Found Bracelet - Gold or Brass or......?

tvanwho

Try to hit is with some 600  or 800 grit sandpaper.....you will find out fast and not ruin anything

Well, I finally got off my butt and took the bracelet to my coin dealer. He agrees with all of you who said that a 14 K, 10 k,18 K, etc . gold ring or bracelet SHOULD LOOK NEW  even if it comes outta the ground . If tarnished or dull, it is a very good chance it is fake, which mine is,  he says. If it had been real, the bracelet would have been worth about $230....He no longer uses nitric acid to test, but another less corrosive chemical.

He also told me ANYBODY can buy a gold/silver stamp and stamp a jewelry item and there is LOTS of Fraud these days on such items, even on Silver and gold bars and silver medallions  and especially rare coins. He told me if one needs to buy Silver for an investment, to always buy American silver coins from before 1964 as these are never counterfeited. I was also told that Gold Filled or GF or 1/10 of 10 K etc jewelry does have some value, not much, but NOT worthless, whereas Gold Plate is worthless.

-Tom