Sign in to follow this  

One of the reasons I find the Complete Zip Zip so valuable a read as an inland jewelry hunter is that he really gets into how important it is to set up your detector to hear the desired target.  I may not be out in the boonies prospecting for raw gold, but I find the premise is the same for processed gold in urban sites and I attribute many of my gold finds to setup tips I learned in this book.   Its information is valuable enough to me that I try to re-read it at least once a year.

If you are a dedicated gold hunter you want this in your library if you can get it.   I wouldn't pay 100 bucks for it, but I'd pay 30 - 50 dollars for it if I was to run across one at that price.   

HH
Mike

• Like 1

On 2/7/2018 at 8:16 PM, kfstevens2370 said:

Here is a copy of The Complete, Unabridged Zip Zip by Larry Sallee offered on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-COMPLETE-UNABRIDGED-ZIP-ZIP-by-Larry-Sallee-Metal-Detector/273059979198

United States Ebay

Oh well if you don't want to buy the book you could read the 20 some pages of the book on the e-bay site I posted above. I have a copy and I payed over $200 for it like four years ago. My first time out in the mountains paid for the book. 

• Like 1

It's funny how that works with books when they go OOP and the price sky rockets.

I collect antique blown art glass (think Tiffany, Steuben, Loetz, Galle, Daum, etc) and there are several books that have had a similar impact.  As it's a fairly small, niche market, publishers may only print 500-1000 copies, never to be printed again.  The better books with excellent, scholarly researched material and good photos can command big money.  For example there was a set of two books made for a 1989 exhibition in Passau, Germany that became the bible on that glass maker.  They likely sold new at the museum for 50 Euros each (or equivocal Deutsche marks as Euro's didn't yet exist for another ten years), but before the Internet became mainstream, in the 1990's to early 2000's the two book set was selling for upwards of $2500!  After the Internet started becoming more mainstream, they were available for ~ $500 a set. I've witnessed this phenomenon several times on low volume published art glass books.  If I only knew which ones to load up on before this phenomenon occurred, I'd be rich!!

1 hour ago, kfstevens2370 said:

Oh well if you don't want to buy the book you could read the 20 some pages of the book on the e-bay site I posted above. I have a copy and I payed over $200 for it like four years ago. My first time out in the mountains paid for the book. 

To be honest, I'm unsure why someone hasn't bootlegged that book?  With the plastic DIY binding it would be the easiest book on the planet to scan, take to Kinko's (or whatever it's called these days) and have 100 copies made that look identical to the originals and turn a $20 per copy replication cost each into a $100 per unit profit....not that i condone copyright infringement, but just sayin' it wouldn't be rocket science to do so, or heck even scan it into a PDF file.

I had that neat little book but I gave it to a friend that had a White Gold Master.  He Never used his detector and I do not think he ever read the booklet, but that's ok, he is a friend and I will not ask him to return the book.  Good little book.

Sign in to follow this