Finally Get Out To Hunt - Panning And Mding

This last month has been crazy with no time for self-mental preservation. I told everyone to pound sand on Sunday as I'm going out hunting.

I decided to do a little prospecting as well as some coin/jewelry hunting - both in one day. So I packed it all up and headed out.

Got to a beautiful area that has a little Au if you're lucky and had a few crevasse areas I've been wanting to clean out.

Spent about an 1-1/2 hrs cleaning it all out and panned it down. It looked SO promising as I was digging, but alas only some lead buck shot and a .22 slug.

Had a sandwich and enjoyed the views and packed it up to go higher in elevation for some coin shooting. 

gbone_pic1.thumb.jpg.c6e684328750c0590319adc03d854bf5.jpggbone_pic3.thumb.jpg.eb4cf7b07f384250ff00a5b8f76712dc.jpg

Hiked down into a great little campground that was closed for the winter and hit it for about 3.5 hrs for a total of a little over $8 in clad.

No Silver or wheaties nor rings. I did hit a pocket that had these little gold plated charms that were all attached to a bracelet at one time.

Each one rang out like a nickel, so I was getting excited after each one, but closer look showed plating wearing off.......wah,wah,wah. 

gbone_pic4.thumb.jpg.1ab43cb5f9b655e974f7237be2509b50.jpggbone_pic5.thumb.jpg.54ec900f499651cd0736f2d1c1a851ce.jpg

But I did get my outdoors/prospecting/treasure hunting jones out of the way for a little bit.

the campground I went to had 30+ sites and I hit maybe 7 of them for the day. So I know there is more to go back for another day.

My 6" coil would have been a better choice for the trashy sites, but still good practice picking good signals out between the trash.

Cheers all!! 

G

• Like 2

I also got one of these.....Canada 5 Cent piece. 

This thing is all over the place on Target ID. It never gives the same read out on every pass.... and it's magnetic.

If I was using discrimination, I would've flew right over it. 

gbone_5c_canada.thumb.jpg.3fdf1250869b1b23ee8c077f96d3d81d.jpg

49 minutes ago, Gbonus uralias said:

I also got one of these.....Canada 5 Cent piece. 

This thing is all over the place on Target ID. It never gives the same read out on every pass.... and it's magnetic.

If I was using discrimination, I would've flew right over it. 

gbone_5c_canada.thumb.jpg.3fdf1250869b1b23ee8c077f96d3d81d.jpg

Hello GU,

The reason the nickel was reading all over the place is the coin is made of 94.5% steel, 3.5% copper and 2% nickel. I also found one this week a 1948 Canadian nickel and it was reading all over the place like yours on my detector, but my coin is made of 100% nickel and is also magnetic. Glad you able to get out for a little enjoyment!

Hey phrunt and thanks.

A fun relaxing day overall even with all the work...

I've been using ol blue (705) exclusively as of late and forcing myself to go with no discrimination.

Its tough in trashy sites but I would've missed the Canadian nickel otherwise. 

Goldie is great too but I wish she had tone variance vs just the one sound ( I call it the crazy quail sometimes).

I like to look up and around while swinging and still know what a target might be just by tone.