14? I don't want to miss that V or Buff. 
      Thanks for stopping in and giving your feedback.

• By schoolofhardNox
      Well today was beach hunt #7 with the Equinox. There wasn’t a lot of detecting room, with the way the tide was today. Also, a lot of people walking and laying out on the beach. It’s getting crowded out there. I was hoping to keep the streak alive today and I didn’t have to wait very long. First good target was the pink stone 14 K Gold ring. I almost didn’t believe it. That made the rest of the hunt less stressful and more enjoyable, as the gold streak would continue. But I didn’t expect to get too much more, but the finds kept coming.  All the time I just kept shaking my head, I can’t believe what Minelab has done!!! 4 gold rings, some silver and a small amount of clad. The broken class ring was found in 2 separate holes about 60 ft apart. The breaking points match up perfectly…they were part of the same ring. The tiny targets were out in full force, as well as the pull tabs too. A small price to pay for the good finds that can come with it. Probably the smallest chain this machine can pick up. Had a hard time locating it once it was out of the hole. I was glad to get out today… a picture-perfect weather day!

• By Steve Herschbach
      I posted this on the Minelab Equinox Parts & Accessories thread but wanted to make sure it was seen so here is a new thread on the subject. I took the basic price list informations, spruced it up, and added the prices from a couple U.S. retail websites. All the MAP or Internet Prices for all the Equinox accessory items except the 15" coil.
      EQX 06 Double-D Smart Coil (includes skidplate)
      Part No. 3011-0333 $179.00
      EQX 11 Double-D Smart Coil (includes skidplate)
      Part No. 3011-0334 $229.00
      EQX 15 Double-D Smart Coil (includes skidplate)
      Part No. 3011-0335 Unknown
      EQX 06 Skidplate
      Part No. 3011-0376 $10.00
      EQX 11 Skidplate
      Part No. 3011-0377 $18.00
      EQX 15 Skidplate
      Part No. 3011-0378 Unknown
      USB Charging Cable with Magnetic Connector
      Part No. 3011-0368 $20.00
      2-Way USB Car Charger
      Part No. 3011-0375 $20.00
      4-Way Universal AC Charger
      Part No. 3011-0374 $40.00
      WM 08 Wireless Audio Module (includes Charging Cable)
      Part No. 3011-0371 $259.00
      Minelab Bluetooth / apt-X Low Latency Headphones
      Part No. 3011-0370 $139.00
      Waterproof Equinox Headphones
      Part No. 3011-0372 $149.00
      Headphones (wired) 3.5mm / 1/8-inch
      Part No. 3011- 0364 $30.00
      Headphone Adaptor Cable 3.5mm (1/8-inch) to 6.35mm (1/4-inch)
      Part No. 3011-0369 $40.00
      Screen Protectors (Set)
      Part No. 3011-0379 $12.00
    • By schoolofhardNox
      I have the pleasure of sporting the worst cold I have ever had. I should be doing battlefield metal detecting, but for the past 5 days I am just enjoying this cold.😡 So, not feeling like doing any real work or going anywhere, I decided since my beach hunts are over until fall, I would gather up and count and post all my finds for the whole season…. A season wrap up, if you will. Since I couldn’t muster up the enthusiasm to do everything in one post I figured I would at least post the good stuff. So here it is – the Gold and Silver finds from last Labor Day thru this Memorial Day. I managed 36 beach trips, not sure how many hours but probably about 250 hours of detecting. The breakdown goes like this: Gold total – 36 pcs, at an average of 1 pc per visit. Silver total (coins and other) – 207 pcs, at an average of 5.75pcs per hunt. The breakdown for silver is: 146 coins consisting of 6 Half Dollars, 27 Quarters, 98 dimes, 15 War Nickels. The other items (rings, chains, earrings, pendants, odd broken pieces etc.… - amounted to 61 pcs. Coming later “someday” will be the clad count, and a breakdown of the junk items to show the ratio of good to bad that comes with the territory. It was a great season for me and I look forward to shifting gears and doing the battlefield hunting and maybe some cellar hole hunting if I get a chance. And since I have neglected my other hobbies, maybe doing some of those until Labor Day.  Most of the gold was found because of the Equinox, probably 75-80% of it. Most of the silver was found with the GPX (at depth) probably 90% of it. Not a great comparison since I have found most of that gold in 8 visits and the silver was found with about 28 visits and I was specifically looking for deep silver, so I did not use the Equinox for that, mainly due to the fact that it was busy finding gold  Seriously, I was too inexperienced to get that kind of depth out of the Equinox, as most of that silver was in the 14" deep range, basically sitting on a clay layer with the sand above it containing small wisps of very fine black sand.  But that combination worked well for me and I'll probably stick with it for a while.